You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mitchejw
 Rep: 130 

Re: Guitar question

mitchejw wrote:

Hey guys,

I am a novice guitar player who can strum a decent tune. Today, I opened up my guitar to play (it's been a few weeks) and I tried to play some open chords and noticed that anything played on the 1st fret sounded like it was badly muffled on some of the lower string, but it sounds fine in the b, and high g. There is no reason that I can see for why this would happen.

I am wondering if old strings do this after awhile? These strings are VERY old. Or if the weather changing has done something to my guitar that I don't know about.

Please...any help would be greatly appreciated.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

muffled like buzzing the frets?
muffled like you left a pick in strings?
Muted like loose strings?
Define muted for us.
is it a cheap guitar?
Acoustic or electric?

A few weeks sitting should not matter unless something hit it. Check neck for twist or bow. Check the nut and bridge to see if its cracked. Really heavy strings can do nasty things to your guitar also.

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:

thanks for the response.

It's an acoustic, and it was about $800. It does sound like a guitar pick is stuck in there, but there isn't one. The strings are the same ones it came with almost 2 years ago, so would assume that they didn't put strings on there that would harm it.

Could it have anything to do with the action? The guy I was getting lessons from always had to adjust it...said for some reason the guitar was sensitive.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

yeah how was it stored? leaning against a wall? face to the wall or back to the wall? in a guitar stand? in a guitar case?

i would say that you need to get it set up and while the guitar shop does that then they will put new stings on for ya

supaplex
 Rep: 57 

supaplex wrote:
jamester wrote:

muffled like buzzing the frets?
muffled like you left a pick in strings?
Muted like loose strings?
Define muted for us.
is it a cheap guitar?
Acoustic or electric?

Neemo wrote:

yeah how was it stored?
leaning against a wall?
face to the wall or back to the wall?
in a guitar stand?
in a guitar case?

what kind of toilet paper do you use?
do you sleep on the right side of the bed or on the left?

sorry! i just had to 19

mitchejw

mitchejw wrote:
Neemo wrote:

yeah how was it stored? leaning against a wall? face to the wall or back to the wall? in a guitar stand? in a guitar case?

i would say that you need to get it set up and while the guitar shop does that then they will put new stings on for ya

It was in a case standing upright in the hall.  Are you saying I should take it to the shop and have them fix it up...or set it up as you called it?

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

Always!

On a new guitar  and even sometimes on a used one. Makes all the difference in the world. If you cant see a twist/bow in the neck or damaged nut/bridge the guitar tech will likely tell you as soon as he looks at it whats wrong.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
mitchejw wrote:
Neemo wrote:

It was in a case standing upright in the hall.  Are you saying I should take it to the shop and have them fix it up...or set it up as you called it?

personally i leave it to the professionals to make sure my guitars are working properly especially if the neck is a bit out, some people adjust them on their own but i dont trusts myself ... if you leave it in the case like that make sure its tilted back a bit so the bottom of the neck is resting on the little saddle in the case...personally i prefer a good gutiar stand, that way you know the guitar is sitting properly ... you can get one for prolly $10-15 ... besides if its out in your face you will be more likely to play it more often, and you wont feel so put out to grab the guitar case, lay it down, open it up. etc etc wink

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer