You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Jessica Simpson film grosses $384 at the Box Office

James wrote:

Jessica Simpson's new film 'Blonde Ambition' might have set some sort of box office record last weekend. The film, which is basically a remake of 'Working Girl,' had an opening day gross of only $384. Sure, it didn't have the marketing campaign of a film like 'I am Legend,' and 'Blonde Ambition' only opened in eight screens in Texas, but the take of only $48 dollars per screen doesn't bode well. And just asking: $48 per screen works out to about 6 people per theater. Doesn't Simpson know more than six people per theater in her home state of Texas? Where's the love for the hometown girl?

James

James wrote:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!! Classic. Even small independent films with very limited distribution make thousands, not hundreds of dollars.

Her career is toast.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

Now, now.

Remember that little cult film called The Boondock Saints? Before becoming a sleeper hit on DVD, it received a token theatrical release in the year 2000 in director Troy Duffy's native area of Boston, where the film was based (and possibly shot). It ran in five theatres for about twenty days in late January to early February, churning up a total gross of $30,000. This means it averaged on $300 / day.

Boondock Saints was set to become the post-Tarantino superproject for Miramax Films back in the day, so it was never just an obscure little indie. My point being, while I hardly qualify as a Jessica Simpson advocate, limited theatrical releases do not always provide with a good indication on the film's overall success.

James

James wrote:

Boondock Saints was a legitimate film that just took a bit of work to get it off the ground. Simpson's film is something no one cared about so her dad had to finance it so it could be made.

Big difference.

sic.

sic. wrote:

Yeah, but it may do well enough on the home video market to maintain her in that medium. That is something that cannot be read solely from the results of a limited theatrical release. Can't see why the old man's so keen on maintaining her so-called film career anyway, as she's been one of those blink n' miss's as far as feature films have been concerned.

Lindsay Lohan will hopefully follow suit.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:
sic. wrote:

Now, now.
It ran in five theatres for about twenty days in late January to early February, churning up a total gross of $30,000. This means it averaged on $300 / day.

There's a big difference between $30,000 and $384!!!  $30,000 could bring in only hardcore indie film buffs in the Boston area. Also it isn't much of a date movie so elimate a large part of the movie goers and word of mouth buzz for it. But $384?? That's only about 50 people??!

When I first read this I thought it meant $384 million or something?! I though, does she have a cameo in some movie or do a voiceover for a new animated movie I don't know about?!

sic.

sic. wrote:
Jameslofton wrote:

$48 per screen works out to about 6 people per theater.

PaSnow wrote:
sic. wrote:

This means it averaged on $300 / day.

There's a big difference between $30,000 and $384!!!

We're talking daily averages per screen here.

There's less of a difference between $48 and $300, while the rift does remain notable. More comparable numbers should be received after the holidays, depending the film will continue to screen. After three days, the average's actually $55 (which is still dreadfully low, but not too surprising considering it opened in the midst of the holidays and presuming it got nil advertising).

My point is and remains, even a good movie (which I doubt anything related to Jessica Simpson could be) can do horrible box-office without proper promotion and a limited release.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

I didn't even know she had a film coming out...LOL

Just goes to show, no one is really interested.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer