You are not logged in. Please register or login.

James
 Rep: 664 

Re: SPIN's Where Are They Now?: Justine Frischmann

James wrote:

20qi93a.jpg

THEN: Lead singer, guitarist, 1992'“2001
NOW: Abstract painter, 40, San Rafael, CA

Justine Frischmann founded the foppish British pop outfit Suede with then-boyfriend Brett Anderson; started her own band, Elastica, whose jittery self-titled 1995 album became the fastest-selling British debut in history; and dumped Anderson for Blur frontman Damon Albarn, unwittingly becoming the king and queen of a surging Britpop scene.

Elastica hobbled along through the second half of the '90s, crippled by infighting and some apparently serious drug problems, and managed just one more album, 2000's solid if less world-beating The Menace, before calling it quits.

Later, Frischmann worked with her friend Maya Arulpragasam, who'd done the cover art for The Menace, on the latter's debut as M.I.A., Arular, and hosted an architecture series for BBC television.

By 2005, she decided she needed a more substantial change. "I wanted out of England," she says. "When Elastica was touring, I fell in love with America.

Now relocated to the Bay Area, she lives with her husband, a professor of atmospheric science at University of California-Davis, and makes what she describes as "a combination of expressionistic and modern" art. She's had one solo show so far and admits that, despite getting occasional interest in her work because of Elastica, she has no plans to return to music or public life.

"That's the great thing about anonymity," she says. "You have the freedom to reinvent yourself."

------------------------------

She resurfaces to tell people not to expect anything. 14

Its always been frustrating being a fan of hers.

Board footer