You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gunslinger
 Rep: 88 

Re: The Next Chapter or the Grand Finale?

Gunslinger wrote:

To say alot is riding on the success of Chinese Democracy would be a huge understatement.  Axl has really dug himself into a whole with all the delays and the expectations that come along with an album that has been in-the-making for this long. 

When (and if) Chinese Democracy is released what will it mean for Axl?  The chances of success dwindle with every passing year and the amount of success is more and more likely to be on a smaller scale. 

Axl knows these things and I think that is partly why he is so reluctant to release it.  He's in a tough spot.  Don't release it and your career becomes the subject of jokes rather than legacy.  Do release it and it fails and the fate isn't any better.   

Once (and again if) Chinese Democracy is released do you guys think that Axl will finally feel he has the monkey off his back and move on with his career (either with the new band or a reunion with the old band) or do you feel anything short of a huge success will make Chinese Democracy his final work?

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

It will be his final work with this lineup no matter what in my opinion.  Likely his final work overall, but Axl has surrounded himself with enough yes men that they might talk him into trying again.  Not sure the guys in the band would want to hang around for that.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

if gnr is contracted for 3 albums, as is rumored, then geffen will release them all...i think the 13mill that everyone talks about is actually for 3 cds...if thats the case then its only about $4.3333mill per disk...still alot but geffen/universal/interscope isnt gonna let it get away for free, they'll milk it for all its worth

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I think a little bit of both (hate to take the easy road 16 ). If it comes out I don't think it will be Axl or GnR's last album, but i do think all future GnR releases will have less impact on the days music scene. Rock is in the gutter, so on one hand alot of people are looking forward to it. But at the same time, it's not going to be some 50 year old rocker which will be the savior either. So the future GnR releases will not be as highly anticipated (unless it's a reunion album with the old band, but that will be more for novelty purposes, not so much for the music). 

CD will not explode & be the AFD for this new band, but I don't think it will be the only album either. Most likely as Neemo said, another album or two will be due. And likely the songs are already recorded, will just be released a year or two later, with maybe a few new songs written & recorded & added in.

But I think this band is not going to be "GnR" for more than 3-4 years after CD is released. So in a way, it'll be the beginning of the end for its existance.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Best case scenario is its like an Achtung Baby type album but with a million copies sold. It wont sell that much, but thats the highest mountain it can aim for.

I think CD is it. Axl will fulfill the rest of the contract with hits albums.

I would love for 3 albums to come out, but its not looking very likely.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

I think it will end the band GN'R, in fact I don't even expect a tour for the album except the major festivals in Europe, and a few NY and Las Vegas dates. Then I think the band will make more promises that they don't intend to keep while the fanbase either departs or waits with more desperation than ever before for older versions, unreleased b-sides, and scrapped live DVD and documentary plans to leak.

Kinda sad.

well Baz says there is 3 or 4 albums worth of songs GnR has ready.   I think they could stick around for a while.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I think a little bit of both (hate to take the easy road 16 ). If it comes out I don't think it will be Axl or GnR's last album, but i do think all future GnR releases will have less impact on the days music scene. Rock is in the gutter, so on one hand alot of people are looking forward to it. But at the same time, it's not going to be some 50 year old rocker which will be the savior either. So the future GnR releases will not be as highly anticipated (unless it's a reunion album with the old band, but that will be more for novelty purposes, not so much for the music). 

CD will not explode & be the AFD for this new band, but I don't think it will be the only album either. Most likely as Neemo said, another album or two will be due. And likely the songs are already recorded, will just be released a year or two later, with maybe a few new songs written & recorded & added in.

But I think this band is not going to be "GnR" for more than 3-4 years after CD is released. So in a way, it'll be the beginning of the end for its existance.

I'm taking the easy road and not answering the question either, but... 

I think what it will be all depends on what Axl expects out of it.  The question is- Has Axl surrounded himself with enough yes-men for long enough that he believes a 50 year old rocker can be the savior?  If he has, then if CD comes out and does what a lot of us expect it to do commercially, he won't do anything but another Greatest Hits, and another live album to fill his contract.

If he has realistic expectations (something about typing that made me laugh) he could do pretty much whatever he wants, which would be easier if all this rumoured material is in the can already.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

I think its already over. I think we've seen the last of them. No CD is coming. No tours. Nothing. Goodbye, don't forget to turn the lights out when you leave.

Board footer