You are not logged in. Please register or login.

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

Re: If the Skwerl

emcitymisfit wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
mygnrsucks wrote:

Dude, where did he ever beg for sympathy??! He never asked anyone to feel sorry for him, wtf. He even said he was dumb for doing it and the overblown fashion that he was arrested in was directly proportional to the overblown fashion he leaked them in.

You're just making shit up, dude. Stop trying to paint him as a wanna be martyr. He did the time, it was bullshit, he took it like a man, and he did an interview.

Where does that make him smug?

He did a dumb thing, then he got sentenced. What do you want him to do? Go into Axl recluse mode?

Fuck that, he interacts with the community he always did. He didn't change a damn thing. The only people who are arrogant smug attention whores are the ones who are complaining about it.

He asked for money. HE ASKED FOR FUCKING MONEY.

For his legal fees dude.

Go look it up. That's begging for sympathy.

He felt that we, the community, should pay his legal fees, because he leaked shit.

The dude is a smug fucking retard.

Knowing he'd get a fraction of what was necessary. We all downloaded them, I don't think asking for a pittance to fight the RIAA (something we'd all love to do) is too much.

He never said we were obligated to, he never said that "he felt that we, the community, should pay his legal fees."

You're taking things way outta context, bro.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

And I DON'T believe him.

That's my right. And that doesn't make my opinion any less valid. I have a voice, no different than Kevin's.

MSL could be FULL of shit. I've always thought that could be the case with the Beta phone call.

Why would I expect a hoarder, who lies constantly to get what they want/need, to turn around and become a truth teller, after the fact?

Smug? Okay, maybe not.

Arrogant - ABSOLUTELY. Doing interviews afterwards is the definition of arrogant.

Begging for sympathy - ABSOLUTELY. Asking for money to pay your legal fees, because you decided to commit a crime, is the definition of begging for our sympathy, even if financially.

Retard - ABSOLUTELY. Only a brain damaged FOOL, would do interviews talking about illegally leaking songs. I thought the MSL Classic Rock interview was a big risky move.

emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit wrote:

Of course your opinion is valid. I'm not coming at this from a "I'm right, you're an idiot" pov.

But dude, people were willing to donate. I regret not doing so, to be honest. Him putting the proverbial tip jar out there doesn't obligate him or attribute to him the statement of "you have to."

If you think MSL is full of shit, you obviously haven't been following him very much. He was the first to leak the release date, the exclusive contract, and a ton of inside stuff.

Someone else mentioned that when he described the beta call, people doubted him and said "there's no way that they still hold that much of a grudge towards Slash."

What happened next? Axl said Slash would have to DIE for a reunion to happen.

Nothing MSL has ever said has panned out false. Sorry, it just hasn't. He has credibility.

But I digress, him doing interviews AFTER he was tried, conviced, caught, whatever, is not retarded or arrogant. What damage would it do?

The RIAA is the bad guy here. Apart from being the single biggest reason that mainstream music is in the shitter, they go after FANS for downloading music, instead of buying into their payola driven, commercialized nickelback garbage.

There is no evidence that Skwerl is lying about any of this, and as far as I'm concerned, just because he wants to maintain his influential voice online, that doesn't make him a liar or a whore.

emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit wrote:

I’m not crying about it or asking for sympathy or anything; I saw it as paying the price for what I did. But you asked, and the answer is: a whole shitload of money.

But hey, I’d rather give that money to a lawyer than pay it to RIAA in fines or restitution or as part of some settlement. I’m not saying that out of any kind of hatred for RIAA or anything. I just don’t play that game. I completely respect their right to prosecute me for what I did, and I always admit it when I’ve made a mistake. But I also respect my own right to fight fucking tooth and nail and make them prove everything they claim in a court of law; especially when they make it a criminal case. It’s nothing personal. That’s just how this country’s justice system is supposed to work.

BOOM. ROASTED.

But here's some more.

Less than 2% of my legal fees came from donations, not including bills I’m still waiting for. It was a few hundred dollars over the past year, most during the first two days of me having a donation button available. Twenty-five people donated, including my girlfriend. Most of the donations were in the ballpark of $5, and a couple people shocked the hell out of me with their generosity. I definitely, sincerely appreciate the support. It meant a lot to me. I’m trying to figure out something really cool I can do for those twenty-five people to let them know how much I appreciate it.

I’m happy to lay this out for you though. Once upon a time I had a site that ran up astronomical hosting bills, yet was home to a really cool, supportive community. I opened the donation jar, and it was pretty much the same deal; I got less than 2% of what I owed the hosting company. So in the end, we got shut down. That was eons ago, but to this day, every once in a while, someone will bring it up, and ask where “all that donation money went” like I’m Bernie fucking Madoff. If there’s ever any backlash with this case, if some troll goes on a tirade someday about how I avoided a costly trial just so I could pocket donated legal fees, or how thousands of pro-piracy communist hippies rallied together to buy my freedom or some shit, you can direct them here.

2%. "shocked by generosity." He didn't beg, but people were willing to donate. Should he have told them to fuck off? You're attributing things to him that he never, ever, did.

Jump off the skwerl hatewagon, dude.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
mygnrsucks wrote:

Dude, where did he ever beg for sympathy??! He never asked anyone to feel sorry for him, wtf. He even said he was dumb for doing it and the overblown fashion that he was arrested in was directly proportional to the overblown fashion he leaked them in.

You're just making shit up, dude. Stop trying to paint him as a wanna be martyr. He did the time, it was bullshit, he took it like a man, and he did an interview.

