You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Randall Flagg
 Rep: 139 

Re: ‘Humbled’ Obama Wins Nobel Peace Prize

Sorry I'm late to this, but those pictures are bullshit.  Of course people in Africa and Indonesia are going to be happy one of "them" made it to the Presidency.  What does the arabic picture show us?  Some Arab holding a newspaper with Obama on it; no celebrating or protesting.  He has it. And of course, the inaguration crowd.  Whoop dee doo.  He got a bunch of morons who fell for magic words like hope and change to pile on the National Mall.  DId you see Glenn Beck's 9/12 rally?  How about showing me the innaguration Photos from W in 2000 and 2004.  I bet they're the same. 

To sum it up, just because some photos of him sprung up in a positive light, what the hell does that have to do with world peace?  If you can give Obama credit for one thing thus far, is he made a signiificant group of people feel good about themselves.  If making people feel good about themselves is all we need to do to get the Noble Prize, I nominate the drug dealer for next year's Nobel Prize.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Didn't read the thread, as I'm sure some comments will enjoy me big_smile

I don't pretend to have read Alfred Nobels testimony where he speaks of what type of characteristics the winner should have. Have any other? It sure sounds like many have been studying that for hours.

So the question: "What did he do to deserve it then" is pointless when you don't know the rules of the game being played.

The prize has, in earlier stages, been given to kick-start a person ambitions, to support a persons ambitions, and also given after the ambitions and goals have been completed. There are numerous of ways this prize has been used. Martin Luther King Jr got the award way way before his ambitions had been fullfilled. It was given to support him, to support his ongoing struggle, to support his ideas. They give it to Obama for most of the same reasons.

Does he deserve it? On some levels no, on some levels yes. For him it only generates more pressure on what he is trying to do.

So do I support the award?

Yes I do.

And no I don't.

It depends what approach you're taking.

And like I said, all quite pointless what any of us thinks when we haven't read one shit of what Nobel said in his testimony anyway

To sum it up, just because some photos of him sprung up in a positive light, what the hell does that have to do with world peace?  If you can give Obama credit for one thing thus far, is he made a signiificant group of people feel good about themselves.  If making people feel good about themselves is all we need to do to get the Noble Prize, I nominate the drug dealer for next year's Nobel Prize.

Just a tip. Watch less Fox News.

BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

Watch less Fox News? Why? Because while they still may lean towards the red every other station is deep blue with their lips all over Obama's ass.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.p … 05#p144205

citation for why he won....previous page

Randall Flagg

Neemo wrote:

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.p … 05#p144205

citation for why he won....previous page

And as I said, he was given the award for inspiring "hope" in people.  In other words, he made people feel good.  The nuclear weapons and climate bullshit haven't happened yet.   It's all a bunch of feel good rhetoric.  So as I said, with no input from Fox News or the hatred and failure to move past 2008 from MSNBC.

Our President got the Nobel Prize because he made people feel good.  Nothing more, nothing less.

DCK

DCK wrote:

Watch less Fox News? Why?

Because it's bad for you. The first time I saw it, I thought it was a parody channel.

The nuclear weapons and climate bullshit haven't happened yet.   It's all a bunch of feel good rhetoric.

And like I said, they don't always give the award out to ambitions met. They also give it out to inspire, to kickstart and to support goals.

The Israelis and Palestinian leaders got the award in the 90's. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but did they get it after peace was found, or as a way to inspire them towards reaching their goal? Is it peace there yet? No? Yes?

Not saying I fully support it, but I ain't fully protesting it either. I get the reasons why. I may not believe it was at the right time, but to use nonsense like "he hasn't done shit" or "he got it for making people feel good" is way too easy.

Randall Flagg

I remember when Arafat got it in the 90s.  It was a fucking joke then.  Giving a terrorist a Peace Prize.  I don't blame Obama or look poorly on him at all for this.  He knows it's a joke and a result of the Obamamania that swept America and a good portion of the West during the US elections.  That was evidenced when he put the minimum amount of time possible in receiving the award.  What irks me are the people who claim he deserved this or that it was somehow valid. 

It was a slap in the face to Bush and unfortunately, it shows how uninformed most of the people are and how they allow bias to blind or distort their reality.  Obama has made no significant deviations from Bush.  His war policy is an extension of Bush's policies and have not changed at all.  His stimulus plan is the same one urged by Bush.  When you look at the "issues" that are important to Americans, the economy and the war are at the top, and Obama has not deviated from Bush in the slightest. 

Obama made people feel good, which isn't a bad thing.  What is shitty is how easy it was to do so and how the most adamant supporters cling to the weakest excuse or distortion possible to justify their almost diefication of him.

DCK

DCK wrote:

I wasn't debating the reasons to give Arafat the peace prize. That's a different matter.

Interesting though, he's been in office for not even a year, and people expect all these changes to happen quickly. Bush needed 8 years to ruin a lot of stuff, obviously the next one needs at least that to correct his mistakes big_smile

People laughed at me when I said the Iraqi war 2003 couldn't really be debated until at least 20 years after it happened, as you cannot judge the history yourself is living in. That will be the case with both these presidents, and I have quite a good idea how it will go down once the history books are made.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I know you said you're late to this RF, I'm not trying to bring up old shit. All I'll say is my stance is similar to what DCK said, really what are the criteria to win?  I agree with you 100% he got it for instilling hope in people there is a chance at a better world, but he instilled it in a billion or so people probably. That's very hard to accomplish. Doesn't mean he's the greatest man on earth or hercules, just is what he did & probably why they gave it to him. One could go down the list of award winners & about once a decade there's one who stands out like that. "What'd they do??"

DCK

DCK wrote:

People naturally see the award as something given to someone who has accomplished something. It's easy to see that, and it's easy to understand why they are surprised Obama won, but I repeat again, history has shown us that the award has been given to people in support of their plans, or as a way to kick their ideas forward, to push them in the right decision.

People also don't understand why a president can be given such an award when he's a president in war. Well, Obama herited those wars. He didn't create them. He's trying to find a way out of them. As Obama said in his speech today, and I agreed with him on everything, sometimes peace cannot be won by dialogue alone. Hitler could be not brought down to dialogue alone.

Again, I'm a bit on the fence as if it was the right time to give it to him, but I understand the reasons as to WHY they gave it to them.

If my understanding of the criteria is correct that is.

Board footer