You are not logged in. Please register or login.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

Re: Question about the Ritz show...

tejastech08 wrote:

How the hell did they manage to get on MTV at that point for an hour long show? That show was in February 1988, which was a few months before they exploded. Geffen must have had some blackmail on the hotshots at MTV. For you old timers who have insight on this, how did they manage it? Seems like a big time gig for a small time band at that point.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I thought the Jungle video had exploded for MTV by that point?

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I remember reading something or seeing an interview about how it was only played at night but was their most requested video or something like that. Pretty hilarious that it was considered such a hardcore song back then and now it's played at literally every sporting event with tons of families present. 16

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:
tejastech08 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Pretty hilarious that it was considered such a hardcore song back then and now it's played at literally every sporting event with tons of families present. 16

Funni how things like that turn out!  thank mtv and comedy central.

They were openers for Great White was gonna link the thread but cant find it. same manager. MtV agreed to give them both there own slot. Geffen had tons of pull back then im shure that helped.

Jungle came in the back door via Headbangers ball! thats where the requests started.

(insert Xmanager thread link here from a few mnts ago.) Or somone pm me on how to find old threads im still a noob big_smile

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

jamester's on to something. I remember reading something to that effect that Alan Niven managed both bands, and secured GN'R a show on MTV in order to promote them.

MTV actually wanted Great White, not GN'R. And it just worked out for the better because that Ritz '88 show became legend and continue to raise their popularity.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

http://www.bravewords.com/news/146671
WellI I found the interview and put it in its own thread..I was gonna add all the photos and try to find the excerpt about the Ritz shows but i got a headache lookin at it all !  Mabe later big_smile

its an awesome read they talk everything from what hes doin now to kiss, crue, great white, gnr, his relationship w verious band members...it took me 2 days of resizing and coming back to read it last time!

Board footer