You are not logged in. Please register or login.

TOTAL LOSS
 Rep: 5 

Re: How hard is it to leak a song?

TOTAL LOSS wrote:

Downloading isn't even close to the success of a physical album.You're just going on about a way of distribution that's been tried and isn't even close to the sells of actual CD's, but anyone who thinks otherwise is wrong. Your proposal is just your idea. It is not fact. There's nothing to argue about. 

Digital music sales will surpass CD sales by 2012. Maybe CD2 will be ready by then and they can strike and exclusive in-store only at Radio Shack.

And as many people knew about Chinese Democracy as they do about the Prince Black Album or Dr. Dre's Detox. These are albums the press and fans obsess about. Not the average music buying public.

There were lengthy feature articles printed in Rolling Stone, GQ magazine and the New York Times. The average music buying public was absolutely aware and intrigued.

They could have had a bigger hit record in 2002 during the VMA and Buckethead build up. They didn't. They waited 6 years and until Buckethead left to release it. With no help from the band and record company. This is what you get. 

I don't know about that. Buckethead was drifting away and Axl just looked silly. The whole thing seemed awkward. I would have said 2006 for release. But yeah, timing is crucial.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Great side discussions going on(minus the MSL jabs), but regardless of what side of the fence you are on, the album definitely deserved better online promotion. Music sites of all sorts should have been littered with ads for Chinese Democracy, online interviews with band members(they did do a few though), UMG showcasing the album on its websites,  and they were fools for not taking advantage of the Twitter craze.

Its the 21st century. Not taking advantage of these outlets causes a domino effect which can be felt everywhere else. Example.....Spin Magazine. Always a supporter of GNR, even in the silent period. Their magazine issue the month of CD's release had M.I.A. on the cover pretty much rehashing the Paper Planes craze. She is very savvy when it comes to the internet, and this pays off in more ways than one. Had Axl/GNR actually took an active approach in promoting, they would have got that cover instead of her. Not gonna dig up the issue, but I'm pretty sure GNR weren't even mentioned. I think the review came in the following issue.

If you wanna play ball, you gotta step up to the plate instead of just talking about playing ball.

TSI
 Rep: 2 

TSI wrote:

The established recording industry is sinking fast...and they had better throw out some liferafts if they hope to save it. The Moguls are losing their mogulity fast- and as for MSL & Skwerl-have no use for thieves in any shape-same goes for live free and a conglomeration of others that cooperated. I didn't have any inclination to download/steal from a musician because I am in that genre and I know the work that goes into each song. I heard the new songs at
the 06-07 concerts,and am looking forward to the 09-10 gigs

ronartest2004

TSI wrote:

The established recording industry is sinking fast...and they had better throw out some liferafts if they hope to save it. The Moguls are losing their mogulity fast- and as for MSL & Skwerl-have no use for thieves in any shape-same goes for live free and a conglomeration of others that cooperated. I didn't have any inclination to download/steal from a musician because I am in that genre and I know the work that goes into each song. I heard the new songs at

I cant lie, I have downloaded every leak that has happened, but I have also bought every album. The thing that drives to download every leak (besides wanting to hear new gnr) is that you never know when new material will (if ever) be released. And with how the gnr music scene goes...you had better get it while its out there because once its gone its gone.

And it always seems like when something gets leaked the person who leaks the songs first tries to leak them on the mygnrs,htgth..etc type of forums, which are quickly deleted then those forums send out their watch dogs to delete any links that may go up. I just shake my head...why not just put up the songs on a bittorrent..that way everyone has a chance to get the songs.

Stepvhen
 Rep: 58 

Stepvhen wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Great side discussions going on(minus the MSL jabs), but regardless of what side of the fence you are on, the album definitely deserved better online promotion. Music sites of all sorts should have been littered with ads for Chinese Democracy, online interviews with band members(they did do a few though), UMG showcasing the album on its websites,  and they were fools for not taking advantage of the Twitter craze.

Its the 21st century. Not taking advantage of these outlets causes a domino effect which can be felt everywhere else. Example.....Spin Magazine. Always a supporter of GNR, even in the silent period. Their magazine issue the month of CD's release had M.I.A. on the cover pretty much rehashing the Paper Planes craze. She is very savvy when it comes to the internet, and this pays off in more ways than one. Had Axl/GNR actually took an active approach in promoting, they would have got that cover instead of her. Not gonna dig up the issue, but I'm pretty sure GNR weren't even mentioned. I think the review came in the following issue.

