You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: The Current Line Up

faldor wrote:
madagas wrote:

well, to be real picky, Buckethead was pretty much a no name before the GNR thing and still is pretty obscure. The only new band member with any "MTV" resume is Tommy. Period. Everyone else is underground/alternative/session musicians.

Yeah and along those lines, Buckethead has gained massive popularity due to his time in GNR (compared to his pre-GNR days).  I know a lot of people say he never belonged in GNR, but I think it was great for him and the band, even though it went by in a flash.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

I am very exciting about an album co written with DJ but what are the odds of that happening?

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
faldor wrote:
PaSnow wrote:
faldor wrote:

SixxAM had a pretty successful debut album and "Life Is Beautiful" was quite a successful single.  They were pretty well known in the modern rock circuit.  I'm not saying they're a legendary band or anything, but to make it seem like nobody knows any of these guys or the groups they were previously in is incorrect.

never heard of em. Wikipedia states the album reached 62. The current Top 200 lists Diana Krall as 62nd.  Ever heard of her?

You've honestly never heard of SixxAM?  I find that hard to believe.  Even with the Nikki Sixx tie in.  I'll admit I didn't know DJ Ashba was in SixxAM when they were hitting their stride but I certainly knew of Nikki and the song "Life Is Beautiful".  Not sure how you missed out on that.  Does Diana Krall have a song that hit #2 on the Hot Mainstream Rock chart?  Cuz if she doesn't I don't see why I would know her or why I'd want to.

Diana Krall is 100 times more popular than Sixx AM is or ever was. She' s a Grammy award winning Jazz musician who's also married to Elvis Costello.  Seriously Sixx Am is an unknown band that maybe 1%(and that's being generous) even know about. They had a milisecond flash in the pan hit with Life is Beautiful and that's it. They are basically a completely unknown unheard of band. The average joe has no fucking clue who they are.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

More people will know the name DJ Ashba from an inactive GN'R than from an active Sixx:AM.

Take from that what you will.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Although I'm really looking forward to the next album of songs from the Chinese Democracy  sessions - Atlas Shrugged, Seven, Zodiac, The General etc.  At this point I'm only really interested in seeing them live again, I really want to hear the new album played out live and loud.

There is not much difference between the guys that played Chinese Democracy, Better, IRS, Madagascar, There Was A Time, Street Of Dreams in 06/07 and the band that will be playing those songs on the next tour. So it not being all the guys who are on the album is not a big deal to me.

The best gig I've ever been to was GN'R in Glasgow, the only disapointment  to mention that night was Robins solo spots. They were not easy on the ears and I wont miss them.
So the line up as it is now is only missing Robin from then, so its not really a whole lot different and will be one bad guitar solo spot down.
I'm a massive Brain fan and it would be a dream to see him on the tour, he is my favourite drummer ever. But I would still be more than happy if its Frank who tours. He was great that night in Glasgow and the crowd really took to him, he was so enthusiastic, interactive and genuinally looked like he loved every minute of it. I would be happy to see both drummers come along, but it doesnt sound realistic to me and I think it will Frank.
After Buckethead left it seemed that Robin stepped up a gear to become GN'Rs main lead guitarist, I think Ron is going to be the guy to fill that role this time. He has been the main face of GN'R since the album came out and it looks like he is getting his personality out there more and more lately. GN'R needs a guitar hero alongside Axl, there was a void when Slash left, a void when Bucket left and if not so much a void, but a notable empty space needing a player with personality and presence when Robin left. Ron is more than capable of stepping up and being the man this time around.

I cant see any reason why this band cant embark on a successfull worldwide tour if they roll up their sleeves and actually start putting in a serious focused effort to create a buzz around the band and the album. But if they attempt to tour using the same anonymity and lacklustre methods that they released the album with however, I cant exactly see it being a runaway success  hmm

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
Bono wrote:
faldor wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

never heard of em. Wikipedia states the album reached 62. The current Top 200 lists Diana Krall as 62nd.  Ever heard of her?

You've honestly never heard of SixxAM?  I find that hard to believe.  Even with the Nikki Sixx tie in.  I'll admit I didn't know DJ Ashba was in SixxAM when they were hitting their stride but I certainly knew of Nikki and the song "Life Is Beautiful".  Not sure how you missed out on that.  Does Diana Krall have a song that hit #2 on the Hot Mainstream Rock chart?  Cuz if she doesn't I don't see why I would know her or why I'd want to.

Diana Krall is 100 times more popular than Sixx AM is or ever was. She' s a Grammy award winning Jazz musician who's also married to Elvis Costello.  Seriously Sixx Am is an unknown band that maybe 1%(and that's being generous) even know about. They had a milisecond flash in the pan hit with Life is Beautiful and that's it. They are basically a completely unknown unheard of band. The average joe has no fucking clue who they are.

I'm sure Diana Krall is a great woman who's made some amazing music.  That's fantastic for her and Elvis Costello.  I don't listen to jazz, so I could care less.  I listen to rock music, therefore I know who SixxAM are.  If I'm gonna poll a bunch of jazz music fans maybe they won't know SixxAM, but I'm quite sure you could say the same the other way around.  If Diana Krall was named GNR's new guitarist there'd be a LOT more people saying who the F is that than if they added the former guitarist from SixxAM/Beautiful Creatures.  At least the band name(s) would ring a bell.  We're trying to compare 2 different genres of music.  This is ridiculous.

Board footer