You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bucketfan
 Rep: 30 

Re: Buckethead Signature Les Paul Review

bucketfan wrote:

First of all I'd like to thank Axl Rose for introducing Bucket to Les Paul's.  Without him, this guitar would never have existed.

Finally after nearly a 6 month wait I picked up my Buckethead signature yesterday. Due to a major stuff up regarding customs, it's been sitting in a brokers warehouse for the last 7 days.

Within 5 minutes of unpacking the guitar I broke the high E string and my locking tuner jammed >:( All fixed now, but that was the last thing I needed after waiting 6 months lol.

The first thing I've noticed is that the 27" scale is perfectly fine, and I don't have huge hands. If no one told me it was a larger scale and larger body I don't think I would have noticed the difference. That said, because of the higher tension strings it just feels easier to play than a standard scale for some reason. Going back to my Ibanez RG J Custom the strings feel like spaghetti. I prefer the feel of this Les Paul a lot more.

Acoustically, the tone is amazing - the guitar resonates big time. I can even hear elements of Bucket's tone without plugging it in.

From what I can tell, the fit and finish is very good to excellent, certainly much better than I was expecting.

The intonation was out on 5 out of the 6 strings, but because it's a 24fret guitar setting the intonation was a snap. (check note at 24th fret, if flat shorten the string, if sharp lengthen the string)

I'm loving the blank fretboard, I've wanted one for years and it's just as good as I imagined.

P4300074.jpg

P4300068.jpg

Size comparison with an Ibanez RG;
P4300073.jpg

Merlin approves;
P4300070.jpg

The tone has a sweetness unlike any Les Paul's (or any electric guitar) I've played before. This is no doubt due to the 27" scale, you can really feel and hear the extra attack of the notes when you pick a string. The notes just seem to jump off the fretboard. I need to buy a new amp to do this guitar justice, the POD X3 and my practice amp are not worthy!

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

dr_love6977
 Rep: 38 

dr_love6977 wrote:

That thing's a monster!

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Nice guitar, congrats on the purchase!

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

bigbri wrote:

Dude, I am so jealous. Congrats man.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I second that jealousy. Sweet man, i'd love to get my hands on one of those.

You need to hand it off to monkeychow, and see if he can duplicate Bucket's tone on that shredding ability of his. 16

Board footer