You are not logged in. Please register or login.

streetofdreams
 Rep: 1 

Re: DJ Ashba First Impressions

I'm rather indifferent at this point -- it's hard to take the band seriously as a "band," i.e. a distinct group I care about. I'm not saying I don't retain interest in studio material because they're talented -- but seeing them live? I dunno, seeing Axl sing some of the songs is cool, but I just don't feel like I'm watching THE band on stage when replacements come and go so often... you lack that feeling of...I dunno...continuity? Warmth? Attachment?

Sky Dog wrote:

I've tried to watch some youtube stuff....just not digging this guy at all. I do like his website design so maybe when he quits or gets fired as the guitarist, he can still be a part of "The Family" as webmaster and resident Nikki Sixx wanna be.

WeTheLiving
 Rep: 10 

WeTheLiving wrote:

Im not knocking DJ Ashba, but at this point im just like "whatever." Thats what Slash said when confronted in an interview about being called a cancer. Im not using "whatever" because he did, but it appears thats where one ends up with respect to this project...just whatever. The thing is so wierd, and in no way resembles a band, which is fine, but say what you want about GNR in the past, the thing you can't argue is that it was a BAND. It was a "living organism" as slash put it. It had its own identifiable sound and personality. Some of this music is cool, its intersting, but this is just out of hand.

I really liked the 2002 lineup, it seemed like a real band to me. Now i  just feel sorry for the original band memebers that the name of GNR has been sullied like this. Sorry Axl, i didnt post on a board for about 10 years while i followed this entire ordeal and i waited until the record came out to say my piece. These lineup changes are one thing, and i think its silly, but, the interview that served no purpose but to bash people, in conjunction with the endless changes just spells DEBACLE?

Sky Dog wrote:

I guy with a chicken bucket on his head, an industrial looking freak, a straight up punk/indie rocker, a Stones/Izzy wannabe, 2 keyboardists that are completely different with completely different backgrounds, and a lead singer in the midst of a HUGE wigger identitiy crisis.......wow, 2002 was a really solid band. PUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHLLLLLEEEAAASSSEEEEEE....for the love of God, it hasn't been a real BAND since Izzy left. It was a business and now is a business run by one person. Don't mistake the 2002 LINEUP'S talent for being an actual band.  22

WeTheLiving

WeTheLiving wrote:
madagas wrote:

I guy with a chicken bucket on his head, an industrial looking freak, a straight up punk/indie rocker, a Stones/Izzy wannabe, 2 keyboardists that are completely different with completely different backgrounds, and a lead singer in the midst of a HUGE wigger identitiy crisis.......wow, 2002 was a really solid band. PUUUUUUUUUUHHHHHHHLLLLLEEEAAASSSEEEEEE....for the love of God, it hasn't been a real lineup since Izzy left. It was a business and now is a business run by one person. Don't mistake the 2002 lineup's talent for being an actual band. BIG DIFFERENCE. 22

Point taken. Ill clarify, i think it actually had the potential to be a band.  But i dont think the final product (CD) sounds like a band, interesting as some of it may be, nevertheless. I just hope the name isnt damaged beyond the point of no return.

I dont know if this has been posted, but i read some recent Baz interview and he was asked about Skid Row touring without him....he said...."I cant believe it, they ruined the name...."

Sky Dog wrote:

2001-2002 lineup is the best since 1991. The album sounds fine in my opinion. I just think people get a little "thrown" or disturbed by the liner notes and song writing credits. That is why, a while back, I kinda hoped Axl didn't give out the details of who played what. If you wannabe NIN, then be like it and give very few details about who played what. Ax can't have it both ways.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Axl's whole career has been about wanting it both ways...not sure why you'd expect that to change now.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
war wrote:

but, axlin08, are they sick of gnr live or are they sick of appetite live?

Both. Casuals = GN'R / Hardcores = Appetite

the hardcores make up the majority of the people that went to the '06 shows. if axl provides us with a cd/uyi heavy tracklist, we're in. if axl releases a decent single, we'll take a few new fans with us, in addition to any vh fans that decide to stick around for gnr.

Axlin08 wrote:

Wouldn't that be something if DJ himself became webmaster? That place would rule!

yeah yeah eh heh heh

Sky Dog wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Axl's whole career has been about wanting it both ways...not sure why you'd expect that to change now.

some people change when they grow up, some people don't! I was just HOPING Axl would have changed. He didn't. 17

WeTheLiving

WeTheLiving wrote:

Im starting to have reservations about the commercial viability of this band as well. Granted, objectively speaking CD was a commerical success with 2 million copies sold (although not subjectively, as compared to past GNR efforts of original material.) A lot of those sales were from this band running on the fumes of the old band, the name etc. Another segment of these sales was from the hype factor that CD had built up. The next release wont have the advantage of running on fumes, because its just been so long now, and it wont have the advantage of the hype of CD. We all know on the last tour in the states a lot of the arenas were half full. In my opinion, CD hasnt done anything to increase the likely hood of drawing in crowds to this tour. I also have a bad feeling that if they tour with VH the crowd is going to either/or be apathetic or actually jeer the band. This wont be on a large scale, but it wont have to be to set certain people off.

I mean, who is left as far as the concert goer is concerned except the hardcores who go to these boards? How many have lost interest, even among hardcores? I know in the few months ive been coming to this board i have seen attitudes change DRASTICALLY, from people who may have been boarderline nutswingers (No offense, just terminology) who are now apathtic and downright disgusted with this ordeal. So DJ Ashba is really coming in at the end, i believe. This change in attitude among the hardcores doesnt exist in a vaccuum, its indicative of a broader trend. The only way i see for this to continue is for this band to do really small venues and play to its audience exclusively, and maintain its small hardcore base. The fumes are running out, its indicative of the strength of the orininal band that the fumes lasted this long. Damn, i sound like a "cunt."

Board footer