You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Re: How will the delays effect C.D.'s sales?

Gunslinger wrote:

When/If Chinese Democracy ever comes out how will the numerous delays effect the sales of this album?  There were key times (in my opinion) like 2002 and 2006 when the buzz would have really given C.D. a great bump but those opportune times came and went and we still have nothing.  I believe that Chinese Democracy would still sell relatively well were it released now (or soon) but with every fading year, every broken promise and every delay in general I think the album loses more and more interest, credibility and potential sales. 

How do you guys think the delays have or have not effected the potential sells of C.D.?  Also, when do you think the best time would have been to release this album and what is the best thing that can be done now to revitalize interest?

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

If nothing else, sales will be less because sales are less across the board.  Removing that from consideration, I still think they will be less than they would have been a few years ago.  Interest is dropping everywhere even among the die hards.  It will sell initially from the curiosity standpoint, but from there it will tank barring a great first single.  The kids that drive the music industry aren't looking to a 45 year old to save rock.  They seem pretty happy with what rock music is today.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Key moment to release it was fall 2002 weeks after the VMA's, and the last good chance it had was immediately after the 2006 leaks.

Nothing will ever bring interest in the album like it would've had in years past. The myth is dead and his own fanbase is in its death throes and the media doesn't care either. Last year, the most pro Axl supporter in the media(Kurt Loder) was on some podcast and not only questioned the album's existence but said it was a "fiasco". The media didn't even blink this year when they toured overseas. Some will say, "well it was overseas so they didn't care". If true, why did the media talk about M.I.A's overseas tour, and she is a mid level artist? Face it. No one cares but the few thousand spread out on these forums. Baz shoved Axl down the world's throat for 2 solid months and it only got him 6 thousand copies sold in the US. Not a coincidence.

I've said this for a long time but I'll say it again. This album will be lucky to debut in the top 10, and will be lucky to still be in the top 200 a month after its release. Only way this album is guaranteed a top 10 spot is if Uni releases it during a week where NOTHING is going on.

As Buzzsaw mentioned, the downloading ers guarantees low sales anyways, and when you pile everything else on, things look pretty bleak. His other point about music fans not looking for a man approaching 50 to take over the rock world is the absolute truth.

I said this at HTGTH many moons ago: Best Axl/new GNR can hope for is a Rod Stewart late 80's type career with less album sales and less media attention.

This isn't a knock against the band. I love the CD songs. But just because I love those songs doesn't mean I need to put blinders on and act like its going to be peaches and cream.  Its not, and I think more and more people are now willing to admit that.

elmir
 Rep: 53 

elmir wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Key moment to release it was fall 2002 weeks after the VMA's, and the last good chance it had was immediately after the 2006 leaks.

Nothing will ever bring interest in the album like it would've had in years past.

the same feeling can be achieved again with one simple thing.....another 4-5 year gap of absolute silence....

Remember when everyone was fed up by 2003, 04 and 05.  Then Axl reappeared in 06 and the interest exploded on the forums, at the shows and in the media.

Same thing will happen when CD is released.  The interest is gonna be peaked and for a bit, CD will be the buzz everywhere.  It's bound to happen.  People say they are tired but when something big happens, they all come back.

As far as sales, so hard to judge sales nowadays.  It's like Duff said in that recent interview, bands don't make their money off records sales, it's all tour and merchandise now.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
elmir wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Nothing will ever bring interest in the album like it would've had in years past.

the same feeling can be achieved again with one simple thing.....another 4-5 year gap of absolute silence....

In 5 years, who will be left to buy it? The media sure wont give a fuck, and all these communities will be ghost towns.

A 51 year old man who hasn't done shit in 19 years isn't going to be put on a pedestal. How many copies did Brian Wilson's Smile sell? Slash that by about 80%, and you've got your CD sales total in 2012.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

there will always be good opportunities to release an album IMO

A Private Eye
 Rep: 77 

Interest will be there whenever it's released imo, perhaps there where certain peaks in interest where it would have done better like in 02. Should we ever get a firm release date I think a lot fo that interest will return. The media doesn't mention it or apparently care because they've nothing left to say about it, any comments they had to make on Axl or CD they made in 99 then in 02 and then in 06, they can't repeat the CD story every other issue. As far as the media are concerned there's nothing really to care about because nothing new has happened and until it does they'd just be rehashing very old news.

As for album sales like many have said it won't break any records becuse we're no longer in an era where albums sell in the many millions. Nor is Axl some iconic rock god to the kids but that doesn't neccessarily matter. I can't speak for any other countries but when The Eagles album came out recently it debuted at number 1 and is still at number 5 in the charts 5 weeks after release with practically no promotion. A few adverts in magazines and that's about all I saw, there was no single on national radio and if there was it got little to no airplay. The kids aren't buying that but yet it's selling well. With CD factor in a good single (hopefully), the right promotion and the fact that it's GNR's 'comeback album' etc and I think CD has a fair shot at claiming a high chart place.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
Neemo wrote:

there will always be good opportunities to release an album IMO

There will always be good opportunities to release a great album.  Therein lies part of the problem.  AFD was a great album.  I can count on one hand the number of bands that have had multiple truly great albums.  None of them did it with only one person remaining from their other great album.

buzzsaw

buzzsaw wrote:
A Private Eye wrote:

Interest will be there whenever it's released imo, perhaps there where certain peaks in interest where it would have done better like in 02. Should we ever get a firm release date I think a lot fo that interest will return. The media doesn't mention it or apparently care because they've nothing left to say about it, any comments they had to make on Axl or CD they made in 99 then in 02 and then in 06, they can't repeat the CD story every other issue. As far as the media are concerned there's nothing really to care about because nothing new has happened and until it does they'd just be rehashing very old news.

As for album sales like many have said it won't break any records becuse we're no longer in an era where albums sell in the many millions. Nor is Axl some iconic rock god to the kids but that doesn't neccessarily matter. I can't speak for any other countries but when The Eagles album came out recently it debuted at number 1 and is still at number 5 in the charts 5 weeks after release with practically no promotion. A few adverts in magazines and that's about all I saw, there was no single on national radio and if there was it got little to no airplay. The kids aren't buying that but yet it's selling well. With CD factor in a good single (hopefully), the right promotion and the fact that it's GNR's 'comeback album' etc and I think CD has a fair shot at claiming a high chart place.

The Eagles had a single on VH1's countdown.  I don't care enough to see if they have one on Billboard and since Bo Bice was number 1 on VH1 this week, I've lost all respect for that countdown.  Maybe someone will care enough to look it up. 

I'd venture a guess that the Eagles have more fans that would buy conventional CD releases than Guns N' Roses does due to the age difference.  There are far more 30 year olds running around with mp3 players than 45 year olds.  Add to that the successes most of them had on their own and I'd say that they would easily outsell anything Axl could release at this point after the first week or so.  CD could peak high initially, but it will have no staying power without a monster single prior to release.

Board footer