You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: Just listened to Chinese Democracy again...

James wrote:

You guys bring up good points. Ron doesn't suck on the record, he just either wasn't needed on certain tracks, and should have been lowered in the mix on the songs he did help improve. I love the demo of the title track, but he definitely improved it. While improving it though, he drowns out other instruments. Listen to the demo and then immediately listen to the album version. Even that cool shit Pitman is doing is buried.

On IRS there is this groovy bass for a few seconds 3:24-3:30(obviously intensified by Pitman's sub bass work), but on the album it's barely audible due to noodling.

The CITR outro is ruined by the guitar too high in the mix.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:

Since the situation is that we got the demos and the finished CD, us hardcore fans will allways have different opinions/taste as to what should have been deleted or not...

Even though I like the finnished CD over the demos. There are two things that comes to mind that I liked about the demos:

- The dobbel snaredrum hit on the verses on ChiDem

- The slightly altered lyrics on one (or more) chorus on Better

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I still don't get the love for Frank's drumming on CD.
Brain's awesome kick drum work on the demo sounds killer, and helps groove the song along so much more. With Frank it's like it's dumbed down for the masses or something.
I still find myself air-drumming along to Brain's playing even when listening to the Frank version.

And Ron's missing riff during the verses on the CD demo actually gives the guitars more kick when they do come in. I like the verses with just Axl's vocals, drums and bass playing.

Has anyone got a copy of The Blues demo I can check out, that is supposedly better than the album version? I don't think I ever heard this.

Gagarin
 Rep: 50 

Gagarin wrote:

metallex78: I'm not sure The Blues demo was much different than what we got, I think people were talking about The Blues as performed live in 2001 and 2002. It was a bit more upbeat, started with guitar earlier, especially at Rio in 2001.

Sky Dog wrote:

skwerl leaks still floating around?

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

I still remember listening to This I Love for the first time and hearing Robin's horrendous guitar solo. I was like, "damn, that sounds like me playing guitar on a bad day..."

But over time, and repeated listens, I think Robin's sloppy styled solo really suits the song, as there's almost a desperation in his playing that matches what Axl is singing about.
I really like the solo now and couldn't imagine the song with anything else in there.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:
Naltav wrote:

The dobbel snaredrum hit on the verses on ChiDem

are we the only two that noticed that? I have been saying this for years. that original drum beat was killer and the final version of cd would have been even more killer with the original drums.

as far as catcher I don't think Axl doesn't realize that Brian May was epic on the track - question is was it money or him wanting his new guitarist on the album that made him sacrafice the song's integrity.

Naltav
 Rep: 70 

Naltav wrote:
war wrote:
Naltav wrote:

The dobbel snaredrum hit on the verses on ChiDem

are we the only two that noticed that? I have been saying this for years. that original drum beat was killer and the final version of cd would have been even more killer with the original drums.

Well, don't know about you but I play drums on a very "amateur-I-think-I'm-a-badass-drummer-when-playing-along-to-gnr-on-my-headphones" kinda level.... And I notice simple little unimportant stuff like that!  16

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

never been a drummer so i tend to follow guitars, bass and vocals on any given day...drums and orchestra generally take a back seat unfortunately, cant help it i'm not inclined to pay attention to that side of things

I like the robin TIL solo for the most part, at some point i think he loses it, but he does a great job for most of it

Board footer