If you wanna play ball, you gotta step up to the plate instead of just talking about playing ball.

Exactly GNR talk a good game. I would have thought the "Poison Dwarf" could have sorted the advertising side of things out but, .. obviously not. My theory is still that the record company was not prepared to haemorrhage more funds on this project.

I think they were hoping word of mouth would carry the album due to its Mythical status.

What they forgot however, was that in today's world, Word of Mouth is spread online. The internet is many peoples preferred mode of communication. Without an online presence you cannot expect word of mouth to spread very far

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

emcitymisfit wrote:
ronartest2004 wrote:
TSI wrote:

I cant lie, I have downloaded every leak that has happened, but I have also bought every album. The thing that drives to download every leak (besides wanting to hear new gnr) is that you never know when new material will (if ever) be released. And with how the gnr music scene goes...you had better get it while its out there because once its gone its gone.

And it always seems like when something gets leaked the person who leaks the songs first tries to leak them on the mygnrs,htgth..etc type of forums, which are quickly deleted then those forums send out their watch dogs to delete any links that may go up. I just shake my head...why not just put up the songs on a bittorrent..that way everyone has a chance to get the songs.

They inevitably get on the torrent sites, so why not give the gnr fanbase first dibs? If you put in the loads of effort required, why not get some recognition? Nothing wrong with that at all.

I agree with you, but this whole "I didn't download any of the songs" stuff is either disingenuous or the EXTREME minority. If you didn't download any of the songs, then more power to you, I guess. If you think that makes you virtuous, then believe that.

If you think that trashing MSL, Live Free, etc makes you a bigger man online, then go ahead -- but you're either a hypocrite or one of few.

And I still don't see how live bootlegs (that weren't meant to be viewed outside of the arena) are better in any way than unpolished demos of songs that will be purchased anyway.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

from my understanding live free jsut happened to be in the right place at the right time

he also came to this board and tried to tell us how to run the place...didnt agree with that at all...

TSI

TSI wrote:

Would have liked to have witnessed that firsthand....must have been interesting to say the least. No,I don't agree with what thieves and pirates have done nonchalantly to GNR, but karma is a bitch and I do believe what goes around comes around, No I chose not to download because I know how much work goes into fucking making music.period.:rock:

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
TOTAL LOSS wrote:

Digital music sales will surpass CD sales by 2012.

So this is what the myans were talking about.

Singles on iTunes will continue to be huge. It's revolutionized the industry and made the physical CD single obsolete... But it will never take the place of an album.

By 2012... Your projection is doomed to fail!!! 16

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

CDs are as dated as bell bottoms. The format is quickly wearing out its welcome, and its a two pronged approach by music buyers and the record industry itself. The record industry doesn't want you buying cds as it's limited where they could be sold, and those stores are now shrinking their shelf space for them.

Digital sales will surpass CD sales simply because you wont have anywhere to buy one and the format wont be worth the investment from labels. This is already happening with promo used for artists where the promotion rides more on 'Buy It now on Itunes or Amazon' with NO mention of any physical stores to buy a disc.

You have three things to thank for this....

1. The record industry's desire to destroy itself.

2. The public's love of the instant gratification that an mp3 provides.

3. Anyone who has purchased a cd at Walmart.

While this is transpiring, to take a line from Ozzy, we are "going forward in reverse". While music moves into the 21st century, we are essentially back in the 60s in a singles driven culture. Main difference being instead of LPs being pushed on us, we get to download the songs instead. We also have wider options because the labels no longer get to decide what we listen to and when we listen to it, and the consumers crying the loudest for a return to the previous state are the ones who put us in this situation in the first place.

Its why I laugh while Rome burns. The people mourning it are the ones who lit the fucking match. Instead of lighting matches you should have been buying albums at your local record stores when they still existed.

In 2010, you can download for free, pay for a download, or buy a cd at Wal Mart/Best Buy shipped straight from a Chinese or Indian sweatshop.

I choose Pirate Bay and Itunes for my musical needs, and on a very rare occasion will purchase a cd, usually online.

Anyone got a spare match?

As far as the album format goes, I have predicted for years now that the album itself will eventually cease to exist and will simply become a series of singles.

vhak2g.jpg

Board footer