You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Duff on Gnr split

Sky Dog wrote:

Sky Dog wrote:

Duff McKagan says he has never had any personal problems with Axl Rose and the cracks which formed, and eventually tore Guns N’ Roses apart, were deliberately created by lawyers looking to make a quick buck.

The bassist quit GNR in 1997, following in the footsteps of Slash and Izzy Stradlin, leaving Axl as the only classic line-up member remaining.

But he reveals the whole situation was created by outside influences and not by any disagreement or personal issue between the band and Axl. He told AV Club:

“I never had a personal beef with Axl, truth be told. Lawyers and stuff in that instance, it was kind of treacherous. They make money and try to create enemies between clients.

“I wish they’d teach that course. If there was a rock ’n’ roll textbook, I could add some shit to it, real valuable shit. We were torn apart by people who weren’t in the band, and that’s really what always happens.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

good find mate

Sky Dog wrote:

a little more in depth
http://www.avclub.com/articles/duff-mckagan,56106/

I guess this should be in another section....some cool info in there as well about specific songs...

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Man classic GN'R were genious.

GREAT interview. Best one i've read in years.

I really like how Duff talks about individual songs. I just wish he'd went into a bit more detail about the Sympathy For The Devil sessions.

I also liked his comments on One In A Million. Totally agree, have from day one.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

cool read thanks for posting madagas big_smile

Sky Dog wrote:

I thought the West Arkeen stuff was cool and the Jungle stuff. Man, AFD was such lightning in a bottle. Funny how no one gives Arkeen shit but they give Tobias/Huge shit all day. To me, kinda shows you outside guys were in the mix always. Anyhow, good stories.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

The only ones who ever started that "fuck Paul" shit was Slash & Duff. They forget that.

Yet Paul was around from day one. Hell, Paul was the one hitchhiking with Axl to New York City, which eventually ended up being the inspiration for Jungle.

Paul also worked on Back Off Bitch, which was actually an 'earlier' written song, that was just reworked for UYI I.

Paul was always there. So was West. And in today's times, cats like Caram Costanzo.

The only reason fans bagged on Paul, was because Slash & Duff encouraged it. Something changed during that recording of the Sympathy cover. Not only was it already strained beyond belief (even Duff alludes to this), but I think Slash was pissed as hell that Axl fired Gilby, in favor of Paul, because the entire band loved Gilby, and for no good reason Axl shitcanned him. Then they record the song, and when Paul re-recorded Slash's parts and no one told him about it, he flipped. And I don't blame him. I would've flipped the fuck out too.

But there was something behind the scenes. Something none of us have ever been told on either side. I don't know about Duff, but I certaintly got the impression from Slash & Matt over the years, and to a slight extent Duff, that those guys fucking hated Paul before that with a purple passion for SOME reason, and his inclusion in the band was doomed from the start.

Firing Gilby for Paul was almost like Axl spittin' on their boots and daring them to a showdown at high noon. He wanted it at that point.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

And don't forget that Paul is a really shitty guitar player. He's the worst guitarist I've ever seen in a band that released an album.

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:

And don't forget that Paul is a really shitty guitar player. He's the worst guitarist I've ever seen in a band that released an album.

James, you want to answer this? 16

Board footer