You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Slash Sahara Japan 5" CD SINGLE

Sky Dog wrote:

I don't think it is any worse that the butchered SCOM from Big Daddy...the figaro stuff combo live/new band.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
madagas wrote:

I don't think it is any worse that the butchered SCOM from Big Daddy...the figaro stuff combo live/new band.

I work hard daily to erase that from my memory. It was so close to SCOM in places then just all wrong.

As for this Paradice City...I mean it can't touch the orginal in 1,000,000 light years, but then at the risk of sounding fan boy, there isn't a singer who can touch axl when he's on his game, and trying to replicate 80s slash and izzy chemestry us like trying to bottle lightening....So i wasn't expecting it to be better than the original, and of course it's not but it's a bit of fun!

I love that it takes fergie to hit those high parts at the end of the verses too!! lol.

I quite like Sarhara....looking forward to this album.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Axl S wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Paradise City wasn't too bad, it's a different take on the old track, when I thought it would be closer to the original. Still, it wasn't really necessary, was it?

To be fair it is just a b-side.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Sahara was pretty good...couldn't understand a word the guy was singing, so I hope that was the Japanese version and not an English version (if there is one).

Paradise City sucked on the surface, but there were times that Fergie actually sounded a little like Axl.  I prefer her in the studio to live, and this cover shows why.  I think had he lost Cyprus Hill and had Fergie sing it a little more uptempo, it could have been pretty good actually.  This also shows you how good Axl really was back in the day...nobody (male or female) can really imitate Axl in the studio.  He may not have always been on, but when he was, it was unbelievably good.

Agreed, "Sahara" sounded pretty good, but I probably would've liked it more if I could've understood the words.

Paradise City was awful.  Fergie wasn't half bad, but Cypress Hill was beyond awful.  I can see what Slash is doing but, man.  I just wish he would say no, or think things over a little more clearly sometimes.  Is it worth butchering a classic song to entice the Japanese buying public into purchasing this single?

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

that paradise city was kinda funky cool....i didnt hate it, they updated it pretty well with a blick eyed peas vibe...Slash really tears it up though..oh man that solo is fucking killer! 21

the sahara tune was ok, didnt really care for the vocals...was that japanese or english? someitmes i could almost understand it 16 i'm not a fan of music with vocals in a language i can't understandi concentrate too much on the words and not enough on the music

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Aussie wrote:

Sahara sounded ok to me, not a masterpiece but still a good solid song with some nice guitar work.

Paradise City - ummm I just don't know why you would do that.  Some parts Fergie's voice actually sounds quite good on it, but still WHY?  I don't see much positive to be gained by doing that song???

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
Axl S wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Paradise City wasn't too bad, it's a different take on the old track, when I thought it would be closer to the original. Still, it wasn't really necessary, was it?

Yet, Paradise City is his "salepitch" on Twitter..... hmm

Slash is quoted in saying "I'm no longer in that band (GN'R)"

So it doesn't sit right with me that on his "first" single as a "soloartist", he releases a GNR-cover...

With that said, I didn't hate this PC-version. I'm kinda looking forward to hearing his album...

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
Axl S wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Yeah, but why not showcase some killer new original material on there rather than attempt to update a song that is an absolute classic as it is?

Again, I ain't saying it was bad, and I can't fault the performances, but there was no need for it to be done.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

It was bad. Cringeworthy actually, I'm suprised he released it, its such a "what were you thinking?" moment in his career.

I'm out the loop, what have cypress hill done in the last 10 years that hasnt involved playing with Slash?

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

So this song has grown on me big time...it's catchy as fuck...I keep listening to it again....

I've worked out the english part is the chorus : 

"Sorry, I don't remember anything about you"

at 0.31 and then 1.21 and 3.09....but I think the rest isn't in english huh!!

Board footer