You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Re: Slash Begins Recording for his Solo Album

Smoking Guns wrote:
faldor wrote:
jorge76 wrote:

I would actually argue that in the year 2009 because of Guitar Hero and such, the Slash brand is probably bigger than the Guns N' Roses brand.

Hell, I was in Toys R' Us the other day and saw a gigantic Slash action figure based on guitar hero. 

Plus he has the added push of other names on the album with all the different singers.

Like Mikka alluded to, the various singers on the album could help sales of the album but I think they'll more likely help the sales of the individual songs.  Fans of Fergie are more likely to buy the SONG with Fergie on it instead of plunking down $12 for 11 other songs featuring other singers.  And that goes for all the singers.

It won't take much to outsell CD and frankly, I will be surprised if he doesn't and buying singles will help those singles chart which leads to more exposure which leads to more sales.  There will be some hits, you can count on that. 

Kid Rock
Fergie
Ozzy

These three names alone could push 1,000,000 alubms.  Others rumored are Jack White, Alice Cooper, Lenny Kravitz and Steven Tyler...  If he has all those guys on the album I don't see how it can't outsell CD.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I'm not sure why sales are such a concern. I want quality. Contrband's sales don't reflect it's quality.

I haven't kept track of this Slash album, but I've got renewed interest after seeing the Vocalise clip. That is the Slash I want to hear. That's not what we're gonna get, though, I'm afraid.

With a roster of singers like what is listed above, you're gonna have a bunch of 5 minute songs with 4 minutes of singing.

Also, why would he want to work with so many singers he's already worked with before? This is always what bugs me about Slash. It always seems he takes the path of least resistance. Do we really need another Slash-Lenny collaboration. Jack White could be cool, especially if they do some dueling guitars.

I really want an instrumental album. I'm sure we can all agree that would own.

What else other than Vocalise has Slash done instrumentally for me to track down?

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Others rumored are Jack White, Alice Cooper, Lenny Kravitz and Steven Tyler...  If he has all those guys on the album I don't see how it can't outsell CD.

I could definitely see the Cooper thing since Slash has been on his albums before.  I'm kind of pumped on the Tyler as long as they do a sleazy rock song.  I just hope Steven Tyler doesn't bring in an outside writer(Desmond Child etc.) to write the lyrics though.  Honestly, the only guy I've heard rumored that bugged me was Fred Durst and that's probably because I loathe Limp Bizkit.

Actually, I'm kind of interested as to whether or not Slash will be taking the lead vocals on any of the new songs.  I kind of liked his voice on Sentimental Movie.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
bigbri wrote:

What else other than Vocalise has Slash done instrumentally for me to track down?

I agree that an instrumental album has more potential, but we pretty much knew that when he mentioned solo album,  his career would be going in a Santana direction.

He's a legend and an album chock full of mainstream hits with popular singers is only going to set that in stone.

I wish he would have went in the instrumental direction during his Snakepit era, but Jizz Da Pit blows.

I kind of liked his voice on Sentimental Movie.

Buick Makane kicks all kinds of ass. 9

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

josh freese on drums eh?

and Chris Chaney on Bass? pretty good band 9

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
bigbri wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPmqjl2L1Z4

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Check out the song with Marta Sanchez from the Curled Soundtrack.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

OK, Slash on Obsession Confession is cool as fuck too. The more I listen to Slash instrumentally, my respect for him comes back piece by piece. Still, he needs to release a whole CD of instrumental stuff. Like, now.

And for all of us who think Slash and Buckethead are so different, look at these vids. I'm beginning to think they're more alike than we'd like to believe. Seriously, if I can look at these through a new perspective, I know others can.

Here's Slash's Obsession Confession.

Here's Buckethead's Planeta.

Now, here's Slash's Vocalise.

And, Buckethead's Too Many Humans.

These last two are so similar, it's eerie.

Smoking Guns

Smoking Guns wrote:

Great videos!  Thanks

I want to post a video where Slash is fucking rocking it too!

That outro is ace.

Board footer