You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Axl Rose vs. Metallica

AtariLegend wrote:

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:

Oh that fucking James Hetfield!  How dare he insult the great all mighty awesome indestructible amazing Axl Rose!?  Fuck you James!  You're just jealous of Axl's career and his hair.  Now I shall go cry in the corner and burn all my Metallica records.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

God damn good 'ole days is what those were. hehe 16

Amazing, everyone in Metallica, or at least James, Lars & Kirk, as well as Axl's own band mates from top-to-bottom in the old era, are in total agreement as to how Axl was, and yet Axl gets pissy because his tour rider gets made fun of. Big deal.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

You know...neither of these guys are saints in the UYI period....Axl had some fairly public problems, and james was an alcoholic.

The good news is that Axl and Metallica are friends again now, they're thanked in the chinese democracy linear notes.

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:

James was and probably still is a control freak as far as Metallica goes.  It is the biggest reason Newsted left.  So I do agree Monkey that both weren't saints and still aren't.  Time heals all wounds and Metallica seems to have forgiven Axl about the Montreal fiasco.  And Axl forgave Metallica for well for whatever reason Axl was pissed at them.  When those two huge acts toured together in 92 you had to know this couldn't end well.  Can you believe that back in 92 GNR played last.  There is no way in hell that would happen today.  GNR would be an opening act for Metallica period.  And in 92 if I would've had to make a prediction, I would've predicted GNR becoming way bigger than Metallica.  As much as I hate Lars, I have to give it to Metallica, they were able to survive the grunge and alternative era and come out of it all still one of the biggest acts out there.  While Axl is still trying to figure out how to run a band.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Great point gnfnraxl. I actually thought Metallica would not last, or at least their mainstream popularity, that they'd either break up, or go back to playing small venues, no metal band could sustain that kind of popularity for a long-term period of time, or at least MTV-material.

GN'R was the next Rolling Stones.

Boy I was WAY off.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

Yeah...pretty interesting huh.

Metallica is an awesome band, but it was surprising how they brought metal to a more mainstream audience, rather than remaining a more boutique product, ala Anthrax, Megadeth, Black Label Society and others.

Meanwhile...as for GNR....it's the silence that surprised me at the time. It's normal for us now, but back then ou wouldn't have seen it comming. Like you'd have expected the old band to go on, or the old members to die and that be the big rock story ala cobain, or axl to kick them out and reform with a new band but keep up the public profile he had in 1992 and release new music for better or worse. But instead it was like they vanished for 6 or more years...then a serious of sort of aborted starts. Very odd the way the wholething has played out. Would have lost money on it in vegas wink

But I do love both bands!

gnfnraxl

gnfnraxl wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Yeah...pretty interesting huh.

Metallica is an awesome band, but it was surprising how they brought metal to a more mainstream audience, rather than remaining a more boutique product, ala Anthrax, Megadeth, Black Label Society and others.

Meanwhile...as for GNR....it's the silence that surprised me at the time. It's normal for us now, but back then ou wouldn't have seen it comming. Like you'd have expected the old band to go on, or the old members to die and that be the big rock story ala cobain, or axl to kick them out and reform with a new band but keep up the public profile he had in 1992 and release new music for better or worse. But instead it was like they vanished for 6 or more years...then a serious of sort of aborted starts. Very odd the way the wholething has played out. Would have lost money on it in vegas wink

But I do love both bands!

You call this GNR normal?  Holy shit man!  You really do have battered wife syndrome.  Axl's GNR is anything but normal.  The guys literally shit their pants when asked GNR questions.  Take Dick for instance.  The guy can't even comment on who chose what guitar solo and why.  And that is normal?  GNR is the only supposed band (I don't call this a band) that I've seen operate like this.  And I won't even get into Axl's treatment of his fans and how the whole CD release was handled.  CD's release would've been handled better by a 12 year old kid man.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I think Monkey was saying the silence is "normal", as in 'We are used to it now'. Imagine if GnR put out an album in 96, where the band couldn't do interviews, Axl didn't talk, no videos, no tour. That would've been huge!! Buzz would circulate over what's wrong, did Slash quit?!  Is Axl fired?!  etc.. Now, with CD, nobody cares.

Your earlier post was great GnfnrAxl. Funny to hear Tabitha Soren mention James referred to GnR as "A guy, and some other guys". I think that explains alot about GnR's latter years. I also didn't expect Metallica to hit the mainstream. I remember being taken aback when I saw their video on VH1. VH1??!  (For those who don't know VH1 used to be A LOT different. Played older songs like Phil Collins, Journey, Madonna, etc. So it was around the same time the channel morphed more into MTV). I think it was a song off Re-Load because I remember where I worked at the time, & it was 99. Anyway, I realized then they were prob going to be the biggest.most mainstream band from that era. Which was very odd. Agreed though they have skeletons in their closet though. James working 4 hours a day now, taking time off because he needs to see his shrink, kicking out the baswsist for wanting to do a side project, basically running his band like a corporation. The tables have turned. Still, regarding 92/93 era, I think Metallica was in the right. Also, much credit for their longevity, well earned. As for GnR, yeah, hard to believe they fell off the face of the earth. Ashame they couldn't pull a VR back in 95-97 era, or have Izzy sing. Snakepit was ok, I was never a fan though.

monkeychow

monkeychow wrote:

yeah i mean it's normal now for what GNR's been doing for like 10 years or more.

Like back in 1992 I would have considered an extended silence wierd...as GNR had been in the gaze of public attention over and over again, from AFD, to lies, to the making the UYI, then the UYI tour.

However now in 2009 I do consider the silence normal practise for gnr - not other bands -  as realisticly, this band has had more years out of the spolight than in it. They were public in like 2000, 2002, 2006 and 2007 and then an album release in 08. But the rest of the time since like 1995 stuff has either happened in secret or not at all. so I can't say that silence from them is shocking me much in 2009.

Board footer