You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Use Your Illusion II

I just decided that I was going to listen to it today since I haven't for years so I looked through a shitload of GN'R stuff that I own and found the official tape of it...

And what an amazing record it is.

It brings back so many memories from when I first started listening to the band and how things evolved from there. It's quite a special feeling.

I've always regarded it as my favorite Guns N' Roses record and now I truly understand why I also regard it as the greatest album ever made.

I have no interest in going back and listen to Appetite For Destruction or whatever, but the musical journey this takes you on is something else.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

I think its the worst of the two discs, and just has WAY too much filler. It does have killer tracks, but the chaff all over it almost kills it.

An album that contains Get In The Ring, Shotgun Blues, KOHD, My World, and an extra version of Don't Cry is an album that doesn't need to be made.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I bought it on cassette in late 1992 when I was just getting into GN'R, and I bought it after hearing You Could Be Mine on the radio. I remember leaving it playing on my stereo and falling asleep on my bed, only to wake up later to hear these beautiful piano parts and wondering what song I was listening to.

That song turned out to be Estranged, and once I'd heard that, I just knew this band was different and so much better than all the crap I was listening to at the time - Bryan Adams etc.

While I think Use Your Illusion 1 is a better album, Slash's guitar playing on all the songs is what makes it so great. So many memorable riffs and solos, even on the not-so-good songs. And just the sheer variety in styles, is also what makes it great.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

I have always thought of it as my favorite GnR album and probably my favorite album ever.  Surprisingly to some here, I love it because I think Civil War, 14 Years, Breakdown, Locomotive, Estranged, and YCBM are some of the best songs they've done, especially Locomotive and Estranged, so I can live with the couple songs that aren't as good.  The top songs elevate the album so much for me that it survives the weak songs.  When you just listen to the instrumentals, I think those songs plus GITR, and Shotgun Blues are terrific.  I could listen to that album as an instrumental and be just as happy if not happier with the results.

Slash may have hated some of the songs, but you wouldn't know it by listening to him play on it.  The band was so tight.  I think the people that listen more for the music tend to appreciate this album more than the people that lean towards the lyrical side.  Obviously there will be exceptions to that rule, but UYI II to me is musically the greatest GnR album overall musically, and I don't think it's even close to whichever one is second.

Sky Dog wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

I think its the worst of the two discs, and just has WAY too much filler. It does have killer tracks, but the chaff all over it almost kills it.

An album that contains Get In The Ring, Shotgun Blues, KOHD, My World, and an extra version of Don't Cry is an album that doesn't need to be made.

Dude, take those songs out and you still have a 9 track 50 minute kick ass disc. Even with only 9 songs, it is still more than a full album due to the length of the tracks.

Civil War
14 Years
Yesterdays
Breakdown
Pretty Tied Up
Locomotive
So Fine
You Could Be Mine
Estranged

bad ass rock record....thanks, going on the IPOD now!:beer: Funny James, those are the 5 tracks I would have left off too.....:mosh:

Sky Dog wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

I have always thought of it as my favorite GnR album and probably my favorite album ever.  Surprisingly to some here, I love it because I think Civil War, 14 Years, Breakdown, Locomotive, Estranged, and YCBM are some of the best songs they've done, especially Locomotive and Estranged, so I can live with the couple songs that aren't as good.  The top songs elevate the album so much for me that it survives the weak songs.  When you just listen to the instrumentals, I think those songs plus GITR, and Shotgun Blues are terrific.  I could listen to that album as an instrumental and be just as happy if not happier with the results.

Slash may have hated some of the songs, but you wouldn't know it by listening to him play on it.  The band was so tight.  I think the people that listen more for the music tend to appreciate this album more than the people that lean towards the lyrical side.  Obviously there will be exceptions to that rule, but UYI II to me is musically the greatest GnR album overall musically, and I don't think it's even close to whichever one is second.

I am with you...karma....not on Get in the Ring though. 18

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

For me, "Estranged" makes that album. Its the perfect song, cause it has Axl's lyrics at their best, and Slash's guitar playing at his best. Throw in some beautiful piano work, and wam!, you have the perfect song, in my opinion.

Of course, I love the other songs too. Though I'd say "My World", and "Pretty Tied Up" are my two least favorite on UYII, and I'd probably say off of both UYI's.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:

It's my least favourite of the two because of the filler (namely the tracks James mentioned) however it is redeemed heavily by having my favourite UYI track's Estranged and Locomotive. If it didn't have those songs it would be a turd of a record IMO.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

musically get in the ring is ace....lyrically it was cool as fuck when i was 16, i loved it, it was funny shit....now it comes off as sounding immature, still fun song to sing though....its net even very edgy anymore, but one thing i'd have to say is gnr helped pave the way to having more swearing in songs...now its commonplace to have people rant and swear in songs....back in 1991 not so much...is that a fact to e proud of? maybe, maybe not but there it is

rose22
 Rep: 12 

rose22 wrote:

agree with neemo about the music of get in the ring. especially the opening lick. imo very soulful, bluesy.

Board footer