You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

Re: Axl Rose Insists Original Guns N' Roses Lineup Is Dead and Buried

jorge76 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

GNR is NIN now. This is the second interview where he pretty much admits this, so any aspect of this being a 'band' environment should be tossed out the window. I have nothing against it being NIN and have said it should be marketed as such for years, but maybe now various nutswingers will stop proclaiming GNR is a band like they used to be years ago. They aren't, and the man himself admits it.

I thought the same thing reading it, but I also kinda get the feeling if Axl were directly asked even after saying the things that he did, he would have said, "No, we're a band.  We're just a band with two drummers and I'm not real sure who the guitar players are."

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

A couple of points to make, before moving on to the steak. Del James is not a music journalist. Del James is the gypsy of GN'R, and I say that in the nicest, most respectful way possible. I will say, Del pretty much hit it out of the park on the QUESTIONS. Del asked precisely the right questions, and I want to give him a hand on that. It was Axl that didn't elaborate in places.

I also feel Axl is being a bit shafted throughout all of this. I've been around the block, and when it was Slash coming out and trashing Axl, it was "boy that Slash, he's tellin' the truth!". Now when Axl does it, "I wish he'd just shut up about Slash. He's really obsessed. Slash has moved on, why can't he?".

It's simply not true. It's GN'R fans rationalizing away the destruction of the old band. Instead of just ACCEPTING the FACT that old GN'R was not destined to last forever, they have to place blame. They have to get someone, and Axl's an easy target. If Axl doesn't say anything, it's "why doesn't he defend himself? Slash must be right." If Axl does say something, it's "Axl's so petty, and small. Slash was right". He's damned if he does, and damned if he doesn't.

Axl really was right all along - people don't want to hear what he has to say. I DO. But i'm big enough that I can deal with it. Not like alot of these lightweights in the GN'R community that are crying in their beer, because a reunion is never gonna happen. Because Axl & Slash aren't the best of buds, and good drinkin' buddies, that they act like they just got raped. Seems to me the most immature babies in all of this, are the fans that can't accept reality, and cling to 'using their illusion'.

The best album ever made...

This was something the BAND blew out of proportion. Not the fans. You had all kinds of insiders saying crazy shit about how it was gonna be the best rock record ever made, then it was being backed up by actual GN'R members. That spiraled out of control the hype of CD.

But I do believe Axl was stuck here. You can't overly praise your record, but you also can't trash it at the same time.

Did you break up old Guns?

This was a bit saddening. Not disappointing, just Axl expressing his opinion, although I had wished it'd been a bit more positive, in respect to the ALBUMS, and not necessarily the band. He really doesn't seem to promote the Illusion albums in any way, which is sad. I've said it for years, the irony of it all is AFD is the best ALBUM, and yet UYI has the best SONGS. Axl apparently only likes a few, I guess, and that would greatly explain the lack of Illusion material in the new Guns shows.

Seems to me in a sense that he doesn't let Appetite dictate how he makes an album, yet at the same time he judges everything up next to Appetite in terms of quality, and doing that... ANYTHING will fall short.

Why not just do Appetite songs yourself?

This was a bit of a weird answer, in terms of reading it. I guess the bottom line is Izzy would never want to be apart of Guns full-time again, whether current or reunion.

Reunion?

He pretty much just backs up here what he's already said. He's open to future collaborations with Izzy and Duff, but beyond that, he's content with the Trent Reznor-esque existance of new Guns.

Wouldn't you make more money?

This pretty much shut down all the "Axl's as much of a money whore as Slash" folks.

Bottom line here... everyone has a price to sell out their soul... nobody's found Axl's price yet.

And I think Axl also kind of touched on what I was talking about a couple weeks back. In hind sight... none of these guys should've ever been in a band. They don't have what it takes to make it work. Solo acts were more suited for them, and it also backs up the fact that old Guns was destined to die with those players involved.

Didn't you say you loved him 2006?

Misquote... yeah, sure. This is copping out. He said it, he knows he said it, and maybe he had gotten some good bud that day or what, either way, it was a bit lame to see him back out of that statement, in favor of hating the guy.

Do you think he can play guitar?

This was the most Del James question on this whole thing. Obviously an "ex-employee" stab. Obviously the man can play guitar, and Axl's said that before, POST-Slash's tenure with GN'R.

I do agree that Slash hasn't found the same kind of sound since leaving Guns, but *cough* neither has Axl.

Who's in the band?

Just like Trent. Whoever is available to tour.

Brain

Good to hear Brain is still on board.

When's the next album?

I'm assuming this attitude has more to do with "we FINALLY got out Chinese, and your wanting to know when the next is coming out?!?!?! Jeez" is more that kind of attitude. I think Axl should look at this as positive. Enough people enjoy this album that they are looking forward to the next.

How much material is there?

I believe this, and i'm glad he cleared this up. I'm guess three albums worth of material were recorded, with TWO SOLID albums of material being the end all final product. The rest are just B-sides, and cutting room floor tracks. I think that'll be the legacy of Chinese Democracy.

