You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Another cash grab tour? - Rumored Brazil tour first half of 2008

RussTCB wrote:

removed

russtcb wrote:

I just don't understand why we all can't just move on from that.

15 years after the UYI tour you'd think so.

it is the way it is, and I dont see it changing, otherwise Axl wouldn't have taken the necessary measures to keep the Guns N' Roses name.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:

Move on from what?  Nothing has changed, why should we pretend it has just to please a few people?  Until they release an album so they can stand on their own accomplishments, the fools in my opinion are the ones who think this is the same band.  It isn't, don't try to tell me it is because I know better.  This isn't a matter of opinion, it is a fact.  It is not the same band.  It has the same name and the same lead singer - end of story.  nobody is "starting" with the name thing again becasue the name thing still hasn't gone away.  If you want to be pissed at someone, be pissed at Axl.  He's allowed this to happen.

buzzsaw wrote:

nobody is "starting" with the name thing again becasue the name thing still hasn't gone away.  If you want to be pissed at someone, be pissed at Axl.  He's allowed this to happen.

the name issue is beating a fucking dead horse.   we should all know by now that Axl kept the GnR name and this isn't going to change.  Theres no use in complaining about it, time to move on.  If you don't like it, don't go to the shows.   No one is making you.   We know what to expect now and we know its not going to change, so I think Tommy Stinson said it best..

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

russtcb wrote:
Jimmy Zig Zag Bobiadis wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

nobody is "starting" with the name thing again becasue the name thing still hasn't gone away.  If you want to be pissed at someone, be pissed at Axl.  He's allowed this to happen.

the name issue is beating a fucking dead horse.   we should all know by now that Axl kept the GnR name and this isn't going to change.  Theres no use in complaining about it, time to move on.  If you don't like it, don't go to the shows.   No one is making you.   We know what to expect now and we know its not going to change, so I think Tommy Stinson said it best..

I'm kinda in the middle on this. I'm totally ok with considering the newer members to be the "real" Guns N' Roses but I can totally understand why some people aren't will never be. I just cannot imagine why it has to make it's way to virtually every thread.

oh I understand that some people will never be cool with the situation.   I don't expect them to be.  but I dont see why they are still making an issue of it all these years later.   Its like the guy who spends years and years dwelling over his lost love who has moved on years ago.    Everyone who was involved with GnR at some point and is no longer in the band has seemingly moved on, with the exception of Steven Adler.   So I dont expect everyone to like the situation or be cool with it, but theres no need to make an issue of it anymore in threads for those of us that do love the band still.

There are so many threads I want to quote so I'll just post one big post.

I find those that haven't gone to the concerts complain about them alot more then those that have.  With that said, I can understand wanting new songs to be played and it's real easy to say typing it on here and even I have said it but when I am there, it doesn't matter that they played the same shit each time I saw them.   However I did see them play TWAT and IUTLH.

The name issue is a dead issue, it's an over used arguement and one that will never be resolved ever in the minds of all the members of these boards.  The band is no more and I have to agree with JB it's time to really squash that topic because it is what it is and even tho they play older GNR tunes they have every right to just as VR is, the only difference is VR chooses not to play as many but they do play STP tunes and no one says hey they play STP covers.   I wouldn't think that Scott would consider an STP song a cover even tho he is the only person from STP in VR nor do I think Slash, Duff and Matt consider GNR songs covers.

I have a feeling if Axl played mostly new songs and hardly any GNR songs it'd be the reverse arguement.   I say take it for what it is and thank god they are even out there or we would really be hearing crickets on these boards now, honestly, I don't think these boards would have survived this long had Axl not have appeared out of the darkness in 2006.

EDIT* Whether or not the members of GNR not from the original band like or dislike playing older GNR tunes is irrelivent because they are in GNR and those songs are GNR.   If they hated it so much, they'd leave.

NY Giants82
 Rep: 26 

NY Giants82 wrote:

They need an album out bad, but I'd go see them with or without new material. I love GNR too much to miss a show I have an opportunity at. But everyone's not like me.

sic.
 Rep: 150 

sic. wrote:

Figured I'd throw in my $0.02.

Jimmy Zig Zag Bobiadis wrote:

what all you people who complain about this band touring as Guns N' Roses and not releasing the album, there is one thing you dont' understand.  These shows (at least the ones I was at) are all a POSITIVE experience for the majority of people who are actually there.

Well, I saw in the summer of 2006 and up to a degree I do understand where you're coming from. Even without their two technically most prominent players, they're still a heck of a live band. It's obvious they how to play, they like to play - and like to doing it together. Therefore, they're a professional live band in my book.

But that's just the problem.

I seriously liked the opportunity of finally seeing the band live, but their performance didn't help the fact that I'd really like to have an album featuring these guys (+Brain & Bucket) backing Axl. I know that the GNR as we knew it back in 1987, 1991 or even 1993 doesn't exist anymore, but I can't help having a hard time seeing these guys as a proper continuation of the legacy without an album. If they'd have an album, good, bad, or lukewarm, I'd recognize them as musicians writing and releasing music under the GNR name, which would automatically make them the next phase in the band's history in my book. But without an album, they don't have anything tangible to link themselves to the GNR name in the eyes of anyone outside the hardcore fanbase. If Joe Q Public walks into a music store, all GNR-related material he can still get features people who've been out of the band for a decade or more.

I like this band, and I'd like it to have an identity as GNR. I'm not talking about Finck or Tommy claiming a Slash-like status of recognizability; plainly having an albums worth of officially released music for mass consumption would be a good start, as then people would have to live with the fact that they are GNR now, regardless of whether they'd feel like it. At the moment however, they're unfortunately identified as Axl's backing band that never does/gets much press, as the main attraction is the frontman. The fact that they play mostly material done before their time doesn't help in this particular matter.

That's why I'd resent the idea of the band touring without an album. I'd like to see them stand on their own feet as musicians, as a group, instead of relying on songs written twenty years ago. This is the reason why it was frustrating to me to see them tour another year without an album, with no more new songs than the last I saw them. While I appreciate the fact that Axl can never outrun the memory of AFD, it's not the album I'd like to remember this current band by.

They're always fun to see, but they're better than just some guys that Axl needs to play Out Ta Get Me for the umpteenth time. I'm sure a lot of people would come to terms with this if only the album would come out.

Sky Dog wrote:

Agree 100% Sic.:butt: I still believe he should have never unveiled the new band until he had an album on the shelves.

Board footer