You are not logged in. Please register or login.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

Re: what does Axl/GNR have to, to regain your interest 100%

misterID wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Umm... incorrect. Actually Gilmour & Hagar are perfect examples. Final Cut was the last album to feature Waters, and it received mixed reviews, and modest album sales. A Momentary Lapse of Reason, the first album with Gilmour at the helm, crushed Final Cut's success in both album sales and tour numbers.

They were more successful post-Waters, at least initially, going on the last three albums of the band, Cut (where Waters as going), and Reason & Division Bell (where Gilmour was going).

But both Roger & Dave have admitted that the last three Floyd albums were "solo" works.

No, nothing Gilmour did post Waters in PF ever came close to the music Waters made. If you have to use how many albums sold to measure which is better, then more power to you. MLOR and DB are nowhere near the masterpieces WYWH, DSOTM and The Wall were. Not. Even. Close.

To clarify, I was going to add in my previous post, "despite the chart success for MLOR and DB they were disappointments." I didn't think I had to, but I forgot how important chart success is to an album being good. roll

And I meant MLOR instead of The Final Cut before... But since its the album Roger left after and they didn't tour the album, I think its kind of disengenuous to say how the post Waters Floyd blew TFC out of the water touring and chart wise, when the album was a success and there was no tour for it.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

A big difference with Pink Floyd and GNR is the members of Floyd were all very well educated and highly intelligent, I reckon their internal dealings would have been been a lot more high brow and structured.

AtariLegend wrote:

"The Final Cut" is actually alot more respected these days, retrospective reviews of it hold it very highly.

The singles were good in Gilmour era... i.e "High Hopes", but none of it holds up on a whole as an album like "The Final Cut", which was pretty much made with "The Wall", it's a non commercial nothing held back version of it.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

^^ Yup

Olorin wrote:

A big difference with Pink Floyd and GNR is the members of Floyd were all very well educated and highly intelligent, I reckon their internal dealings would have been been a lot more high brow and structured.

It was actually a lot, lot worse than GNR... A LOT worse. And there was nothing high brow about it. Even to the point of adding a huge ball sack to the flying pig they used in concerts, because Waters didn't want them using his flying pig idea.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:

Yeah but the business side of it would have different. Someone like Dave Gilmour would have had much more capabilities than just being a great guitarist/singer, enabling him to eventually take over Pink Floyd, than what a Gilby Clarke type chap would have.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Sky Dog wrote:

Live at Pompeii is incredible...and there are some classic Spinal Tap type moments in there.

Sky Dog wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2h9DxJ8I … re=related

very good interviews that will show you everyone's personality in a nutshell

Rockrecord
 Rep: 0 

Rockrecord wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Bigbri nailed it.. Nice attempt D, but we all know where this will go...  Of course Russ will disagree, but other than Russ, its Reunite or bust. 

If Slash's solo band wasn't so kick ass, the reunion thing wouldn't be as big right now, but they do kick ass, and that mashup of Slither and If the World only make us want to hear Slash and Axl even more...

I think almost everybody wants a reunion, but there have been so many versions of this band at this point, could we even come to a majority agreement on which lineup?  If we put up a poll for every lineup of the band and you could only vote for one, would any lineup get 50%?  AFD, UYI I (Izzy and Matt), UYI II (Gilby and Matt), and how many different CD versions.  And there's always the one or two crazy people voting for poor Ole.

Im not so sure about that.  The appetite line up is all that matters

elevendayempire
 Rep: 96 

Rockrecord wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Bigbri nailed it.. Nice attempt D, but we all know where this will go...  Of course Russ will disagree, but other than Russ, its Reunite or bust. 

If Slash's solo band wasn't so kick ass, the reunion thing wouldn't be as big right now, but they do kick ass, and that mashup of Slither and If the World only make us want to hear Slash and Axl even more...

I think almost everybody wants a reunion, but there have been so many versions of this band at this point, could we even come to a majority agreement on which lineup?  If we put up a poll for every lineup of the band and you could only vote for one, would any lineup get 50%?  AFD, UYI I (Izzy and Matt), UYI II (Gilby and Matt), and how many different CD versions.  And there's always the one or two crazy people voting for poor Ole.

Im not so sure about that.  The appetite line up is all that matters

Nah, like I've said before, the only two people who matter, as far as selling tickets and connecting with the general public and the media are concerned, are Axl and Slash; they're the iconic members of the band. People believe the original line-up of GN'R broke up in 1996, because that's when Slash left, even though Duff was still in the band and even though Izzy, Gilby and Matt had left long before.

Ironic, really, that they're the only two people in the band who hate each other's guts. Axl gets on perfectly well with Duff, Steven, Matt and Izzy. But he could team up with all of them and the idiot public would still go, "Eh, it isn't GN'R without Slash." Even though Izzy wrote the fucking songs, his departure wasn't viewed as being as important as Slash's.

Conversely, Axl could go on tour with his current band and sub in Slash for any one of the guitarists, and the idiot public and press would be going, "Wahey, Guns N' Roses reunion!"

In conclusion, people are idiots.

Board footer