You are not logged in. Please register or login.

polluxlm
 Rep: 221 

Re: Downloading CD's vs Buying Used

polluxlm wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

Polluxlm, here in this country it is not a trade. While there were "trade in 2 cds for 1" deals, you could actually buy used cds here for 5 to 9 bucks.

I was referring to the trade of 2 tangible objects, compact disc and money (although I'm sure we can questions the tangibility of money 16). Meaning you don't 'ruin' anything since the same shit is in circulation. With downloading however you inflate the market, making the toll on the record companies a lot more severe (which is great long term).

Look at it like this, you have a million records sold. At first trade that can in theory mean that another million gets to enjoy the same record without the record company making any additional revenue. With downloading however you can in principle only buy one record and spread it to just as many, most likely more.

It's clearly not the same thing when the effects differ in such a large degree.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Yeah in theory buying a used CD is different to downloading. The artist has sold one legitimate copy of that album, and only one person is listening to that copy of the album, its just a change in which person that is. When the new owner gets the CD the old owner looses the ability to hear it. So while them both buying and keeping it would be better for the artist..its not that its being stolen in the same way. However now that people pirate their own cds and sell them,,,thats a bit different.

well see thats exactly what i'm getting at....its reducing the revenue to both the band and the label so its odd that the industry never made a big deal about it....and as was stated now the downloading and used cd market are feeding off each other,

BurningHills
 Rep: 15 

BurningHills wrote:

I buy tons of used CDs.

I just snagged a rare Wildhearts CD used on eBay for $8.50

I'm NOT complaining!

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed