You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TOTAL LOSS
 Rep: 5 

Re: How hard is it to leak a song?

TOTAL LOSS wrote:
Naltav wrote:
jorge76 wrote:

I don't "know" by any means. 

But I think the main difference is that most leaks are from albums that are about to come out.  Finished, discs pressed, just sitting on a shelf waiting to come out.  The GNR leaks were of songs still being worked on, which is much more rare.

That's my impression as wel...

Imagine you're a famous painter and you're working on a new piece of art and someone breaks into your house, takes a picture/copy of your unfinnished work and spreads it to the world saying "Hey guys, look! It's the new painting he's been working on for 15 years!!"

If you're the artist, you would most likely be upset and go: "WTF!? It's not even done yet, and the picture/copy is of crappy quality.... Who the fuck did this to my precious!!?? Where's my legalteam?!" 17

It seems to be a different story when the art is 100% done, pressed and ready to be shipped around the world....

Early sketches and rough drafts contain an energy, sponteniety and integrity almost always lost in the final product.

Ask any illustrator and they will tell you that you can never re-crerate that initial thumbnail in the final version. It's just the organic quality of that gesture or stroke you can't duplicate. Same thing with any musical instrument. Thats really half of CD's problem right there, isn't it?

When I was in art school I would always walk around and survey the works in progress- paintings, sculpture, architectural models, whatever. Quite a few artists work openly, and the creative performance is as much a part of the process as the final composition. Sometimes even more so. Not everything has to be shrouded in secrecy.

In fact, I almost always listen to GN'R, Nirvana and Alice in Chains demos and live performances over the album versions. Those musical sketches are glory to my ears.

But then I like real cream cheese as opposed to processed cheese.

So, yeah, bring on the work in progress, please.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

It's easy to get a file onto the Internet.
It's not easy to get the file in the first place.

And like any action, there are repurcussions. The hoarded song has no value at that moment. You can't use it to get another commodity. You can't leverage it for information about other songs, or use it to get something else that you want.

And then there's also this parodox. The people that got these things are probably super fans. Do you think THEY want these leaks, bad tape recordings, and otherwise unfinished things reviewed in Rollingstone or whatever? Probably not.

But when they play the game the way they play it, they can get songs, they can hear songs, and nothing gets too out of hand.

That's the way I imagine it playing out.

And imagine if you gave someone a song, and that get's leaked out at some point, do you think you're going to trust that person again with a trade? No, they will be a suspect. Because whoever leaked it lowered your net value, preventing you from getting songs. That's a helluva scarlet letter you put on yourself in however big that "hoarding community" is.

Technically, not hard.
Relationally, very hard.

TSI
 Rep: 2 

TSI wrote:

MSL you know as well as I do "who" leaked chicken dinner and tagged it with that name, It was NOT Fernando. So, you may let that rumor die-didn't happen that way. And nobody was in "Tianamin square" either so lose that as well.
Most leaks come from low-level employees of the label who happen to grab it and use it as a bargaining tool...Some of the GNR leaks were apprehended at the strip club that was "supposed" to be secure-live and learn.
Other groups leaks can come from a variety of sources, whether an advance copy was handed to a "trusted" friend, or a privaledged person being around at the right time. I don't particularly approve of leaks-being a writer it would be tantamount of someone spoiling the ending of my book before the damn thing was even released in print! So call me what you may, I value loyalty, true friendship, and people not out to glorify themselves by smearing someone else's efforts illegally, I believe in Karma as well-and some people are seriously due for their past deeds to come around and bite them in the ass when they least expect it,this is my POV and I''m just expressing it.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
TOTAL LOSS wrote:
Naltav wrote:
jorge76 wrote:

I don't "know" by any means. 

But I think the main difference is that most leaks are from albums that are about to come out.  Finished, discs pressed, just sitting on a shelf waiting to come out.  The GNR leaks were of songs still being worked on, which is much more rare.

That's my impression as wel...

Imagine you're a famous painter and you're working on a new piece of art and someone breaks into your house, takes a picture/copy of your unfinnished work and spreads it to the world saying "Hey guys, look! It's the new painting he's been working on for 15 years!!"

If you're the artist, you would most likely be upset and go: "WTF!? It's not even done yet, and the picture/copy is of crappy quality.... Who the fuck did this to my precious!!?? Where's my legalteam?!" 17

It seems to be a different story when the art is 100% done, pressed and ready to be shipped around the world....

Early sketches and rough drafts contain an energy, sponteniety and integrity almost always lost in the final product.

Ask any illustrator and they will tell you that you can never re-crerate that initial thumbnail in the final version. It's just the organic quality of that gesture or stroke you can't duplicate. Same thing with any musical instrument. Thats really half of CD's problem right there, isn't it?

When I was in art school I would always walk around and survey the works in progress- paintings, sculpture, architectural models, whatever. Quite a few artists work openly, and the creative performance is as much a part of the process as the final composition. Sometimes even more so. Not everything has to be shrouded in secrecy.

In fact, I almost always listen to GN'R, Nirvana and Alice in Chains demos and live performances over the album versions. Those musical sketches are glory to my ears.

But then I like real cream cheese as opposed to processed cheese.

So, yeah, bring on the work in progress, please.

I get what you're saying about live performances...

Often when I want a dose of GNR, I watch the Blu-Ray from Gibson Amphitheatre from '06. Outstanding performance!!

I know I'm a bit of a hypocrit when it comes to leaked material. As a hardcore fan, my curriosity takes over. But I can also understand the artist wanting to control when and how his art is exposed to the world.

To me, a live performance and the final album are kinda two different things. But I don't share your passion for demos... Sure I listened the crap out of the demos before the album was released, but I don't find myself going back to the them nowadays and I'm pretty sure a majority of hardcore fans do the same. Same thing with bootleg videos. Ones GNR officially release a high quality live Blu-Ray/DVD, my bootlegs will start to gather dust in a closet somewhere...

If GNR releases a new album next year and in the store you HAD TO choose between the finnished product with artwork, pictures and lyrics or a CD-R with rough demos and in this bizzare scenario you would forever be stuck with one or the other.  You would go for the CD-R?

gavgnr
 Rep: 4 

gavgnr wrote:

off topic  - Naltov, any possibility of b&p for the blu-ray cali show?

TSI wrote:

MSL you know as well as I do "who" leaked chicken dinner and tagged it with that name, It was NOT Fernando. So, you may let that rumor die-didn't happen that way. And nobody was in "Tianamin square" either so lose that as well.

i was sent chicken dinner by brodie william. i sent chicken dinner to michael horn. michael horn leaked chicken dinner from tiananmen square.

all three of my sentences are 100% true. the same can't be said for your three sentences.

take care.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

mendosa
 Rep: 0 

mendosa wrote:
mister saint laurent wrote:
TSI wrote:

i was sent chicken dinner by brodie william. i sent chicken dinner to michael horn. michael horn leaked chicken dinner from tiananmen square.

all three of my sentences are 100% true. the same can't be said for your three sentences.

take care.

i trust you

sincerly,
your commander in chief

Gong
 Rep: 60 

Gong wrote:

I'm still holding out hope that at least 1 song will leak in the 2009 calendar year (or early 2010).

It seems that when the band is on tour, secrets are easier to obtain, and people are a bit more careless about secrecy.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer