You are not logged in. Please register or login.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

Re: Best Album of the 80s Elimination- Round 9

faldor wrote:

"One" is my favorite Metallica song so I guess that could turn the tides.  But "Master of Puppets" isn't too far behind and I like more songs overall on that album.  It's pretty much a tossup for me.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I just think Justice is where they really exploded on the scene, and everyone took notice. Plus songs like One & Sanitarium,

Go listen to those albums again. Sanitarium was on Puppets.

Just because they got big with Justice doesn't mean that's the reason to vote for it. After Puppet's they'd lost their best two song writers Mustaine, who they'd finally run out of material to steal from and Burton who as most of us know tragically died.

I think Justice is a great album and sometimes I prefer it to Puppets but to talk about the two and try and make Puppets sound like a weak album is just nonsense. Puppets by some is considered the greatest metal album ever, by others the greatest album ever. It is Metallica's magnum opus. So to just dismiss it as "well Justice is better because that's when they exploded on to the scene" is just bullshit. Part of the reason Justice did better is they finally decided to do videos and don't say they couldn't have gotten backing to do videos for Puppets, it made it into the twenties of the charts and they toured supporting Ozzy. That album got them a lot of exposure.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Axl S wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I just think Justice is where they really exploded on the scene, and everyone took notice. Plus songs like One & Sanitarium,

Just because they got big with Justice doesn't mean that's the reason to vote for it.

You're forgetting that this isn't a "best of" elimination, it's a "revisionist history list of biggest/most important albums" elimination. Much trickier.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Axl S wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Just because they got big with Justice doesn't mean that's the reason to vote for it. After Puppet's they'd lost their best two song writers Mustaine, who they'd finally run out of material to steal from and Burton who as most of us know tragically died.

I think Justice is a great album and sometimes I prefer it to Puppets but to talk about the two and try and make Puppets sound like a weak album is just nonsense. Puppets by some is considered the greatest metal album ever, by others the greatest album ever. It is Metallica's magnum opus. So to just dismiss it as "well Justice is better because that's when they exploded on to the scene" is just bullshit. Part of the reason Justice did better is they finally decided to do videos and don't say they couldn't have gotten backing to do videos for Puppets, it made it into the twenties of the charts and they toured supporting Ozzy. That album got them a lot of exposure.

Firstly, I meant Sorrow, as in 'Harvester of Sorrow', and typed Sanitarium.

Secondly, nobody is denying how good Puppets is. I enjoy ALL of Metallica's 80's albums equally. As a matter of fact, i'm a big nut that thinks Kill 'Em All was their best output, on a Metallica/metal level.

But in terms of 'best albums of the 80s', yes, once again we're gonna get into this. I think effect on culture, relevance, and quality ALL have to come in to play when voting.

Good for you that you think it's the greatest metal album ever. But is it the best album of the 80's. Not in a million years, no matter how much you love it. It ain't, and never will be. It's not even a Top-4, it's not even a Top-20, and for alot it wouldn't even be a Top-100.

Even for rock fans. Only metal geeks would deem it so.

If we're gonna start recognizing genre-specific stuff, where's the country albums? The rap albums? Etc.

I didn't know we were voting for best metal album of the 80s. I thought we were voting for best album overall.

More people rocked out, and still to this DAY, Karma freakin' Chameleon than Master of Puppets.

If you dig the album, great. But it seems to me, you have a really narrow sight of music. If it ain't metal, it didn't exist.

Bottom line... only Metallica's "One" can compete with the competion's songs up there, and One ain't gonna get it.

Puppets has nothing to compete with outside of some mullet-headed, trans am driving, redneck basement.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Pump

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

But in terms of 'best albums of the 80s', yes, once again we're gonna get into this. I think effect on culture, relevance, and quality ALL have to come in to play when voting.

i don't think it should be that way. we're doing a best of based on what people on gnrevo like the best from the 80's, so the effect on the outside world shouldn't matter if we're going by personal choice. i won't say i like an album because everybody else likes it.

Axlin08 wrote:

Good for you that you think it's the greatest metal album ever. But is it the best album of the 80's. Not in a million years, no matter how much you love it. It ain't, and never will be. It's not even a Top-4, it's not even a Top-20, and for alot it wouldn't even be a Top-100.

is the black album the best of the 90's? because except for the illusions that would be the best album for gnrevo members. and i think the outside world has a different opinion

Axlin08 wrote:

If we're gonna start recognizing genre-specific stuff, where's the country albums? The rap albums? Etc.

I didn't know we were voting for best metal album of the 80s. I thought we were voting for best album overall.

If you dig the album, great. But it seems to me, you have a really narrow sight of music. If it ain't metal, it didn't exist.

this is mainly a hard rock/metal board. people will tend to like those types of albums because that's what they listen to most. i bet if you go to a country board or a rap board there will be no metal albums if they ever did their own top20. it's about people's preferences.

Axlin08 wrote:

Bottom line... only Metallica's "One" can compete with the competion's songs up there, and One ain't gonna get it.

Puppets has nothing to compete with outside of some mullet-headed, trans am driving, redneck basement.

i'm not mullet-headed, i don't drive a trans-am, i don't live in a basement and last i checked i wasn't a redneck, not even an american, and i think puppets is the greatest metallica album ever and form the albums left i think it's the best of the 80's. and second best i think should be slippery when wet.

so, just because you think ...and justice is the best some people tend to disagree with that opinion.
yes, it has "one" on it. it was their first video and they exploded on the scene after that. so?
i'd rather listen to sanitarium, the thing that should not be, puppets, battery, lepper messiah... than anything on ...and justice except one. hell, now that i've listed the songs i think puppets blows ...and justice out of the water.

so, go puppets 3 16

Board footer