You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Re: Revisiting the Billboard Interview

Olorin wrote:

They have a website. If they are so against the media why not use their website to post up interviews with the band, if fans want to know about guns n roses, the gunsnroses.com  wasteland should be the first port of call.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

If a delux version of CD doesn't pop up in the next few months or so, I see a lawsuit on GNR's part to get out of their contract with uni. 

If I was a betting man I'd put wagers on the latter.

The only thing that makes me think otherwise is the power Azoff has in this industry.  He got CD released, which is an example of his pull in itself.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:

It be nice to think they have one ally in Azoff with a bit of clout for dealings with Universal, but I dont think he is miracle worker, the messed up booklet was put out onto shop shelves under his watch.

I'm still fairly positive about some performances this year, Tommy did say when things start moving they tend to roll like a square wheel at first. He wasnt half right.

Olorin

Olorin wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Precisely Olorin, which creates an even scarier thought. If in Axl's mind, he views the situation with Universal as "cutthroat loan sharks", and "no help", and "no support", when he was given probably the biggest budget and biggest ROPE of ANY artist in history for CD... and Axl still looks at it that way.

There's nothing you can give him to please his "pace". Nothing. That's even scarier to me, because despite all the bullshit, he's not going to find better support than what he's got right now, which is none at best.

Looking back, I think it's kind of funny in Slash's book, how even when they were still young kids practically, working off and on jobs around LA trying to make a living, enough to eat and do shows and stuff, how even then Axl didn't really want to work. He always find someone to crash with, or some girlfriend to float him along. And he's still doing it now.

It's sad, the man has all this talent, and really doesn't give a shit. Someone made the analogy awhile back (it might've been Buzz), about how Axl is the type of guy who'd sleep through his classes in high school, getting F's, but then would come in and make straight A's on the tests, to even out to a C overall, pisses the teachers off to no end. That sums it up perfectly, even still.

I just think he has an unfortunate habit of over complicating things sometimes. I wish someone would learn him that some things are not worth dwelling on and its best to just put it behind you.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Olorin wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Precisely Olorin, which creates an even scarier thought. If in Axl's mind, he views the situation with Universal as "cutthroat loan sharks", and "no help", and "no support", when he was given probably the biggest budget and biggest ROPE of ANY artist in history for CD... and Axl still looks at it that way.

There's nothing you can give him to please his "pace". Nothing. That's even scarier to me, because despite all the bullshit, he's not going to find better support than what he's got right now, which is none at best.

Looking back, I think it's kind of funny in Slash's book, how even when they were still young kids practically, working off and on jobs around LA trying to make a living, enough to eat and do shows and stuff, how even then Axl didn't really want to work. He always find someone to crash with, or some girlfriend to float him along. And he's still doing it now.

It's sad, the man has all this talent, and really doesn't give a shit. Someone made the analogy awhile back (it might've been Buzz), about how Axl is the type of guy who'd sleep through his classes in high school, getting F's, but then would come in and make straight A's on the tests, to even out to a C overall, pisses the teachers off to no end. That sums it up perfectly, even still.

I just think he has an unfortunate habit of over complicating things sometimes. I wish someone would learn him that some things are not worth dwelling on and its best to just put it behind you.

Unfortunately, it seems Axl's way of putting it behind him is to either just not work at all, fire or force out 'employees' or both.

misterID wrote:

If a delux version of CD doesn't pop up in the next few months or so, I see a lawsuit on GNR's part to get out of their contract with uni. 

If I was a betting man I'd put wagers on the latter.

The only thing that makes me think otherwise is the power Azoff has in this industry.  He got CD released, which is an example of his pull in itself.

The only other option is to take the remaining material, and have major renevations done to it by the old band, and market it as GNR's comeback.

And I don't think that's ever ever ever ever EVER gonna happen. Not because of Axl, but Slash, Duff, and/or Izzy would NEVER sign off on it or perform on it.

Uni is not going to get behind the remaining material imo. It's gonna take Axl bringing a new "old" era album to the table, and Uni letting him take the new Guns material with him to a solo career launch, as a trade off.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Olorin wrote:

They have a website. If they are so against the media why not use their website to post up interviews with the band, if fans want to know about guns n roses, the gunsnroses.com  wasteland should be the first port of call.

I'd love to see the website become a real centre for fan activity. These days with digital video and whatever it could have become real great. Like video blogs, downloads of stuff for fans, even if it was paid membership.

Not stuff they're interested in doing I guess.

shotgunblues1978
 Rep: 11 

Axlin08 wrote:

The thing that most people don't realize, however, is that out of the infamous $13 million, the old Geffen Records handed out $10 million of that back in 1997.  That label got swallowed up by UMG/Interscope in (I believe) 1998, no later than 1999.  The people who greenlit CD with the exorbitant budget were long gone by the time the first version of the album was complete

Also, he was not given the biggest budget ever for CD.  Mariah Carey signed a 4 album $80 million contract with Virgin.  Her first album tanked and they spent $28 million to buy her out.  So essentially they paid $48 million for one album that flopped

Michael Jackson's Invincible cost over $30 million in recording costs alone.  A lot of big pop artists get $10 million advances (or at least they did back in 1997). 

Either way, there's not much indication that Jimmy Iovine and his regime cared much about CD, and you can't really blame them.  It wasn't their album, or their problem.  They didn't greenlight it or hand out the huge advance, the fired execs of a dead label did.  So to them it was never a priority, they were interested in their own projects which is the way record execs always have been and always will be.   Which is why they probably just wanted to get the album out and make as much as they could without spending anything

From an accounting standpoint, it was a success.  From that perspective, revenues generated were much greater than cost of goods sold and they didn't have to spend any money promoting it domestically.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I suspect if we knew the realities of dealing with the label Axl's view might be proven correct. It's common talk from artists to feel that they're getting screwed on record deals. In fact the whole way recording budgets work is pretty harsh on the artist. While axl does things his own way and must take his share of the results for that, I totally accept the idea that the label has been less than helpful. At the end of the day, They're approaching the album from a totally different place than axl is.

Sky Dog wrote:
shotgunblues1978 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

The thing that most people don't realize, however, is that out of the infamous $13 million, the old Geffen Records handed out $10 million of that back in 1997.  That label got swallowed up by UMG/Interscope in (I believe) 1998, no later than 1999.  The people who greenlit CD with the exorbitant budget were long gone by the time the first version of the album was complete

Also, he was not given the biggest budget ever for CD.  Mariah Carey signed a 4 album $80 million contract with Virgin.  Her first album tanked and they spent $28 million to buy her out.  So essentially they paid $48 million for one album that flopped

Michael Jackson's Invincible cost over $30 million in recording costs alone.  A lot of big pop artists get $10 million advances (or at least they did back in 1997). 

Either way, there's not much indication that Jimmy Iovine and his regime cared much about CD, and you can't really blame them.  It wasn't their album, or their problem.  They didn't greenlight it or hand out the huge advance, the fired execs of a dead label did.  So to them it was never a priority, they were interested in their own projects which is the way record execs always have been and always will be.   Which is why they probably just wanted to get the album out and make as much as they could without spending anything

From an accounting standpoint, it was a success.  From that perspective, revenues generated were much greater than cost of goods sold and they didn't have to spend any money promoting it domestically.

now somebody is on to something.....however, in the end, so far, it has not been the success it could have been. The overall goals/objectives for this type of release were not met.:(  ...I'll let you define your objectives but anyone will be hard pressed to look at the big picture and call it a success. Maybe Axl can try again with another approach, but for now, it failed on a lot of levels.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

Does anyone know whats going on with music video they said it was going to be released ages ago

Board footer