You are not logged in. Please register or login.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

Re: one thing I don't get

strat0 wrote:

Honestly I liked Robin. HE was pretty cool doing CD material, he just had some "difficulties" with old stuff sometimes. And his 06 look was awesome with the beard and sunglasses

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Bucket's only mainstream interviews were during his time with GNR. It was unprecedented for him. He talked more during that time than he has in his entire career.

He has been silent about GNR since leaving and has gained loads of respect. Maybe Robin is following the Bucketheadland Blueprints.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

YET, Robin is referred to as a respected part of GN'R's "history", and Slash is not.
Why is it so?

An interesting question.

I think it basicly comes down to fans wanting to feel closer connected to Axl by adopting his position on things.

Now its fine for some fans to like or dislike slash on a musical level and want or not want him in the band. Its natural for an opinion to vary in that way.

But there is basicly NO reason for a FANS to hate him on a personal level - unless you have met them in real life. So why do some people? I think its a few things:

1. Jarmo once said to me that fans of the new band grew to hate fans of slash because of a lack of respect of the new band shown by fans of the old. I can see the logic, but it fails to account for people like me who enjoy both bands in different ways. Also - this starts a tit for tat reactionary thing where both groups insult each other and the truth is always lost in such a battle.

2. I think some people like the new band, and feel a need to make things a "team loyality" game and so feel that to demonstrate their like of robin they have to hate slash. to me this is simple minded - its possible to value both players for the different things they bring to a band. For my part I REALLY like Chinese Democracy. To me its a killer album. But to my brain that has nothing to do with slash or old gnr. I also love Slash's work with alice cooper, and snakepit1 and in GNR. To me the album is good enough to be accepted on its own - and insulting slash and so on is a shame cos im my mind - its actually creating a distraction to how good the music is.

3. It's clear axl has issues with slash still. and I think a lot of people just follow his lead....either to feel closer to him as a fan, or in the hope of demonstrating a loyality that may be rewarded in the cases of site admins and so on.

It's a shame. I look at Axl and I see an intelligent man. I like to think he could understand that a person like me can love the way Slash plays his guitar on snakepit, and also love what new guns has done on Chinese Democracy. Just as I can understand that Axl spent a lot of time in real life with Slash and thinks he is a cunt or whatever. That's between Slash and Axl to my mind. So myself I attribute that level of intelligence to Axl - I hope he can accept that as a music fan its possible to like the output of both parties, and see them as distinct and seperate things from what any of the musicans are like on a personal level (which I wouldn't know anyway - the only person close to GNR i met was Baz and that was only for a few mins - cool guy though). But it seems many assume Axl/Slash wont do this - and think that in order to like one you must hate the other - and therefore talk accordingly.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
bigbri wrote:

Let me get this straight. There's ONE thing you don't get about all this?

Hahahahaha

Karma for that dude! lol

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Bono wrote:

I can't remember the last time I called up a  buddy to ask me questions so I could vent about a  guy I used to hang out with 15 years ago. 14

Hahahahaha

Karma for you too dude!

Board footer