You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: Would VR consider Dover ?

Axlin16 wrote:
mickronson wrote:

VR only went anywhere at all cuz it was VR (slash/duff)..  it had nothing to do with that scumbag weiland.

VR did what it did, because SOLE curiosity. People are always curious to see what a supergroup brings to the table, and VR was presented to the public as basically Guns N' Roses with Scott Weiland on vocals. People checked out CB because they were curious. Libertad reflects this drop, and it's not because it's more Weiland's album. There wasn't even enough buyers/listeners to even know that.

They did average from the get. They'd do worse with a Dover, or a nobody.

Slash & Duff can't put out a platinum record by themselves. Snakepit is a bad example, because GN'R was still not removed from the public, and that's the only reason they did what they did then.

I'm not defending that douchebag Weiland, can't stand the guy, but I see way too many VR fans convinced the band is gonna take on the world with the right lead singer. I know the ONE, they can use. Anyone else... it just ain't gonna happen. It just isn't. hmm

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I don't care about platinum records because that's really hard to do - I just want them to be good, which they weren't with Weiland. Dover is a bad choice musically as well as commercially.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I agree. I think that's what I was trying to say, but you summed it up much better.

Brett
 Rep: 20 

Brett wrote:

The "people were curious about VR" excuse never flew with me, ever. The music was good, the people enjoyed it and they bought it. It's that simple. If there were 3 million curious people for VR, Chinese Democracy wouldn't have sold 38 copies. Libertad didn't sell because the songs weren't nearly as good. The first single was fine, but after that everything was pretty bad as far as the mainstream audience requires.

Furbush
 Rep: 107 

Furbush wrote:

with Cb.. they had a couple of different reasons that lots of people were into it:
1. Guns N' Roses....
2. Stone Temple Pilots

it was the perfect combo of two of the most popular and better selling artists from the 90's.... and they wrote good songs.. or at least songs that hearkened back to the heyday of both bands... slither is clearly an STP song with slash... and fall to pieces sounds like vintage GNR with the stp singer wailing over it....
... after that... crap. they tried to have their "own distinct sound".... and i wouldn't call it an artistic failure..  but definitely a commercial one.... it wasn't enough "GNR", first off... and it came off sounding like later period, wanna be 70's.. watered down, sexed up STP... think "shangri la dee da" and the weaker songs on "Vol. 4"... before the vasectomy...
that shit don't cut it in the mainstream when you're those guys ages...after you cease to be the "in" thing... the general public.. or the "casual fan" doesn't wanna hear you "experiment" or "grow" anymore... they want to hear the same song over and over... the "vintage" "classic" shit....same shit happened with audioslave.. fuck.. they even had the same above mentioned "formula"... one part soundgarden.. one part rage.. both great bands from the 90's....
and when they tried to grow... it was all over.
that's how it goes, kids.... we seem to forget the other "supergroups" from the past.... the only truly successful mother fuckers were the ones that sounded like their previous bands.... i blame the dumbing down of society... everyone wants to hear the same shit.. all the time.
as special as a band like VR or audioslave might be to us.... as relavent as we like to think they are... it just ain't true... to the general public.. they're geezers... just like "the firm" was to me as an up and comer...
"ok.. i get it.. guy from zeppelin.. blah blah blah.. wait.. they don't sound like zeppelin?.... well then fuck that!"....20 years from now nickelback and the singer from kings of leon are gonna do a fucking record... and some 25-35 year old kids are gonna be creaming their jeans..... "hey.. it sounds like nickelback....they were AWESOME when i was a kid...lol"
..and i'm gonna tell em that they need to put on an alice in chains record so they can figure out where they stole their sound from.. and the kid's gonna look at me with the tilted head... "doggy heard a strange sound" look in his eyes, and.. ask me (with a straight face).."who the fuck is alice in chains, old man?"....
then i'm gonna turn my wheelchair around... go home.. and fucking hang myself

holy shit.. i blacked out.. what happened?
i remember typing  Stone Tem... and then i .. don't rememer.. anything....

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
mickronson wrote:

VR only went anywhere at all cuz it was VR (slash/duff)..  it had nothing to do with that scumbag weiland.

I disagree with that....I'm not a huge van of Scott...but VR's fan base was both GNR and STP people...you could see at the gigs a lot of people in STP tops and so forth. They had a pre-made fan base - anyone who liked the guitar in GNR and the vocals in STP was likely to pay attention to VR in the early days. Also - scotts problems were great in a media sence - like its a pre-made story - the famous former junkies of GNR team up with one of the most notorious current drug users in rock. Its an easy story for the media to do, and they more they do it, the more people decide to check out the record.

