You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Aussie
 Rep: 286 

Re: what does Axl/GNR have to, to regain your interest 100%

Aussie wrote:

Well I saw GNR for the first time in 2007 (I wasn't lucky enough to see them in 1988 or 1993 when they previously came to Oz).  Finally I got to see Axl live, I caught the show in my town and flew east to catch 2 more shows.

Now I am more excited about flying to Sydney to see Slash in a couple of weeks (having also never seen him play live before).

Once that is done I won't be going out of my way to see either of them again unless they are playing in my town at a reasonable price.  I certainly wouldn't fork out $$'s to travel anywhere again to see them unless they were onstage together (i.e. reunion)!  If that occured then I would certainly shell out big $$'s to try and get to see them.

I will continue to listen to the music from both of them and follow their careers. but I can honestly say that I do so with nowhere near the same level of interest as before.  I just don't feel there is any magic left for me.  The only thing that could get me 100% interested again is the obvious.  But even then for it to hold my interest it would have to be more than a one off cash grab tour.  If they had Izzy and genuienly wanted to write and release another album then I would be 100% on board.

Once I see Slash play in a couple of weeks I will have seen both of them live so that curiosity factor will be gone for me.  Going forward I will still wonder what new music each can produce.  Obviously we have heard the music that each produce since they parted ways and there is stuff I really like from both of them.  But it's not the same and never will be.  Even if they were together again it probably wouldn't be - but I would love to see them try.  That is the only "X factor" left for me that could really pique my interest again.

buzzsaw
 Rep: 423 

buzzsaw wrote:
russtcb wrote:

I can see how people would feel that way but I obviously disagree. The show I saw in 02 and the two I saw in 06 were awesome (to me).

Well, to be fair I'm including the end of the UYI era too. 

I know you don't think the '02 and '06 era was, but I don't see how guys going out and playing music they had nothing to do with for a paycheck can be anything other than going through the motions. 

Well, I guess I could see a garage band doing it and enjoying it, but hard to picture from guys at that level.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I think there's kind of a few seperate issues in this thread. There is comitment level and interest to the band, and then there is our personal "wish lists" of what we'd love to have happen.

I have my personal list of dreams. Like most who grew up in the AFD era,  I'm sure if emotionally they could reconnect then a reunion would still bring us some killer new tunes. But i'd want it to be for heart not dollars, and that doesn't seem possible at the monent. And it's not because I dislike the new band, rather it's just I think Axl and Slash had a chemestry that's unique to history, and while they live it seems sad that it has to end. Meanwhile, I dig the new band a ton too,  I loved Chinese Democracy, and I'd love to hear Chinese 2...very very much. I'm sure it will have some great tracks!
I think the real thing that would encourage most people in this thread is if the timelines were shorter, like between albums, tours and so on. But that's just us wanting stuff, and of course fans are always going to want more and more no mater what we get.

So my wish list aside, I think my comitment level is 100% to be honest. I mean we all post here all the time. I know I'll definately purchase any GNR album, DVD and so on. And I'll definately go to any GNR related show regardless of line up and so on. I'm traveling to a different city twice this year, once for the slash show, and once for new guns. So i guess that sums me up - I love it all, and while I always want more, I'm pretty happy that stuff is going on at the moment.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

I don't understand when people say they have no interest in a reunion with the old band just "going through the motions". What the fuck is this new band doing if not going through the motions? Original Gn'R going through the motions fucking trumps new era Gn'R doing the same. To suggest this new band is making strides and doing anything other than going through the motions while living off what the old band accomplished is pretty blind. Playing a  handful of shows mainly showcasing original Gn'R material every four years is not doing anything spectacular. hell Motley Crue goes through less motions than this era of Gn'R. Anyone can gather a  bunch of musicans and play some cover tuens how is that impressive?  This era of Guns N' Roses is the epitomy of a band going through the motions.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

He should adopt one of these imo

V_3305_348_1051011061.jpg

emcitymisfit
 Rep: 28 

emcitymisfit wrote:

play the motherfucking US. and not for a bunch of leathery skinned biker skanks, either.

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Maybe "going through the motions" is the wrong way to describe it.  But the fact that its pretty apparent that Axl HATES Slash, it would be kind of hard to imagine them onstage together.  As far as we know Axl doesn't hate anyone in GNR currently.  Stay tuned on that one.

If they could somehow make amends, kiss and make up.  Then I'd be down.  But I don't know how I'd feel about it if it was so obviously forced.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Yeah i watched a high quality boot from P Rico and band just seems kinda dead... axl gives it his best rest of the band look like furniture with instruments.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:
James Lofton wrote:

Blows my mind that any teens ever followed this mess. There was never any band to follow and they never got an actual identity. Fuck, its 2010 and we still haven't seen an official band photo that doesn't have Slash in it.

I guess those whippersnappers were just cruising for a bruising...

Yeah I waited for Chinese Democracy from 9th grade until my second year of college. hmm. I liked the pain I guess hahaha

And to answer the question, nothing they could do could "get me" 100%. My musical taste has changed and expanded and I doubt these old guys could put anything together even half as cool as UYI1&2, let alone as "complete" as their debut. And being honest with myself, a new album from the reunion would probably just sound like a half baked Appetite For Destruction. I doubt they would put much effort into it at all and it would be mostly a live thing.. which I don't care for.

-Jack-
 Rep: 39 

-Jack- wrote:

Would be more interested in an Axl produced solo record where he doesn't sing in most of the songs tbh.

Board footer