You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Re: The 2009 NFL Season Thread

Dick Jauron is fired!! I haven't been this happy about the Bills since Turk Schonert was fired!

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
misterID wrote:

Man, Dick Juron needs to be fired yesterday...

I'll have to look up more about this. Congrats China!

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

I say what he did to the o-line deserved firing. The Bills would be in a good place if they could have protected Trent Edwards, who's a damn good QB, and is getting murdered out there. The playcalling is vanilla with an etra topping of bland vanilla. Making coming from behind an impossibility. They should have beat the Titans. The playcalling and penatlies (thanks to the o-line) sealed they're fate.

Communist China

Here's hoping for Jim Haslett.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
Communist China wrote:

Dick Jauron is fired!! I haven't been this happy about the Bills since Turk Schonert was fired!

Wow is that right?! 

Odd time to fire him, usually it's done early (3-4 games in) or late (3-4 games left). Not mid-season. Smart move though, he was a sitting duck & the team wasn't productive. Get someone new in there (asst coach) see if they're any good, and also play some young new players. See who's worth keeping & who needs to be replaced.

Communist China

I think it's probably to get the jump on the hiring season. Let's face it, winning coaches like Holmgren, Shanahan, and Cowher don't have Buffalo anywhere near the top of their list, and it's clear that the Bills won't be winners for another 2 or 3 years at least so it's a lot to risk a reputation on. But if one of those guys in the ranks of great coaches not coaching gets antsy, Buffalo is clearly and actively looking for someone. I've already stated that I'd like Haslett as a realistic option, but there's a lot of ways to improve over Jauron (and Mularkey before him).

I've heard some people mention TO when discussing this and it has NOTHING to do with TO. I (and literally every Buffalo person I've talked to) is thrilled with the mood. My Dad even admits that after being a Bills fan for 40 years, the only true excitement of the past decade has been when coaches are fired. It's good to have hope, especially when talent and success aren't going to happen.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I can't imagine TO had much if anything to do with it. Even if it did complain, it was the right decision. Be interesting to see them get a 2nd start to their season. Even though they're out of it for the playoffs, they still have time to prove themselves & make it interesting. Their needs aren't QB, RB, WR so their placement in the draft isn't that much of a factor when likely they'll take OL or defense I suppose.

Yeah, if the asst doesn't work out it'll be interesting to see who they pick up. Haslett sounds possible. For Bills fans sake I hope they don't go the "new, young up n comer" route that alot of teams have went (TB, Oak with Lane Kiffin last year). That's atrend lately in the NFL that's a fraud & even Denvers cooling down with their coach. This just in, NFL is more than "Rah Rah Rah" and saying "I'm a leader" like you're on Donald Trumps The Apprentice!

Communist China

Yeah Buffalo may have to though, they have trouble attracting big name coaches. Jauron had a bad record when hired, Mularkey and Williams were co-ordinators, they just don't get interest from the Jon Grudens of the world. I hope they go for experience, but as long as the coach has some fire I'm ok with it. I would kill for Singletary as a coach, after years of emotionless failure I'd love to see someone get angry about mistakes. 10 false starts in a game and you can't even manage a loud word? The tolerance of failure has to go, and any age person can provide that.

The Bills will probably pursue a QB in the draft, there was even a rumor of benching Edwards for Fitzpatrick, which would be stupid but confidence in Edwards is at an all time low. 6 TDs, 7 INTs, happy feet in the pocket and poorly thrown deep balls and a yards per pass attempt average of 6.5 is pretty pathetic. The line is mostly to blame but he may be permanently damaged because of them, he's called "Captain Checkdown" in Buffalo because he only throws to the flats or to hook routes. The best pass the Bills have had all year was from Fred Jackson. Of course Edwards should be given the remainder of the season to prove his worth because clearly Fitz isn't a long term investment, but don't be surprised to see the Bills draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round.

slashsfro
 Rep: 53 

slashsfro wrote:

Yeah Buffalo may have to though, they have trouble attracting big name coaches. Jauron had a bad record when hired, Mularkey and Williams were co-ordinators, they just don't get interest from the Jon Grudens of the world. I hope they go for experience, but as long as the coach has some fire I'm ok with it. I would kill for Singletary as a coach, after years of emotionless failure I'd love to see someone get angry about mistakes. 10 false starts in a game and you can't even manage a loud word? The tolerance of failure has to go, and any age person can provide that.

The Bills will probably pursue a QB in the draft, there was even a rumor of benching Edwards for Fitzpatrick, which would be stupid but confidence in Edwards is at an all time low. 6 TDs, 7 INTs, happy feet in the pocket and poorly thrown deep balls and a yards per pass attempt average of 6.5 is pretty pathetic. The line is mostly to blame but he may be permanently damaged because of them, he's called "Captain Checkdown" in Buffalo because he only throws to the flats or to hook routes. The best pass the Bills have had all year was from Fred Jackson. Of course Edwards should be given the remainder of the season to prove his worth because clearly Fitz isn't a long term investment, but don't be surprised to see the Bills draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round.

Gotta be honest here--Buffalo had a chance to win the game in the 2nd half but the d just wore down.  And I have no idea why Jauron didn't accept the holding call in the 4th quarter to push the Titans out of FG range.

CC--would you have a preference toward an offensive minded coach?  I think the Saints O-Coordinator Pete Carmichael could be an option here as the bigger market teams will go after the "name" coaches and bump the hot coordinators down the list a bit.

I think the Bills bungled the O-Line situation after they dealt Peters to the Eagles.  In retrospect,  the Bills should have taken Oher (the tackle prospect) instead of Maybin the De.  Why did they release Langston Walker a few days before the regular season again?  At the very least, he provided experienced depth.  They've also been hit with a lot of OL injuries.

I think it's likely that a QB prospect might drop to the Bills depending on how many juniors enter the draft.  Currently, the Bills are 9th in the draft standings.  If Clausen, Locker, and Bradford all declare the Bills could have a chance at grabbing one of these guys.    The Bills also desperately need to hire a football guy to run the orginization.  The current COO is a financial guy.

CC, take heart man it could be worse.  You could be a Browns or Raiders fan:lol:

Communist China

The Browns beat the Bills this year, though. In Buffalo.

I'd like an offensive guy I guess but Mike Mularkey was an "offensive" guy and the offense sucked with him. Belichick is a defensive guy but their offense is arguably the best in the league.

Jason Peters was a tough situation - last year he held out demanding more money, and then sucked. So he missed preseason and because apparently he was worth more than what he was getting, then he didn't produce. He was unhappy being there and not worth the amount he wanted (judging by his performance that last season). So the Bills let him go. Bills have had a putrid O-line for 5 or 6 years, it's nothing new. The organization got tired of having a bad line and threw everybody out the window. Really ever since they drafted Mike Williams the line has been bad. Bills needed some D-line depth and still need more pressure from the front 4 - they should have taken Orakpo instead of Maybin. Bills have a recent history of making bad 1st round picks but getting talent in later rounds.

At least Jairius Byrd is on the team.

Board footer