That said...the Slash/Duff/Matt chemestry is what really makes the band interesting to me...and I'm sure a lot of people.

With the right new singer VR could kickass. It's tough to find the mix....guys like Josh Todd and I'd guess Dover....were considered too 1 dimensional...not enough "musical"ness - but guys like Scott IMHO are "too musical" - no ability to really scream it and that's what really high energy needs in places. That what a guy like Axl, and to a lesser extent Baz can bring - a powerful scream that opens hell, but a soulfull sensitve and well pitched musical side as well. Sadly politics stops either of those 2 getting in the mix. The only other dude I can think of thats well known and has the game is cornell....but James tells me that's impossible, and it does seem unlikely given he's already done one superband.

Which leaves us in limbo. You need Axl's power and range without trying to copy his unique style. They don't wanna be GNR light. They even said that when demoing audition tapes that they'd skip to the next tape when they hear SCOM start. Yet they also don't want a scott clone. I mean a guy who looks and sounds like scott, yet isn't actually the former singer of STP doesn't really add anything does he? He's only ever going to be a replacment. They need something new, something unlike the others, or someone enough of a mix of both Axl and Scott, and fresh - that it works! Meanwhile...we wait.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:
Brett wrote:

The "people were curious about VR" excuse never flew with me, ever. The music was good, the people enjoyed it and they bought it. It's that simple. If there were 3 million curious people for VR, Chinese Democracy wouldn't have sold 38 copies. Libertad didn't sell because the songs weren't nearly as good. The first single was fine, but after that everything was pretty bad as far as the mainstream audience requires.

If that's the way you see it. I don't. Plenty of people went and saw Batman Forever at the movie theater, making it one of the great theatrical successes of 1995... but now trash the movie without mercy. Following two good films (GN'R & STP) and having Batman on the title, drew people to the theater out of curiosity.

The same can be said for CB. The Libertad drop off proves this theory. If VR was "that good", then MANY would've impulse-purchased Libertad because CB was so strong. They didn't.

CD with GN'R, you have to understand is a bit of a different beast than VR's CB. So many try to rope those albums together, and it's difficult to do because their surroundings are so different. It actually has nothing to do with the music.

With GN'R, any hype, curiosity and anticipation was completely squandared by Axl, in 1999 when people expected the album around the corner, in 2001 when people expected the album by the end of the year, in 2002 when the album was expected by the end of the year, in 2003 when the album was expected out... then in 2006 when the album was said to be coming out at the end of the year, in 2007 when it was supposed to be out in March... and finally it comes out for real in 2008, with no promotion behind it, unlike VR's CB.

I think at a time, CD could've truely sold big on curiosity, but wasted opportunities time and again, coupled with yearly leaks and live boots, really killed every chance when it came to curiosity buys.

Unlike VR & CB, which VR accurately and correctly rode the wave of curiosity into a multi-platinum.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Contraband did not ride the wave of curiosity all the way the multi-platinum. You don't sell a million plus albums out of curiosity alone. Slither is a great song and it was a strong first single. Fall to Pieces was another radio friendly hit. Contraband is a good album. That is why it sold what it sold. It's not a perfect or amazing record but it strong enough to sit next to anything Slash or Duff have done. Libertad flopping proves nothing. They didn't have a strong enough single and most of the material wasn't what fans of the first album wanted. A change of pace and style is sometimes not always good. Not every album will be as success. Axl knows how this feels too. And that's not meant to be negative. Sometimes the material just isn't fully there. Libertad had good parts but lacked something as a whole. Just like in my opinion Chinese Democracy does.

And no they would never consider Dover.

With the right singer Velvet Revolver would be a great band that can make a great record that would convince more people. Scott turned out not to be the right guy for the band but they did come out of it with one good album. If they stay towards more guitar driven bluesy rock, with a singer with balls of his own and who can also write lyrics and melodies to elevate the song it self. Then I think things would be back in business. I was never of a big fan of Scott and for those reasons. But Slash does need to play like he wants it again. Messages is a clear indication that he can still produce some great guitar work. Dave needs to step up the game a little bit. A stronger presence would help out a lot.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

I've always thought one of the major issues with Scott is that you don't mix an alternative-rock singer with a blues-based rock band.

Could any of you imagine Layne Staley fronting Aerosmith? No.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

well considering that he's dead....lets just say it owuldnt be a very lively show

Board footer