You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

Re: GnR holding audititons for a replacement for Robin?

jorge76 wrote:
James Lofton wrote:
jorge76 wrote:

He also did that "No WTO Combo" thing with Jello Biafra and Chris Novasellic.

Got a link to that?

A Couple pages late, but you can download a couple of the tracks free and there's an explanation of what the whole thing was.  Figured I would just post it rather than send it in a PM if anyone else was interested too
http://www.alternativetentacles.com/pro … ZYs-YQWe0K

monkeychow wrote:

The thing about Robin is he plays in a distinctive style.  You know it's his touch on the guitar.

I'll agree it isn't something for everyone....but I don't think he should be dismissed as a hack either....his use of phrasing, dissonance and his choice of slides and patterns...it's quite strange and unusual in a way.

I'm not sure it works in every song, I didn't like it on the old material, but when applied to the CD songs it's cool - it's really cool on Chinese Democracy, The Blues and in other places.

He isn't always kickass, like some players, but when he has a good moment, it's very good in my opinion.

You're right, but I think he's trying too hard to get that distinctive sound and that's why it comes off as choppy and hacky. 

A lot of players have signature sounds, that come naturally.  Robin is trying to make his rather than just playing what would be best.  Sometimes at the expense of the song.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Otis Western wrote:
russtcb wrote:

To touch on something from above... Better is my favorite Guns N' Roses song ever and the solo from TIL is my favorite on the album.

Well, as they say, different strokes for different folks. I personally thought both of those songs were God awful terrible. Axl crying over the piano on 'This I Love' was laughable. How that managed to make the final cut of an album that was years in the making is beyond me. Hearing that song kind of paints the picture more clearly of why Slash and Duff walked out on Axl. Can't really say I blame them for not wanting to be associated with that.

Well you seem to be in the vast minority on that one.  This I Love is normally near the top of the "what's your favorite song on CD" polls on these boards.  Don't recall how it fared here, but it's got the most votes at HTGTH, last I checked.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

This I Love made it to the final four in Evo's elimination rounds of 'best of'.

As far as Axl and the piano, it's total raw Axl doing what he does best. I love it, other than the guitar work. I'd still say it's probably in my Top-3 off the album, only surpassed by TWAT & Sorry.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Axlin08, you are forbidden to like Sorry. It's about Slash, Bucket mimics Slash on it, thus it has been claimed as a Slash song. All future royalties/praises/props must be given to him according to Axl Haters Code 1 (2.3), Section 13.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

i agree with Otis...TIL is pretty stupid...its so over the top and cheesy

maybe when they do the gnr broadway show, they can include this track

Will
 Rep: 227 

Will wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

As far as Axl and the piano, it's total raw Axl doing what he does best. I love it, other than the guitar work. I'd still say it's probably in my Top-3 off the album.

Agreed. I hope its thrown into the setlist. Played late night at an outdoor festival would be pretty fuckin sweet 9

Otis Western
 Rep: 0 

Otis Western wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Yeah, no shit. Lol. Anyone who likes it, that's cool. Not trying to offend. I just personally thought it was candy ass, butt rock at its finest. Most folks that I know in the real world seemed to share my sentiments. Definitely isn't GNR.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:
Otis Western wrote:
Neemo wrote:

Yeah, no shit. Lol. Anyone who likes it, that's cool. Not trying to offend. I just personally thought it was candy ass, butt rock at its finest. Most folks that I know in the real world seemed to share my sentiments. Definitely isn't GNR.

Misunderstood. Edit.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Otis Western wrote:
Neemo wrote:

I'll say, the first time I heard "This I Love" it definitely wasn't what I expected and wasn't to my liking.  And to this day I can't say I absolutely love the song, so I see where you're coming from.  But it has grown on me over time.  I think it's a powerfully emotional song and that Robin's solo fits the song well.  I know that's not the popular belief, but I'm sticking to it.

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:
bigbri wrote:
gnfnraxl wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

A hack on guitar compliments one of the most talented players out there?  How so?  Do you mean if you combine the two, they average out to an average guitarist?  I'll give you that I guess.

Yes, Robin is all over CD.  CD was also a giant flop.  Add to that many people feel the reason for this flop is less BH on the album and more other guys, and I can't see any way that what you said even remotely makes sense.  Robin helped write one of the biggest failures in music history.  That will look good on his resume along with all his other (non-existant) writing credits.  Give the guy credit for what he did instead of making up accomplishments...he wrote part of a flop and played choppy guitar on the album.  I could have done that for 1/10th of what Axl paid him.

Robin and BH complimented each other?  Please.  CD would have been a better album without Robin.

I hate to say this but I agree with you.  Robin completely massacred Catcher in the Rye.  And his playing in general on that record was subpar.  Robin's playing has always been very sloppy at best.  So take away his sloppy parts and yeah I can see CD being way better.

I could be wrong, but I think Ron is the one fucking it all up like a soup sandwich. You fell in the same trap I did. I called out Bucket for a crap solo only to find out it was Ron. If the solo is fucked, chances are Ron touched it.

My respect for Ron's playing had dropped dramatically then.  But it doesn't change the fact that Robin's play is sloppy.  His rendition of Patience is the perfect example.  Just look for the footage in Detroit in 02.  Robin's playing Patience is so bad that Axl just drops the mic and leave.

Board footer