You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Horrific
 Rep: 7 

Re: GUNS N' ROSES N' Promises: Is 'Chinese Democracy' Ever Coming Out?

Horrific wrote:

Peter Hartlaub of the San Francisco Chronicle reports: There's something missing this holiday season, and it's not just the lack of inclement weather.

For the first time in years, nobody is spreading rumors about the imminent arrival of a new GUNS N' ROSES album. "Chinese Democracy", which has been on the verge of coming out for the better part of a decade, currently has no pre-release buzz, a fact that makes us want to start a rumor right now. Things are a little bit too quiet ...

At this point, though, it might be better if the album didn't come out. A release of "Chinese Democracy" would be like O.J. Simpson suddenly finding the real killer. Aging metal-heads' hearts would give out. Stock markets would crash. MTV newsman Kurt Loder would probably have to stop working, and so would Larry King. (At this point, does anyone doubt that they're the same person?)

When Peanuts creator Charles Schulz announced his retirement in the late 1990s, there was much talk about his final strip. One popular prediction was that Charlie Brown would finally get to kick the football '” advice that Schulz very wisely didn't take. If Charlie Brown kicked the football, it would undo 50 years of good comics with one bad one.

That's exactly how I feel about "Chinese Democracy". We, the remaining GUNS N' ROSES fan base, are Charlie Brown. The album is the football. And Axl Rose is Lucy, repeatedly setting deadlines he knows he'll never make, because the public is gullible enough to believe him. (I think Slash is Schroeder in this analogy, and Stephanie Seymour is the Little Red-Haired Girl, although I haven't totally thought that part out.)

Read the entire article at:

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.c … DTH03G.DTL

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

He makes really good points, and the Lucy-Charlie Brown analogy is a good one.

He's right. The release of the album changes things, on many different levels. Last but not least the nail in the coffin of the old band, which is a risky endeavor for a man who depends on money coming in from that legacy.

There is a pretty big chance this never gets released.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

Baz, the 2007 news outlet for GNR.

Rock My Monkey: Do you have any idea when fans will get to hear you sing on the Chinese Democracy song, "Sorry"?

Sebastian Bach: I think it will be sooner rather than later. I really do, because I've heard it. I know Axl was very serious about putting something out before Christmas. He was talking to me about it. He was talking about finishing liner notes. I don't know what happened. I don't know why the fuck it didn't happen. I know it wasn't him. People like to say 'Why doesn't Axl put out his record?' I think there's a lot of business shit that goes on with him. It's just not as easy. It's a little more complicated than people think. - Rock My Donkey

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
sic. wrote:

Baz, the 2007 news outlet for GNR.

[i]Rock My Monkey: Do you have any idea when fans will get to hear you sing on the Chinese Democracy song, "Sorry"?

Sebastian Bach: I think it will be sooner rather than later. I really do, because I've heard it. I know Axl was very serious about putting something out before Christmas. He was talking to me about it. He was talking about finishing liner notes.

You know, this type of thing just doesn't excite me anymore. We heard virtually the same thing in 2002 from Axl's mouth. Not about Christmas, but how far along they were in the records completion.

I will have to see concrete evidence before I ever believe the album is finished.

Yeah it's good analogy but just last night the new Charlie Brown Christmas was on, not the original so the Charlie Brown legacy is not over, it's certainly not the same but it's continuing on.   Axl should do the same thing, I do believe that Baz has a point that it's not all Axl but we will never know unless we get some sort of official info regarding what the status is of CD at this time.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Horrific wrote:

For the first time in years, nobody is spreading rumors about the imminent arrival of a new GUNS N' ROSES album. "Chinese Democracy", which has been on the verge of coming out for the better part of a decade, currently has no pre-release buzz, a fact that makes us want to start a rumor right now. Things are a little bit too quiet ...

I guess these guys havent checked Amazon or HMV lately 16

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

You know, this type of thing just doesn't excite me anymore. We heard virtually the same thing in 2002 from Axl's mouth. Not about Christmas, but how far along they were in the records completion.

I know, and the very same thing crossed my mind. Axl specifically said they had a tracklist and even the cover art ready - which leads one to wonder why on earth the album wasn't released back then if they were so far in the process.

In any case, all these little snippets do lend credibility to the claim that the album is (again) near completion, and that it's Axl's wranglings with the label that's currently holding it up. It's not worth to get excited though, as anyone who thinks all Axl had to do was to finish up his album forgets all the behind-the-scenes shenanigans that've went down in the past years. A label doesn't cut funding unless they're drastically displeased with the progress the band had been making up to that point, and they certainly won't release the album until Axl's willing to get into the same room with them again and hash out all that's been said and done.

If so, I wouldn't think the silence to be unfounded at the moment. If Axl is truly negotiating with the label right now, speaking aloud on CD would be the worst thing to do, as it could compromise his position and whatever claims he might have on Universal. After 14 years and almost any many millions of dollars, he barely has a foothold there as it is.

Board footer