You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Led Zeppelin

James wrote:
Jimmy Zig Zag Bobiadis wrote:

man.. this just looks like a bunch of old farts trying to relive their glory days.  I don't get the hype with this at all.  They are a legendary band, but honestly.. in situations like this.. somethings are just best left great in the past.

It has to happen. They are the last legendary rock band still alive to never reunite(other than a couple performances the past 25 years). Considering their age, its literally the last chance. If they don't tour in 08, it'll never happen. I think they realize it, and they know that their fans want to see it one last time. If they do this, it will be for their love of performing and their respect for the fans. Its not about money. These guys have plenty of money to last them the rest of their lives.

Having said that, I will admit that this reunion happened about 15 years too late. It should have happened in the early-mid 90's when they were a bit younger and Plant was still at the top of his game. They could have went on a mini Stones run and did a couple massive world tours and maybe one or two albums. Instead, its likely to be a world tour with a limited scope and no new music.

Another reunion that has to happen within the next year or two or it will never happen is Pink Floyd.

Time is literally running out on these guys.

JB, this is why a lot of people want a GNR reunion within the next few years. GNR songs are on a much more intense level, and the old band(including Axl) performing songs such as Jungle, Its So Easy, Out Ta Get Me,etc. in his late 50's/early 60's will be a cosmic joke. They could quite possibly be laughed off the stage.

There is probably about a 5 year window for a GNR reunion to be legit and for them to get massive attention from it. Once they hit their early-mid 50's, it definitely will never happen.

i just think shit like this sometimes ruins the legacy.   and i dont ever care to see the old gnr lineup reunite.   it would cheapen the legacy and besides those guys walked out on the band and were replaced.. so be it.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Jimmy Zig Zag Bobiadis wrote:

i just think shit like this sometimes ruins the legacy.   and i dont ever care to see the old gnr lineup reunite.   it would cheapen the legacy and besides those guys walked out on the band and were replaced.. so be it.

Fact is, Zeppelin still kicks ass. Sure, Plant's pipes aren't what they were, but he's a hell of a lot better singer than most of the crap that's out there in the mainstream right now and he's definitely better than poor old Jagger. Same goes for Page vs. Richards. In fact, judging by what I've heard so far, Page kicked big time ass last night. With Richards you can't even tell what song he's playing, which is sad because he came up with so many memorable riffs back in the day. I remember when they were at the Super Bowl a few years ago and they were playing "Start Me Up." I honestly had no idea what it was until Jagger started singing. The riff sounded nothing like it, because poor old Keith has fallen out of one too many palm trees I suppose. Anyway, Zeppelin is still awesome...and they are doing it the right way, with Jason on drums. I have no doubt that it would not happen otherwise. There's simply no one else who can come close to filling the void of rock's most kickass drummer. Jason of course can't fill the technical void but he can at least provide some emotional connection to Bonzo for the other three guys. Anyway, I would consider it a great day if they came here and toured. I would definitely go see it.

And also, Pink Floyd kicked all kinds of ass at Live 8 a couple years ago. That was absolutely incredible, probably the best 25 minutes you'll find anywhere. Gilmour still has the pipes and the chops on guitar. Dude is incredible even though he's "old."

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I'm trying out Stairway on YouTube right now and I'm not overly impressed.

I'm watching it. Started off a little shaky but Jimmy is kicking ass on the solo right now. Even back in their heyday, that 12 string guitar was a compromise. It's not the guitar he used to record the song (he used two) so the early parts sound a bit off compared to the studio version, but that guitar gave him the flexibility to get a semi-acoustic sound on the early parts and then go crazy on the solo later on.

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

Man, watching a boot of Good Times Bad Times on youtube. 

It's super sweet!

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:
russtcb wrote:

All of this sounds OK at best to me.

Well, Plant's voice has dropped over the years (to be expected) so all the tunes are adjusted accordingly.  Other than that, I think they sound great.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

Gotta get a boot of this on dvd...fast!

tejastech08

tejastech08 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

All of this sounds OK at best to me.

Yet you love Angel Down. 16