You are not logged in. Please register or login.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

Re: The Possibility of a Guns N' Roses '09 Summer tour

DCK wrote:

Slash wrote the Nightrain stuff, but Bucket changed the entire solo and made the song better.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Seems they both used to shred modes in that solo to me.....just bucket in a faster way...

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
DCK wrote:

Slash wrote the Nightrain stuff, but Bucket changed the entire solo and made the song better.

Yeah, totally agree. I get sick of the whole "Slash is best, because he wrote it".

No, not true at all. Many artists have had their own material improved. It just took 15 years for Bucket to come around.

Believe me folks, one day, some new artist on the scene is going to cover GN'R, and is going to take GN'R to the woodshed. Just like GN'R made songs like Live and Let Die their own, someone else will do the same with their music. GN'R is not the end all, be all, of rock music. They'll suffer the "old" fate one day. Just got to find some raw talent. It might take a few decades, but it'll happen.

sandman
 Rep: 30 

sandman wrote:

the bucket nutswinging on this board is hilarious. 16

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
sandman wrote:

the bucket nutswinging on this board is hilarious. 16

tell me about it

Axlin08, DCK and whoever else ... without slash there would have been no live version of it to cover by Buckethead...in fact without Slash, GnR most likely wouldnt nearly have been as huge and therefore none of us would probably be here to follow what this band has become, thus Bucket would most likely still be an underground act and the vast majority of us wouldnt even know he exists period

all the exploits of past members in the late 80's and early 90's made the GnR name what it is today, we can thank Axl, Slash, Duff, Izzy, Steven, Matt, Gilby and Dizzy for bringnign the band to legendary status, at this point everyone one else is riding the stature that those 8 brought to the band

as for someone covering GnR to make them better...it doesnt matter, cuz this hypothetical band will still be influenced by gnr nad whatever song they cover so it goes back to that if gnr never existed then that band wouldnt have covered that damn song in the first place...anyone can take a song after it was written and learn to play it themselves or modify it to suit their style or whatever...the fact remains that it was the intitial creativity that brought the song to the table in the first place

you prolly still dont get it so i dont know why i even bother to post all that 14 in the end you're all entitiled to your own opinions ... i'm just saying, thats all 19

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

I dont deny the existance of Slash. I don't deny or ignore him coming up with a solo to Nightrain. If it wasnt for Slash and Axl, the song would never have existed. It's not the point. What Bucket had was a song to play. He deleted the Slash solo and inserted his own work instead. There is nothing in Bucket's solo that is Slash at all. One thing is to cover someone elses work, another is to fully ignore the solo and come up with something "better" yourself, making the song better. Bucket did. He did it to Knocking on heavens door too, the only goddamn time that song had anything good in it.

I give as much credit to Slash for writing the first Nightrain solo as I give the same credit to Bucket for coming up with something entirely new to the song.

And between the two, I prefer Bucket's version. It's simply not fair to throw the "if it wasn't for Slash..." card. The Bucket solo got nothing to do with Slash apart from the fact he is playing the solo over an already released song. It takes just as much time to come up with Buckets solo as it was to come up with Slash's solo.

And playing Knockin on heavens door...I suggest Ron taps into some youtube vids and listen to the Bucket solo and copy it. It makes the song GREAT. First and last (I guess) it was great IMO.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

it is art.

sure there is music theory that tells us what sounds out of key but it is the artist that thinks out of the box that stands out the most, sometimes for the good and sometimes for the bad.

to write a song is a talent

to learn another person's song is a completely different talent

and to take a pre-existing creation and make your own interpertation like gnr did with 'Live and Let die is a little bit of both

modern music is more about attitude and creativity then it is about musical ability as opposed to learning a classical piece from beethoven, note for note.

so, taking the person who covers the music to a tee, the question then becomes "Who is better?

or, in this thread

'Who's version is better?

the answer is neither.

It's art. it all comes down to opinion and preference.

Slash kills on Nightrain and he wrote it.

Buckethead kills live on nightrain and he came up with a completely different interpretation of the song.

two completely different abilities and two completely different creations that please and displease two completely different and independent groups of listeners. to the point of a debate on a gnr board that resembles an argument i witnessed between my four year old and his friend the other day.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I see your point war, but going on your theory, defeats the point of this board existing.

We're here to debate and discuss, and without Slash vs. Bucket solo discussions, we move on to something else, only to find the same answer - it's all open to interpretation.

Fine, we all know that. But let's at least bullshit while we're here.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

my theory wouldn't change the number of posts but the content. and if "we all knew that" there wouldn't be so many arguments. the gnr fan base is one of the most divided groups of people i have ever come across and in every debate there is plenty of praise that get's left behind in place of putting down the opposite team's horse. i enjoy a friendly debate as much as you or anyone else but there's a lot of qualities in the gnr tree that many have to split the tree in half in order to see clearly.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
DCK wrote:

One thing is to cover someone elses work, another is to fully ignore the solo and come up with something "better" yourself, making the song better. Bucket did. He did it to Knocking on heavens door too, the only goddamn time that song had anything good in it.

IMO BH's KOHD solo was awful - boring and uninspired. Just as bad as his take on YCBM. He did a great job on Nightrain though, although I still prefer the Slash version.

Board footer