You are not logged in. Please register or login.

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

Re: Security Guard at Nirvana show bitch slaps Kurt Cobain

PaSnow wrote:

Nevermind. Thanks for posting this Bono. I've comes to love what this moment in time captures.  Grunge was coming, and the world was about to change. And there was nothing this old fart with his mullet & Mr Big cassette tape in his 87 IROC could do to stop it.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

Nahhh dude. Watch from :50-:53, he's pulling on him & his hair. The bouncer in white wasn't that aggressive. He wasn't "doing his job". His job isn't to beat up the singer, nor was it his job to punch Cobain at 1:00.  That's hiding behind an excuse. He's a dolt. Plain & simple.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

you guys are too engrossed with the guitar to the head part...watch why Cobain hit him, anyway i'm 100% behind pas on this one....the hatred for cobain is another one of those things i never understood with gnr fans...cuz axl burned a nirvana hat doesnt mean that his fans have to hate them too

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I don't hate Cobain. I love's me some Nirvana. I loved them before Axl disliked Cobain and I still love them. Axl Rose doesn't dictate my likes and dislikes. I think it's wrong for any artist to hit their own security. Period.

This ^ 

I don't base my opinions on all things Axl. I don't sit there and think gee how does my opinion on Axl or Gn'R reflect my opinion on such and such a  matter. Fuck that. This has NOTHING to do with Guns N' Roses. Some of you seem to think those of us shaking our heads at Cobain are doing so based soley on the fact we're Guns N' Roses fans. Ummmm.... I for one think Axl's a fucking dick so my feelings towards Axl don't have any baring on my feelings towards Kurt Cobain.  Really? That's what some of you think?

I don't hate Cobain. I think he's over rated but I never hated him. I've never really called him a  bitch ever before this. I see it as though the security guy was trying to get him back to the stage, not wanting him to fall. If you guys honestly think the security guard set out to fight and purposly hit Cobain you're insane.  A guy hits you intentionally with a guitar you kick his ass.

Didn't mean to be an ass PaSnow but I don't see how I'm in the wrong forum to discuss this.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

Sorry to be a nutswinger but my recollection is that Axl actually liked nirvana, not hated them. He even wore caps and stuff of theirs. The issue is that Kurt hated Axl and GNR as he saw them as standing for bloated corporate rock (a major miscaluculation in my view) not the other way around, and the anti-nirvana stuff from GNR really only happened once Kurt started fucking with them first. I'm not denying there were incidents, but on this issue I strongly feel GNR didn't "start it".

But I do hate how some GNR fans disrespect Kurt and feel the need to hate Nirvana because of the GNR/Nirvana fued. It's pretty obvious kurt was a talented guy, and nirvana is a good an important band.

I am a fan of both bands.

But the fued has nothing to do with my opinion on this issue. Bottom line to me is that Kurt used excessive force hitting the guy with a guitar, and that the bouncer was lacking in judgment when he decided to respond in kind. BOTH of them are not really acting in the best manner in this video, but that's life, people make snap judgments and they arn't always the best. I think analysing it from a grunge vs rock perspective is making more of it than it is. It's two guys who got carried away one night. and you can love whatever genre of music and recgonise behaviour in a video as unprofessional or too excessive.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

again you guys need to look before the guy get a guitar in the head

dude used excessive force BEFORE he was hit in the head...in fact the reefing on kurts arm and hair when he jumped in the crowd and knocked buddy off balance was why he got smacked in the first place

i'm not condoning kurts actions either but i am saying that he wasnt the one to start that incident...

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

smoke
 Rep: 77 

smoke wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

Sorry to be a nutswinger but my recollection is that Axl actually liked nirvana, not hated them. He even wore caps and stuff of theirs. The issue is that Kurt hated Axl and GNR as he saw them as standing for bloated corporate rock (a major miscaluculation in my view) not the other way around

I'm a fan of both bands, too. I always thought Kurt's early snub of GnR was a shame, and sincerely wish he'd stayed around long enough to rethink his stance.  I think he would have mellowed a bit had he stayed around.

That said, one of the problems I used to have with Cobain was his snobby belief that he was somehow keeping it real while bands like GnR were sellouts or something. I mean, look at the "rock n roll checklist": hugely popular band, addicted to heavy drugs, enjoyed wrecking their own equipment on stage- even, sadly, a way-too-early death.  Nirvana ended up being pretty much stereotypical in so many ways.  This doesn't detract from the fact that they ushered in a new genre of rock, and deserve to be recognized and remembered for it.

As I get older, I start to be more forgiving of the stupid things we say and do when we're young.  I remember scorning things that I thought were too "mainstream."  I wonder sometimes, if Kurt could have just gotten past that stage- of caring about being in the world while somehow standing completely apart from it (an impossible ideal), if he could have forgiven himself his own success.  Maybe he'd be alive today.  Extremely sad.

Board footer