You are not logged in. Please register or login.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

Re: Revenge of the Nerds: Geeky Writers Ruin Prom Night for the Cool Kids

RussTCB wrote:

removed

PaSnow
 Rep: 205 

PaSnow wrote:

I don't understand this strike at all. At first I was for it, because they are supposedly holding out for wages from earnings off web rebroadcasts. Who knows what the future of TV is, possibly HDTV computer monitors & downloading shows. With that said, they have to look ahead, and take an example of the Gilligans Island cast who sadly didn't forsee syndication rights and lost millions as a result. But recently I heard the Union has now lost more in lost wages (due to striking & not working) than they were originally holding out for. Now, recent studies shows there has been very little dropoff of overall TV watching, even with broadcast reruns. Even among the 13-25 agegroup, which were predicted to drop the remote and go online. I wonder if writers were hoping they had a future in web produced series (currently there's a show "Quarterlife" among others online, but with promotion from Myspace and Youtube, it failed to gain a significant increase in views) and hoped the networks would either pay them more, or begin to also produce direct to web shows, but with the lack of increase in online viewing, it could be a failed venture. Either way as more time goes on, I'm not really sure who, if any are becoming the winners in this strike. I think the only think helping the writers are big events like these (Globes, Oscars, Emmy's etc) and the fact that (from what I read somewhere) the actors & Directors Unions are up for negotiation this summer & will likely hold out for the same thing as the writers.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

writers also arent getting any revenuue from the dvd releases of every show on television thats a big thing right now

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
PaSnow wrote:

I don't understand this strike at all. At first I was for it, because they are supposedly holding out for wages from earnings off web rebroadcasts. Who knows what the future of TV is, possibly HDTV computer monitors & downloading shows. With that said, they have to look ahead, and take an example of the Gilligans Island cast who sadly didn't forsee syndication rights and lost millions as a result. But recently I heard the Union has now lost more in lost wages (due to striking & not working) than they were originally holding out for. Now, recent studies shows there has been very little dropoff of overall TV watching, even with broadcast reruns. Even among the 13-25 agegroup, which were predicted to drop the remote and go online. I wonder if writers were hoping they had a future in web produced series (currently there's a show "Quarterlife" among others online, but with promotion from Myspace and Youtube, it failed to gain a significant increase in views) and hoped the networks would either pay them more, or begin to also produce direct to web shows, but with the lack of increase in online viewing, it could be a failed venture. Either way as more time goes on, I'm not really sure who, if any are becoming the winners in this strike. I think the only think helping the writers are big events like these (Globes, Oscars, Emmy's etc) and the fact that (from what I read somewhere) the actors & Directors Unions are up for negotiation this summer & will likely hold out for the same thing as the writers.

Its a fucked up situation. While I do support the writers in this cluster fuck, at the same time I don't think Hollywood should give in. Its just greed fueling this strike. Its a case of everyone making money but they want more.

If the actors go on strike, Hollywood will never be the same again. The actors better think long and hard about making that decision. Hollywood will go to foreign countries and hire their talent to make movies, and when foreign films mass marketed to the american people get released, the quality goes up dramatically and the public isn't going to want to go back to the turds Hollywood has been making for years. We could literally see a "changing of the guard" where actors/actresses from Korea, Japan, China, France,etc. become the new stars here.

Communist China
 Rep: 130 

The writers deserve more than what they get, but that union is annoying. I really wonder how many writers in the strike just want it to be over and go back to work, regardless of changes...

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer