You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Slash and Duff have discussed doing a GNR reunion show

James wrote:

Yeah, the U2 reference is a good one, and I think most wanted GNR to have a career like U2. In fact, I think thats why there is alot of hate towards U2 at GNR forums because when people look at U2 they see that GNR could have had a similar career.

Intercourse
 Rep: 212 

Intercourse wrote:

Thanks James. You're right, I have noticed savage scorn for U2 on GNR boards which is weird since Axl proclaimed his love of U2's music and even covered 'One' at the the GNR gig in Slane, Ireland in 1992 (the crowd went ballistic).
Maybe it is a kind of bitter reaction to the current GNR situation. I really thought that GNR and U2 would have matched each other for achievements.
When you think about it both bands had similar issues with the fear of becoming stadium dionsaurs. The main difference is that U2 underwent a hellish two years to deliver their finest album Actung Baby which was a total change in sound and image but a tour de force none the less. Poor old Axl and his band tried the same thing and here we are 14 years on...

I just think U2's music is pretty shit.  Has nothing to do with Axl or GnR.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
Jimmy Zig Zag Bobiadis wrote:

I just think U2's music is pretty shit.  Has nothing to do with Axl or GnR.

i concure 16

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Intercourse

Intercourse wrote:

this was never about how they sound..

AtariLegend wrote:

Shouldn't Bono be posting in this thread, then complaining about "There Was A Time"...?

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Intercourse

Intercourse wrote:

no, James pointed out how U2 seem to get panned by GNR fans in many forums and I agreed. There is nothing more to that argument.

My point was that both bands were as big as each other in 1992/93. U2 had just undergone a painful re-invention to avoid being a one trick pony which they did very successfully and have maintained their careers ever since.

When GNR came off the road they went into that same state as U2 did but didn't survive as they were. U2 went on to keep their profile very high, selling millions more albums etc. My point was that I wish GNR had survived and that Axl & Co. would have fulfilled their legacy like U2 did.

This had nothing to do with liking U2 or not, I'm just comparing where each band went since level pegging each other from a success point of view in 1993.

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer