You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Axl S
 Rep: 112 

Re: Steven Tyler Quits Aerosmith

Axl S wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
Handsome B. Wonderful wrote:

That'd be like trying to replace Axl Rose, James Hetfield or whoever.

In other words: Literally impossible.

Do yourself a favor and call it quits.

Amen

Tyler is an icon.

They should see the success rate of those attempts from past bands.

Aerosmith without Tyler is like...

The Stones without Jagger

Zeppelin without Plant

Queen without Mercury

Sabbath without Ozzy

This is a BAD idea waiting to happen. Guitar players are virtually impossible to replace... vocalists ARE impossible to replace.

Only band that I know that has done it succesfully is AC/DC, Iron Maiden did it but that was before they were big.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Alice In Chains did it too recently, and Van Halen is another that springs to mind.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

Here lies Tyler, the Demon of Screamin, who never woke up from the dream he was dreamin, until one day he drank some magic potion, now all that's left is sweet emotion.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:

That was on of his Greatest Quotes he bested it with this new one though:"Joe Perry, you are a man of many colors. But I, motherfucker, am the rainbow!"

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Axl S wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
Handsome B. Wonderful wrote:

That'd be like trying to replace Axl Rose, James Hetfield or whoever.

In other words: Literally impossible.

Do yourself a favor and call it quits.

Amen

Tyler is an icon.

They should see the success rate of those attempts from past bands.

Aerosmith without Tyler is like...

The Stones without Jagger

Zeppelin without Plant

Queen without Mercury

Sabbath without Ozzy

This is a BAD idea waiting to happen. Guitar players are virtually impossible to replace... vocalists ARE impossible to replace.

Only band that I know that has done it succesfully is AC/DC, Iron Maiden did it but that was before they were big.

metallex78 wrote:

Alice In Chains did it too recently, and Van Halen is another that springs to mind.

Eh... yes, and no.

Like Axl S already said, Maiden wasn't really even a success when they brought Bruce in.

AC/DC & Van Halen were a different story. A bit different. AC/DC changed vocalists at the zenith of their popularity, when virtually nothing would derail them. They also did it at a time without internet, without the constant e-gossip in the world, bloggers 'n stuff, and without MTV to beat it into the ground in the 80's. Sure chronic rock fans were very aware, but the casual, the target demo, really didn't even know. To this day, I know countless people that didn't even know AC/DC had multiple singers. Brian did have some vocal similarities to Bon.

Van Halen pussed out to stay alive. I don't say that to slight them, but they also were at their zenith of popularity and Eddie's turn to keyboards, and a more ballad-heavy production on VH's albums, guaranteed mainstream radio success, Hagar or not. But it helped that Hagar also gave more vocal-depth to VH's songs, even if the rock swagger was gone.

Alice In Chains didn't really do anything, but not for the obvious reasons. BGWTB was a decent success, but AIC's vocalist-transition was helped by their inactivity, combined with the fact that Jerry Cantrell has pretty much been the backbone of the band since it's inception. He always provided backing vocals to Layne anyways, and pretty his voice to quite a few songs from the AIC back catalog.

AIC is basically just Jerry on lead, which is where they've been in the past. Nothing really changed. William DuVall is just kind of there to balance it all out.

But I guarantee you, had AC/DC been around for 30 years and brought in Brian or VH for 30 and brought in Sammy... they'd of bombed too.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

Steven Tyler Laid Off From Aerosmith As Band's Jobless Rate Hits 20%
July 7, 2008 | Issue 44•28

BOSTON—After years of relative stability, the Aerosmith unemployment rate soared to an all-time high of 20 percent Monday following the downsizing of the band's vocal sector, Steven Tyler.

Tyler, already dangerously underweight, says he will struggle to put food on the table without a steady income.
The announcement of the largest-ever round of Aerosmith layoffs sent shock waves throughout the group, but band leaders said that four decades of perfect employment was "unrealistic" and that it was necessary to shed some of the graying, outmoded workforce.

"Explaining to a longtime Aerosmith employee that his or her job is being eliminated is one of the most difficult challenges we face in this business," Aerosmith manager Trudy Green said in a statement released this morning. "We thank Steven for his many years of loyal service, and wish him the best of luck in all his future endeavors."

Analysts speculate that the sector-wide layoff was a result of multiple factors, including redundancies in the singing-songwriting division, rising rehab fees that have cost the group millions, and a 34 percent decline in jump-kicks since 2003. In addition, some of Aerosmith's younger, more ambitious employees, such as Joe Perry, 57, are willing to sing and play an instrument at the same time, often for half the salary.

"Tying a scarf to a microphone stand is unfortunately no longer a marketable skill," IndustryWeek editor David Blanchard said. "To compete in today's job market, you need to diversify your skill set. Someone who can not only sing, but also play tambourine and haul heavy equipment, is infinitely more valuable to a company."

Aerosmith, whose unemployment rate has held steady at 0 percent since the start-up rock outfit went public in 1970, recently underwent a paradigm shift away from what many deemed an antiquated business model. In the early 2000s, Aerosmith stopped manufacturing hits and instead began to focus primarily on repackaging and redistributing its existing product. This, Green said, made Tyler dispensable.

Tyler was reportedly informed of the decision 45 minutes before the band was scheduled to go onstage for a performance, and was told to pack up his belongings and turn in his Aerosmith "wings" pin before the audience arrived.

"Thirty-eight years of work, and this is the thanks I get?" said Tyler, who was set to retire in just 18 months. "It's embarrassing. When [guitarist] Ray [Tabano] left back in '71, we all got treated to a nice dinner and some cake on his last day. And he was only in the band for five months."

"The only reason I came on with Aerosmith in the first place was the job security," added Tyler, who said that after nearly 40 years of waking up at 5 p.m. sharp and going to work, he won't know what to do with himself when unemployed. "And I liked being able to come in wearing an unbuttoned leather shirt and a leopard-print cowboy hat. Where else am I going to find a job like that?"

Morale among the remaining Aerosmith employees, Tyler's coworkers said, is low.

"I'm going to miss Steven," said rhythm guitarist Brad Whitford. "He was a good guy, and, I don't know, I thought he sang pretty well."

This cost-cutting personnel change is Aerosmith's most radical shift in economic model since the band's experiments as a drug-trafficking cartel from 1978 to 1984, their brief 1986 merger with Run-DMC, and their short-lived 1994 attempt to switch over to fabricating microchips.

"This restructuring is exactly what Aerosmith needs right now," said Justin Levine, an analyst at Lehman Brothers. "Frankly, they've been in brand decline since that Super Bowl halftime show with Britney Spears."

"Everyone was hurt badly in the big 1998 Armageddon Bubble," said Bill Griffeth, host of CNBC's Power Lunch. "At that point, practically everyone—even members of the younger generation—bought into Aerosmith, but it was clear that they would not be able to sustain that level of global interest. In truth, purchasing any of their material since Get A Grip has involved a substantial level of risk."

Tyler is not the only one in the industry to be affected by the recent recession. In January, Bad Company was outsourced to China, and just last week, Don Henley of the Eagles was replaced by a drum machine.
---------------------
That's from The Onion, by the way.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
russtcb wrote:

That's awesome. Thanks for sharing that.

Between that and "American Muslims To Fort Hood Shooter: 'Thanks A Lot, Asshole'" my stomach hurt from laughing after looking at The Onion today.

Board footer