Robin

I couldn't care less whether he comes back or not. He's a shit guitarist. Same goes for Richard.

I respect him for this... "to hell with the pressure, i'm not caving in!"

The man is standing by his word.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
madagas wrote:
-D- wrote:

so if a guy with holds millions of dollars from u and is trying to cheat u out of royalties, u wouldnt sue?

Come on

I just wish Slash would take the gloves off and fire back. THAT would be entertaining.

Where exactly is your proof that Axl withheld royalties from Slash? Filing a lawsuit and stating a complaint is not proof, it is making an allegation. That's right, you have no proof. I, on the other hand, have proof that Slash filed two lawsuits against Axl, and Slash subsequently dropped those two suits. Again, friends don't file lawsuits against friends. 15

Yes, he did with hold money from Duff and Slash and was forced to pay and also limited income when not signing off on Black Hawk Down and other movies.  Also Merc stole from Slash by illegally using his artwork.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Axlin08, people take the Slash side for many reasons.  Also, Slash NEVER talked this bad about Axl.  Saying he was late to shows, or wanted to rehearse late in the evening, or that he caused a riot isn't bashing, its facts.  He still consideres Axl a brilliant singer. 

In the past Axl has said he had never seen anyone play guitar like Slash could fucked up. He also said he was very talented, but questioned people he played with.  He seems jealous Clive Davis wasn't gushing over him.  Slash's digs on Axl were elementery and he recently said he shouldn't have been so bitter. 

Axl does come off as the smaller man.  The bigger loser.  The bigger tool.  A whiner. A Bitch.  And most of all, a Pussy.  He got his best friend to "interview" him and wasn't really pushed one time.  He wasn't challenged on his short answers in regard to CD.  Slash and Duff are playing it good right now.  What about Axl hanging out all night one night with Sorum in 06, yet now he bashes him. And the Izzy talk.... There was no need to even take minor diggs at Izzy.  Izzy loves Slash and Duff.  I think Axl HATES that.  Axl comes off as a prick, that DID take control of the band, not Slash. 

As far as Matt Sorum's drumming, it was Axl who often told him how to drum... See November Rain. 

UYI albums are fucking awesome and like Appetite and Lies, they ruled the charts.... And for a short period, Contraband did too.. I guess we all just fell for Slash's "uninspired" guitar.  Give me a break.  Finck is uninspired.  Ron is talented, but doesn't show emotion.  The only guy on all of CD that "steps up" is Bucket. 

I am so disgusted my favorite band ever has a fucking dooshe bag pussy as the frontman/leader.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

Another bag full of excuses and poor me everyone else ruined my life ramblings.  I honestly roll my eyes every time the guy speaks now.  He truely seems to be the only one who sees things the way he does. The thinsg you hear come out of Axl's mouth only come for him. The stuff Slash says is reiterated by many throughout the years.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

I am so disgusted my favorite band ever has a fucking dooshe bag pussy as the frontman/leader.

No offense mate, but if I felt that strongly about the frontman in my favorite band, I would part ways with the term "favorite band" and find a new one. It's beginning to be a cliche in GNR world to use the argument, but it still stands.

If I thought Axl was such an asshole, I wouldn't bother. He would simply annoy me too much to be into it.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:
DCK wrote:

No offense mate, but if I felt that strongly about the frontman in my favorite band, I would part ways with the term "favorite band" and find a new one. It's beginning to be a cliche in GNR world to use the argument, but it still stands.

If I thought Axl was such an asshole, I wouldn't bother. He would simply annoy me too much to be into it.

I separate Art from the Artist.  The Art makes it worth it, doesn't mean I like it.  He used to be such a badass... Not so much anymore.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Too much trouble IMO. I think it's highly entertaining to see Axl Rose go. That's why Im here.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
DCK wrote:

I separate Art from the Artist.  The Art makes it worth it, doesn't mean I like it.  He used to be such a badass... Not so much anymore.

Nope, I'm pretty sure he's always been the way he is.  You just know more about it now in the internet/24 hour news cycle world we live in.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

Yeah, this is the same Axl that's always been there. He's just not saying the shit some people want to hear. And there haven't been so many people siding with Slash on his honesty like some of you guys are making out... And I have never heard of Axl being forced to pay Duff and Slash for turning down the use of WTTJ in Blackhawk Down... Didn't even Duff say he doesn't remember things the way Slash did in his book, which is a nice way of saying it isn't all true?

But I'm not getting into the Slash vs Axl bullshit. roll

Axl's basically said his peace a few times about the old band, Slash and shit, but he hasn't said hardly anything about his current band, album, future albums... Just look at the interview. It's like the whole CD thing is kind of a hindrance, and he's more concerned with shit that happened fucking 10-20 years ago and ripping Slash. Who the fuck cares, already? Its kind of funny, but he's said it all before and now he's starting to sound like Smoking Guns... Isn't it ironic.... Don't cha think? 16

Board footer