You are not logged in. Please register or login.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

Re: Vote Ask MusicRadar: who is the greatest lead singer of all time?

-D- wrote:

Dang, I've never heard that song before. I like it.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
Bono wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Mercury was THE showman imo. If any youngster asked me "what's a rock star?" I'd show them the Wembley 1986 Queen show, and say THAT guy - Freddie Mercury - THAT is a rock star. It's everything it ever was, should be, and ever will be that embodies the role of rock star and rock frontman.

You could show them the Freddie Mercury tribute concert and point to Axl Rose and say the exact same thing. wink

I could also show them that Live Aid '85 performance by Queen, that is LEGEN--DARY! Freddie just has them in the palm of his hands.

Honestly, you're completely right about Axl at the Tribute Show. I wouldn't have felt that way had it been the performances backed by Queen, but earlier when he comes out with Guns, and just takes total control of that Wembley audience like no other artist that night, and I mean NO OTHER artist that night. No one controlled that crowd like Axl.

Few men can do that, very few men. I don't even think Tyler could do it, and Plant didn't do it that night either. I'm thinking Mercury, Rose & Bono.

Bono and U2 at Live Aid 1985. That's THE performance of that show and is what propelled U2 into the stratosphere really and he wasn't even on stage for half of it. Just hanging out with some chick in the crowd 16 I always thought it was strange that U2 weren't involved in that Freddie Tribute 10 On tour maybe?

You're definately right. There's very few who can control a crowd of near 100 000 in the palm of their hand. Tyler doesn't, maybe Plant coudl but I doubt it. I don't even know that Mick Jagger does that. The Stones as whole do but I don't see a crowd hinging on every word jagger says the way they do with a few select others.

A lot of the times I think the allure of a frontman comes down to whether the audience belive they have something to say thats' worth saying.  I think if people believe in the frontman outside the music then he's instantly got ya in the palm of his hand. Most guys don't have that. I mean who really believes in Steven Tyler or Mick Jagger outside of their bands? What do they have to say? I could be wrong but that's kinda how I'm looking at it. Axl's got his lunatic rants that are so uncensored you can't help but be drawn in 16, Bono's got his humanitarian causes or political agendas, whichever you prefer, and I don't know enough about Queen and Freddie but I assume the fans believed him him outside the music as well. He definately has that persona.

I

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
-D- wrote:

Dang, I've never heard that song before. I like it.

Achtung Baby dude. Released in 1991. You just gave me an idea.

-D-
 Rep: 231 

-D- wrote:

Oh God, I hope it isn't somehow Axl 2010 in biker shorts. haha

To be fair, other frontmen can do the 100k in the palm of their hand;

Jon Bon Jovi  hate on him all u like, but he works a crowd
James Hetfield and just Metallica as a whole.
Michael Jackson of course could of course he isn't rock.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Bono wrote:

and I don't know enough about Queen and Freddie but I assume the fans believed him him outside the music as well. He definately has that persona

Freddie was quite different in persona personally than on stage. Although he was definitely believeable, he was a bit more soft-spoken and shy in interviews, of which he gave few.

It was like, there was Freddie Mercury, and there was Farrokh Bulsara, and they were two different people, one the ultimate extroverted showman rock star, and the other one reserved, shy, and a bit reclusive.

Unlike Bono & Axl, of both who seem like they are who they are 24/7.

tejastech08
 Rep: 194 

tejastech08 wrote:
-D- wrote:

Oh God, I hope it isn't somehow Axl 2010 in biker shorts. haha

To be fair, other frontmen can do the 100k in the palm of their hand;

Jon Bon Jovi  hate on him all u like, but he works a crowd
James Hetfield and just Metallica as a whole.
Michael Jackson of course could of course he isn't rock.

Axl is more complicated than that though. Dude definitely has reclusive tendencies and supposedly has a hard time getting himself worked up to go on-stage. I think there is very much a split personality thing with him, maybe even more than two personalities for that matter.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

# John Lennon 3%
# Paul McCartney 2%
# Freddie Mercury 16%
# Jim Morrison 2%
# Morrissey 1%
# Stevie Nicks 0%
# Robert Plant 9%
# Iggy Pop 1%
# Martha Reeves 0%
# Smokey Robinson 0%
# Axl Rose 38%
# Diana Ross 0%
[youtube]Ob5NpdkH5Dw&feature=related[/youtube]

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

^^

All fucking time! 9

Sky Dog wrote:
RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer