You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Re: If the Skwerl

Axlin16 wrote:

That's because Chickenfoot actually aren't pussies and don't really give a fuck. You either like it or don't.

Axl on the other hand, Mr. Rebel, is so preoccupied with what people think, than to just cut an album like normal folk. No it's all got to be a massive migraine.

Oh, and if it's the "record company" (which it's not), then go cut a solo album. I'm sure there's PLENTY of people that would let him do that.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
-D- wrote:

WOW, Spin for the win

Lets see here Faldor

1.CD had the most hype of any single in recent memory, so it could've been axl humming over a piano and got tons of airplay, so the fact it didn't reach number 1 is really an indictment of how bad a single it really was. Think about this for a second dude. Offspring and papa fucking Roach have number 1 singles but Guns N Fucking Roses hits number 5 and that is suppose to be a big deal?

2. All those songs on TSI were somewhat classic songs already so them getting radio airplay isn't that big of a deal since they are already well known songs.

3. Estranged is damn near 9 minutes long....... SO yeah, that is going to cut into its radio airplay and Estranged isn't a commercial song. 9 minutes, zero chorus.........

Better was crafted to be a hit and it flopped.

Fact is, With no videos, no Axl sightings...... this album was doomed.

D, I'm well aware of the hype that this album received.  Buzz keeps going on and on about how "Chinese Democracy" was a failure.  That's relative to what you think a failure is.  Since it had so much hype what was it supposed to do?  Debut at #1 and stay there for 5 months?  Without a video, any promotion, interviews, announcements?  It wasn't as big a failure as some are making it out to be.

"Since I Don't Have You" was a classic?  Maybe I missed the boat on that one, but I had never heard that song until GNR covered it.  I'm not so sure the world was clamoring for a cover of that song, yet it charted well.  And wouldn't you know GNR were at their height, and they made a video for it.  Maybe that helped?

As for "Estranged", there have been plenty of long songs that have been huge hits, spare me the length argument.  I kept hearing that about certain songs on Chinese Democracy, how they couldn't be singles because they were too long.  "The Day That Never Comes" did just fine.  And I was simply showing Buzz how he was wrong anyway.  He said he was sure "Estranged" fared better than either of the singles off of CD.  Well, it didn't.  He seems to hold those chart positions in high regard, so I thought he should know.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
-D- wrote:

WOW, Spin for the win

Lets see here Faldor

1.CD had the most hype of any single in recent memory, so it could've been axl humming over a piano and got tons of airplay, so the fact it didn't reach number 1 is really an indictment of how bad a single it really was. Think about this for a second dude. Offspring and papa fucking Roach have number 1 singles but Guns N Fucking Roses hits number 5 and that is suppose to be a big deal?

2. All those songs on TSI were somewhat classic songs already so them getting radio airplay isn't that big of a deal since they are already well known songs.

3. Estranged is damn near 9 minutes long....... SO yeah, that is going to cut into its radio airplay and Estranged isn't a commercial song. 9 minutes, zero chorus.........

Better was crafted to be a hit and it flopped.

Fact is, With no videos, no Axl sightings...... this album was doomed.

There are a lot of other reasons too.  GnR was primed for a huge comeback and after one week, it sank.  He knows I wasn't referring to individual songs, I was more referring to the album as a whole.  If an album has good songs and the people have access to it, it will sell.  It really is that simple.  Estranged is better than any song on CD with the possible exception of TWAT - he knows this as well.  He's trying to take the most extreme example to make his case (ignoring the circumstances surrounding it) and that never works.

He's grasping for ways to make my case look weak, but all he's doing is making it stronger.

I just love your rationale.  I'm making your case look stronger?  Keep telling yourself that.  I've said over and over that the comeback sank because they did nothing to sustain the comeback.  Can we all agree that "Better" was a better song/single than "Chinese Democracy"?  I think we can, right?  Well it didn't have near the success, however limited you want to look at the succes of the debut single.  But chartwise "Better" didn't come anywhere close.  Not because it wasn't as good a song, but because all the steam had been lost by that point.  There was no push by the band, by the label.  The singles were released and that was IT.  You can give me all the hype, anticipation, promise in the world.  If the Beatles came out with a new song tomorrow and then not a word was spoken about it afterward it would die pretty quickly too.

