You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: The BATMAN Thread

tejastech08 wrote:

I just found the receipt from November 18th, 2008 in my email and Godfather trilogy was $46.39, L.A. Confidential was $16.37, and Pirates 3 was $17.12 (yeah, it's a horrible movie but I wanted to have all three Pirates movies since they feature excellent PQ and great surround sound, plus good old Captain Jack is always fun to watch).

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

lol

Yeah, i've lightened up on the films recently, as i've found it a bit hypocritical to sit back and just skewer Schumacher's films, especially B&R, and in reality it's unfair to do that, and then turn around and try to find ways to defend films like Jason Goes To Hell, Jason X or Freddy vs. Jason. or Howling II or Nightmare on Elm Street 4 or anything like that.

It's really the same thing. They all have their place. There were Batman comics which were light in tone, and campy. Me and you happen to prefer the darker more sinister Batman of Burton and Nolan, but Schumacher's are great AWFUL films. You sit back with a coke and popcorn, and just have fun with it.

I've always liked this video on YouTube, it really sums it up.

Some movies are so bad, they're great. Like Ed Wood's movies. They've turned into classics because they were so awful, it's enthralling to watch and laugh. I think Nolan's movies have really taken some of the sting out of Schumacher's for many diehard fans. This is the fanbase that was up in arms over Keaton being cast because they feared it would be a campy version since he was known for comedic roles at the time. So when Schumacher came along and delivered two ultra campy movies that basically anal-raped a bunch of great characters from the Batman mythos, it was tough for fans to look past it and simply laugh about how bad the movies were. They were a misrepresentation of the mythos to the public and the public was making fun of Batman. It was a huge embarrassment for Batman fans. At the time I was pretty indifferent because I was still a young teenager. I knew I loved Burton's movies but I didn't realize how bad Schumacher's were until a few years later when I re-visited them after the fact. When Nolan's movies came out, they restored the character's credibility with the public and there was no longer this huge cloud hanging over the fanbase. You're not embarrassed to say you're a Batman fan anymore like you might have been around the time of Batman & Robin. For fuck's sake, apparently damn near everyone is a fan when the newest movie makes $533 million in North America alone.

Yeah I remember those days, having to look at Batman as a "guilty pleasure", rather than just being out, loud & proud.

Nolan's amazing films certaintly took the sting out of Schumacher's films, and also allowed Schumacher's films to be viewed with a different perspective.

People went from love to hate to ehhh with those films, and I certaintly think like any horror/sci-fi/fantasy film franchise, B&R will have it's own cult audience that swears up and down by it, makes drinking games to it, that sort of thing. Forever already has it. There's still some diehards that will argue it was the strongest of the old franchise, which baffles me, but I respect a strong stance, even if it is a stupid one.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

Well B&R already has a drinking game audience: all of the Nolan and Burton fans, including myself. LOL. That movie is the perfect drinking game. You could kill yourself from the number of ice jokes.

Meanwhile, I checked my account at Deep Discount and it says that the order was 25% off. Supposed to be $106.51 and the discount was $26.63. So yeah, be on the lookout for that when Black Friday rolls around later this year. I seem to remember a lot of the Blu-ray box sets were sold out, but I was shocked at how quickly I received the Godfather. They told me they were going to have to re-stock so it might take a while for me to get it, but I ended up getting it just like a normal order. The Pirates box set was sold out, the Spider-Man box set was sold out, pretty much every damn popular movie was sold out on there because of the 25% savings.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I've used DD for years, and never had an issue with them. Best prices, good product, and the free shipping is fast as hell.

AtariLegend wrote:

...Because sometimes Clooney isn't good enough. 16

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

I just bought Batman: Animated Series Volumes 1 and 2 from Amazon (roughly $40 combined). Apparently the Complete Series, which went on sale back in the fall of 2008, is already out of print but they are selling each volume separately. I decided to get the first two volumes since they are the earlier seasons of the show when it was at its strongest. I'll probably get Volumes 3 and 4 at some point, but $80 in one chunk is a bit steep all at the same time.

AtariLegend wrote:

I got the VHS, when I was a kid for probably £10... less than $20.

The episode were Joker blackmails poor Charlie into returning his favour is awesome.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:

Uh...not sure when you got that VHS but those DVD's weren't released until 2004. They are 4-disc sets, aka $20 for 4 discs with 7 episodes on each disc. So for the first two volumes, I'm getting 8 discs with 56 episodes for $40. Not a bad deal at all considering the quality of this show.

It's 19 hours of great Batman stuff compared to only 4 hours of great Batman stuff with the Burton/Schumacher Blu-ray box set, and I paid $36 for that...and lost $55 in Best Buy gift card money, which is an opportunity cost. I basically paid $91 for 4 hours of great Burton Batman vs. only paying $40 for 19 hours of the classic Animated Series. smile

AtariLegend wrote:

It would have been in the early 90's... It only contains episodes up on till... "The Last Laugh"

VHS obviously held less episodes than DVDs.

I also have "Mask Of The Phantasm" on VHS.

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
AtariLegend wrote:

It would have been in the early 90's... It only contains episodes up on till... "The Last Laugh"

VHS obviously held less episodes than DVDs.

I also have "Mask Of The Phantasm" on VHS.

I have MOTP on DVD. Great movie. Arguably the best Batman movie ever made. There was another B:TAS movie made a few years later about Mr. Freeze called SubZero. It was good but nowhere near as good as MOTP. They actually sell the two in a DVD combo at this point. I only have the DVD of MOTP on its own though. Another good Batman animated movie was Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker. It featured the new high tech Batman with Bruce Wayne being a really old man, but still voiced by Kevin Conroy. And the Joker is still voiced by Mark Hamill. The animation looks more like the modern Japanese stuff. I prefer the animation from the earlier years of B:TAS.

I assume this is the episode you're talking about:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wsPxZ0vA-q0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peObSt51Iog

Definitely a great episode. 22

Board footer