You are not logged in. Please register or login.

bigbri
 Rep: 341 

Re: Chinese Democracy.... Starts Now?

bigbri wrote:

A couple years ago, this board would have been jumping with news like this. Shows you how jaded/uninterested we are.

Acekicken
 Rep: 12 

Acekicken wrote:

Chinese Democracy. When the new G'n'R is finally released this spring, fans will be treated to an inspired guest performance by Bach.

http://www.hipvideopromo.com/clients/sebastian_bach.php

Looks like it may come out this spring but I
will believe it when I can buy it... 22

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

After spending so much money on the album the label has two choices in today's music industry.

1. Spend a shitload in advertising and promotion to get mediocre sales.
2. Do little to no promotion and get mediocre sales.

Albums don't sell anymore.  Plain and simple.  They'll certainly never get back what was put into production.  I mean $13 million.  If the label makes $2 profit on every unit sold, they need the record to sell at least 6.5 million copies.  If they pump $2 million into an advertising campaign, that's even more money that will never be realized.  On top of everything, the album still needs to be pressed and mass produced, then delivered to record stores.  I have no idea how much a production run would cost, but I would imagine it's not cheap.  Including all overhead charges the album may need to sell 8 million copies just to break even.  That's not including promotion.  From a financial perspective, it's probably in the label's best interest to not even bother releasing the album.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

excelent point backslash

i think the most likely thing that will happen is that they will release it let it sell then promote it later...after some money has been made off it.

in this case maybe that is a sticking point, Axl wants it marketed before release and geffen wants to wait until the 2nd single before promoting it

that i "could" see...possibly

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

But I think you underestimate GN'R's worldwide appeal. While attaining those numbers may be a thing of the past for domestic sales, they stand every chance to break even worldwide and I think turn a profit. Consider  the $13 million plus advertising an investment in re-establishing the label's most prominent catalogue band. I still believe the theory that more than one album of material has been recorded and is ready to go. Even if you don't split the $13 million into three and you just look at it as re-establishing this legendary, mythic band (or figure, being Axl Rose) in the public consciousness, there's more than $13 million to be made from touring off that hype of the album actually being released. You're all putting way too much into a number like $13 million being a financially crippling thing for a label like Geffen, and it's simply not the case. There's a bigger picture here.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

Neemo wrote:
JonathanvonDoom wrote:

I've believed this "rumor" from the start, I don't see what's so hard to grasp. It doesn't mean we're any closer to getting the album.

cuz why sould axl care how its marketed? i mean they have professionals to market shit...if axl is after anythign i would imagine its a revised contract, managment issues or control of catalogue (so they cant issue another GH

ultimately who gives a crap about 2 weeks of marketing? there is bigger fish to fry

Marketing is actually a big thing to worry about. Anyone that is a NIN fan can see how much TR has obsessed with marketing since With Teeth came out in 05. And to me, Trent and Axl are very similar. It would've surprise me if the label said their plan was 'free ringtones, remixes from rap artists and dance/techno people for clubs, and 3 or different 'versions' to sell like CB (04) or Zeitgeist (07) to trap fans'. And it also wouldn't surprise me if Axl hated all those ideas. If he truly believes in Chinese Democracy as an entity, an album, complete, these suggestions would be appalling.

On the other hand, 'Better' was in the Harley-Davidson ad. Axl must have signed off on that.

AtariLegend wrote:
Backslash wrote:

After spending so much money on the album the label has two choices in today's music industry.

1. Spend a shitload in advertising and promotion to get mediocre sales.
2. Do little to no promotion and get mediocre sales.

Albums don't sell anymore.  Plain and simple.  They'll certainly never get back what was put into production.  I mean $13 million.  If the label makes $2 profit on every unit sold, they need the record to sell at least 6.5 million copies.  If they pump $2 million into an advertising campaign, that's even more money that will never be realized.  On top of everything, the album still needs to be pressed and mass produced, then delivered to record stores.  I have no idea how much a production run would cost, but I would imagine it's not cheap.  Including all overhead charges the album may need to sell 8 million copies just to break even.  That's not including promotion.  From a financial perspective, it's probably in the label's best interest to not even bother releasing the album.

Two or three years ago, a Linkin Park album sold 10 million copies alone in the US...

It didn't sell much else, but it shows that if theres enough interest in something, then it isn't all doom and gloom...

Park may not be everyones taste, but there like Legends to the late 90s + Emo generation...

Neemo wrote:

ultimately who gives a crap about 2 weeks of marketing? there is bigger fish to fry

UYI videos...

bigbri wrote:

A couple years ago, this board would have been jumping with news like this. Shows you how jaded/uninterested we are.

Really how many threads have got this many hits/replies in the past few weeks within 2 hours, except the Britney Spears thread.

Von
 Rep: 77 

Von wrote:

Man, I don't really dig Linkin Park but are we throwing around the "emo" label that blindly now? 16

Backslash
 Rep: 80 

Backslash wrote:

i checked HTGTH for discussion on this and Jarmo brought up a valid point (which leads me to believe there's possibly something to this rumour)... Who pays for it all? 

On one hand, labels want to promote without spending money (which doesn't work) as there's little to no chance to turn a profit in the record industry.  Artists, on the other hand, want as much money alloted to them as possible, so that they can get their names out there and be successful.  While the end result may be increased record sales, it could also decrease profit significantly.

In the end, the best way to promote the album is through free media.  Allow magazines and newspapers to write reviews, make television appearances (late night TV, anyone?), and get the name out there that way.  Like it or not, Slash has done more free promotion for this band than anyone by making appearances at geek conventions and appearing in video games.  As mentioned above, the only way to get people to buy this album is to shove it down the public's throat.  That's done through free promotion using the media, not billboard ads or TV commercials.

AtariLegend wrote:
Backslash wrote:

Slash has done more free promotion for this band than anyone by making appearances at geek conventions and appearing in video games.

Doesn't really make him look better...

Board footer