I like how arguments are made that the new singles haven't charted well but when I point out that they charted better than past singles I'm grasping for straws.  Anything to fit your agenda.  I'm sorry I had to screw that up for you.  Please, proceed.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

But chartwise "Better" didn't come anywhere close.  Not because it wasn't as good a song, but because all the steam had been lost by that point.

Exactly. They, the label, fucked up the order of the singles. Better should have been first. Could have dropped that weird intro and it would be a great song. They put out Better so quick after CD that people didn't really notice it. So, either they should have put it out first or waited 2 months and then released the video and the single. However, the momentum was lost by then anyway. Wrong single tactics. Horrible. Better is one of the better songs (haha), CD is...not. People heard CD and went home. And to release a leaked album wasn't that smart either..could have dropped a few of them anyway.

There's so many issues to deal with here.

Some says the public doesn't like it and have spoken. Well guess what, the public likes what they're being told to like. You have more faith in peoples listening taste than I do I guess. If you had pushed Better down everyone throats long enough, regardless of what they would feel about it, it would have been a hit. Play it every hour, on the hour. Play it on TV, play it everywhere and people would hum the chorus no matter what. But as for GNR not being a new band, a band with a history, a band with one remaining original member and a band with no label support, that would never happen. It's a pity because the album is good enough to handle both AC/DC and Metallica. Problem being those bands are much easier to handle marketing wise and they're a sure thing. Axl Rose is something else. It suffered because of it, and he knows it or he doesn't care about it. He does it the way he wants to do it, and thats commendable, but it won't do much for sales or promotion.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
DCK wrote:

Some says the public doesn't like it and have spoken. Well guess what, the public likes what they're being told to like. You have more faith in peoples listening taste than I do I guess. If you had pushed Better down everyone throats long enough, regardless of what they would feel about it, it would have been a hit. Play it every hour, on the hour. Play it on TV, play it everywhere and people would hum the chorus no matter what.

Exactly....as long as there is some kind of melody and memorable tune or phrase (which this album has in abundance) then it can stick in heads and the sheep will like it if they are told to do so by the media. that's what happens every day.

DCK

DCK wrote:

Exactly....as long as there is some kind of melody and memorable tune or phrase (which this album has in abundance) then it can stick in heads and the sheep will like it if they are told to do so by the media. that's what happens every day.

Just a question of money and effort. Nothing else. Better was released to nothing of the sort.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

So the public will only like what they're told to like?   And you think my case is weak?

DCK

DCK wrote:

So the public will only like what they're told to like?

They will like what they're being played enough.

You can't tell them to like anything, come on. The point is to play something so much they start to like it without knowing it. Most listeners are sheep. The sheep is what made up 70% of GNR fans in 87-91. When GNR disappeared, the sheep moved on. We're the ones left. The sheep is a massive amount of people and you can play them in basically any direction you want. Rock, hip hop, r n b, boyband..whatever.

I remember a commercial a few years back. They kept repeating a few sentences of a song over and over and over and over. The guy sold a huge amount only because they kept repeating the damn line over and over again at any commercial break they could find. No one knows a shit about any other songs, but they know that line and they keep singing it and buying the album.

Don't start telling me the same wouldn't happen if they had played a few seconds from the Better chorus over and over and over.

The quality of the song means less than the money involved.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Well there is more to the music business than the strength of the songs thats for sure. the argument that a song is musically poor if it has low sales, and musically good if it sells well can't be maintained looking at the industry.90% of stuff is fluff and image and game playing and manipulation of the market and trends. it's the business.

Who do you think has more musical ability? the girls from the pussy cat dolls or buckethead? who sells more records? You need to get over the idea that if a record doesnt sell well then that means its a bad record. (And that's not even getting into what level of sales you want for it to be selling well.)

Board footer