Where does that make him smug?

He did a dumb thing, then he got sentenced. What do you want him to do? Go into Axl recluse mode?

Fuck that, he interacts with the community he always did. He didn't change a damn thing. The only people who are arrogant smug attention whores are the ones who are complaining about it.

He asked for money. HE ASKED FOR FUCKING MONEY.

For his legal fees dude.

Go look it up. That's begging for sympathy.

He felt that we, the community, should pay his legal fees, because he leaked shit.

The dude is a smug fucking retard.

What? like people couldnt spare out $4 or $5 for 9 songs? That's better than iTunes prices right there.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

how much did you chip in strat0? 16 or you mygnrsucks?

i dont hate the guy but he leaked the shit of his own free will, we didnt ask him to do it, he did it himself then bragged about it to promote his own site, using copyrighted material to further his own self....i said he was dumb to do that as soon as he did it, its not smart to flaunt illegal activity especially in the gnr communities where most of the sites are in the bands back pocket

after he bragged about it and got beat down he asked us all to chip in like he sacrificed himself just so WE could hear music...nah i dont think so, it was purely a scam to promote anti-quiet

again i dont hate the guy and i think its shitty that he was made an example of, especially when some signs point to a particular hollywood hills back door as the original source, but you play with the bull then you get the horns

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Thank you.

Hey MyGnRsucks, why don't you give Neemo a negative karma now, for pointing out it promoting anti-Quiet.

I never said I HATE Kevin. Ever. I pointed out his own flaws, which he pointed out, AFTER THE FACT, mind you. I said he was a 'tard, and he is for doing interviews, talking about leaking songs.

I'm on no bandwagon. I called it like I see it, and the thing is, I was right. I said it before Kevin said it, that he was BEGGING for trouble doing it the way he did it. And he got trouble. Too goddamn bad, that's the way the cookie crumbles sometimes when you promote your website through your leaks, do interviews publicly admitting to committing a crime, and then turn around and do MORE interviews to explain your side.

Kevin didn't bust the door open for anything. MSL was the one that alluded to the behind the scenes goings on, and how the GN'R camp operated towards leakers/uploaders.

I don't feel bad at all for Kevin's legal trouble. He asked for it, AND enhanced it by being so public with it.

You didn't chip a damn dime into the guy, so don't act like I or someone else are some hater, who took and ran with the gold, simply because we didn't back Kevin up.

Are the RIAA a bunch of damn scumbags. You bet your sweet ass they are. Especially going to court and the judge laying down a $2 million dollar fine on some single mother, because she uploaded songs on to file sharing sites.

If I hate ANYONE, it's the RIAA.

I don't hate Kevin. I look at as "don't put the microscope intentionally on your illegal dealings. Stupid."

Just like I didn't go, and start burning leaked CD songs, and passing them around to everyone. Some things just are smart to keep on the down low.

But if I ran into Kevin, i'd tell him everything i've said here. I'd also buy him a beer for what he did. But that's about it. I mean to the dude DID have other motives for leaking those songs. If you truely think he was out to help the fans out of the goodness of his heart, just because he's a helluva guy and a helluva fan... well, i've got some ocean front property in Arizona to sell you.

MSL is cool, but we all know at the end of the day alot of this stuff brings traffic to his site, and attention to his music. The Classic Rock article pointed out his wrestling career. There are other reasons he does what he does.

emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit wrote:

I labeled you a hater because you accused him of lying and attributed actions and statements to him that he never did or said.

We have some common ground here, mainly that the RIAA are a bunch of pricks, what Skwerl did was stupid, and that we appreciate the songs.

Skwerl mentioned all three of these things in his interview.

You somehow think that investing time, money, sleepless nights, and all sorts of BS is negated if they mention their website or profession. Like if they don't do all of this completely anonymously that they're just shills and were in it for the exposure and traffic all along -- regardless of the cost in legal bills, time, etc.

The attention to MSL's website, career, and music is a byproduct, not the objective.

I don't care that you say that Skwerl is stupid for doing what he did, the only thing I was flabbergasted by was you labeling him as a liar and smug. He's as open and honest about what he did as anyone else in his position. You were literally pulling things out of thin air about him.

And why would I give someone negative karma? I don't even waste my time with that crap.

Meh.

strat0
 Rep: 13 

strat0 wrote:
Neemo wrote:

how much did you chip in strat0? 16 or you mygnrsucks?

i dont hate the guy but he leaked the shit of his own free will, we didnt ask him to do it, he did it himself then bragged about it to promote his own site, using copyrighted material to further his own self....i said he was dumb to do that as soon as he did it, its not smart to flaunt illegal activity especially in the gnr communities where most of the sites are in the bands back pocket

after he bragged about it and got beat down he asked us all to chip in like he sacrificed himself just so WE could hear music...nah i dont think so, it was purely a scam to promote anti-quiet

again i dont hate the guy and i think its shitty that he was made an example of, especially when some signs point to a particular hollywood hills back door as the original source, but you play with the bull then you get the horns

lol none Neemo. But that's the main reason, as you pointed out. If he would have did this in a quiet MSL sort of fashion, and not been like
"OMG I'm breaking the internet, my sites getting so many hits right now!"

I might have considered throwing him a few bucks. But instead He promoted his site. I mean yes this last leak MSL did promote himself a bit, but the differance is that all MSL's site is, is a forum and a place where he uploads some of the songs he's working on. There's very little, if any money to be made there.

Board footer