You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Re: Alice's take on Axl

Scabbie wrote:

Interesting listening to Alice Cooper's take on Axl @ Planet Rock, referring to the late appearance Reading Festival. He said it wasn't as if they didn't know about the curfew, so why just let everybody down. The late starts are predictable, so not that 'rock n' roll'.

After years of defending Axl (and he still goes onto say he's a great singer and show man) he just thinks his hearts not in it. But rather than just give up he'd prefer to be unhappy and let the world watch him self - destruct. Quote Alice

'If you don't wanna make an album - don't!'

'If you don't want to play onstage - don't!'

I tend to agree, although I imagine with Axl one day he's on a high and thinking about multiple albums, videos and worldwide tours, the next he's on the verge of giving it all up (i.e. self-destruct mode).

Axl was also featured in the london metro yesterday, although the article wasn't particularly complimentary had a picture of him in a dustbin.

Now is the time to release some more music Axl - show them you mean business!

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Axl was also featured in the london metro yesterday, although the article wasn't particularly complimentary had a picture of him in a dustbin.

Coincidentally, that is also where I throw London Metro when I've read it. 16:haha:

gnfnraxl
 Rep: 43 

gnfnraxl wrote:

I gotta agree with Alice here.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

As always Coop has came in and shown us all the way.

Axl seems so bored right now.

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Yeah, he seems bored. He never speaks anymore. Just shows up, act all politcally correct with his "having a good evening?" and nothing more. That is, until someone fucks with his latecomings, then he goes mad. He sings good though.

Scabbie
 Rep: 33 

Scabbie wrote:

Funny everyone round him seems to be having a blast.

war
 Rep: 108 

war wrote:

i still get the sense that, if this is it and there is nothing on the horizon, it would be easier to call it quits.

giving axl the benefit of the doubt that he is not still doing guns just to spite slash and co. for leaving.....

no new music, no good press, trouble selling out shows, turmoil sorrounding you.....either he loves to perform after all, is broke, or still plans on doing good and new things.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

I tend to agree, although I imagine with Axl one day he's on a high and thinking about multiple albums, videos and worldwide tours, the next he's on the verge of giving it all up (i.e. self-destruct mode).

Normally I think quoting lyrics is a mistake as GNR songs are complex and from all different view points and so on, but Scraped is really quite telling:

Sometimes I feel like The world is on top of me, Breakin' me down with an endless monotony; Sometimes I feel like there's nothing that's stopping me, all things are possible, I am unstoppable.

Sometimes I feel like My life's a catastrophe, Can't understand why
It seems like it has to be, Sometimes I feel like it's all opened up for me, Nothing's impossible, I am inconquerable.

I know I can really relate to the passages.

I make music as a hobby, which obviously is a million worlds away from someone like Axl who is a professional musician, famous and so on. But even at my level I experience the same kinds of self doubts and their that posion things.....and the alternate highs.

Somedays I feel like my songs are great, and that I can record them properly and other people will like them and so on. And then at other times I think they're no good anyway, and even if they were it's impossible to get them down on tape properly etc....

Anyway, I can only imagine what it must be like being famous. Somedays it might be great, you might want to have fun with thousands of people cheering for you to scream, and go out drinking with buddies after the show. On other days the travel will piss you off, maybe you feel like shit and don't want to be there at all. Problem is, you booked these shows 3 months ahead and you have no way of knowing what mood you'll wake up to on the day.

Acquiesce
 Rep: 30 

Acquiesce wrote:

monkeychow, I think those lyrics from Scraped pretty much sum up what a day in the life of Axl Rose is like. No doubt that was the reason behind all of those false starts over the years.

From a complete outsider's perspective it seems like the issue is that Axl has never been able to move past whatever demons that plague him. It seems like he has never been able to find a place of general contentment with his life. He's like a tortured soul which makes for a great artist but it's painful to watch.

I've always felt that fame was overrated and I imagine it messes with your head when you're someone as insecure as Axl is.

I think Axl would be a lot more productive if he was able to let go of the past and all of the anger that comes with it and find whatever it is that makes him truly happy. But the fact that he is closing in on 50 and hasn't seemed to experience any personal growth makes me doubt he will ever find that place which is quite sad.

Olorin
 Rep: 268 

Olorin wrote:
DCK wrote:

Coincidentally, that is also where I throw London Metro when I've read it. 16:haha:

Dude your supposed to leave it on the seat for the next guy, bad form.

The Metro is not bad actually, especially considering its free, it brightened up many a train journey for me in my college days big_smile

Board footer