You are not logged in. Please register or login.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

Re: DJ ASHBA Recalls 'Funny' Bar Fight Involving AXL ROSE -

mickronson wrote:

Axl still has that snarl about him to make a good rocker I think.....

lOPTq.jpg

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

^^ haha!

I pretty much agree with everything John is saying. CD is The White Album compared to anything Sixx AM has done. Just generic bullshit, radio rock.

I don't know what kind of hard rocker I could expect from Axl at this point. He's defintiely moving towards that Queen sound he's been driving to since UYI, in that he's not making typical hard rock music, especially what's out there today. Better could be classified as a ballad or rocker. I don't even know how to describe it. I think that's where his mind is now. If I remember right, he said in the chats he doesn't think of the songs in "hard" or "soft" terms.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

The thing is I don't think it would happen that way though.

If you look at the old rocker songs, you see the kickass riffs of Slash/Izzy - and the kickass vocals of Axl - and the sum of the parts elevates it to another level.

When you take Slash or Izzy alone...well personally I still enjoy the shit out of it - I love Snakepit and the Solo album - but I will admit while I feel the riffs and the guitar is just as good as AFD, it looses something having a different lyric writer/vocalist etc.

So my point is..you guys are making the wrong comparision.

Sixx:Am shows what DJ is capiable of *without* Axl's influence. Just as Snakepit/VR and the solo project show what Slash is like without Axl.

Add Axl's song ideas/melodies/pressence and style to the Snakepit1 riffs and you would have had an AFD not Axl singing snakepit songs.

Likewise..it's not like you would get Six:Am performed by Axl...you would get the riffs and cool shit of Sixx:Am but with the added depth of writing Axl brings to stuff.

I don't think Axl's ever going to make a straight ahead radio rock album. But CD does show his songwriting abilities on ballads, and we know he can write rockers when put with a riff master like slash...so that DJ when working alone can produce an album with good riffs and stuff like SixxAm - shows that with Axl's influence it could be pretty cool..

Sky Dog wrote:

people forget Axl's voice is an "instrument"...there are not many "cats" that have that swagger, intensity, snarl, and charisma with their vocals. He's Johnny Rotten, Plant, Jagger, and Tyler in one big fucked up mix....throw in some wanna be Elton as well. He is pretty unique.

So, Monkey, yes....those riffs are just riffs without those vocals....no doubt.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
johndivney wrote:

with the exception of a reunion it's the very last place Axl needs to be

compare Prostitute for example to anything on TIGH or the VR albums & it's just mindblowing the difference in imagination & ambition between Axl & his hard rock contemporaries
Axl is on the right track chasing his vision(s) rather than subscribing to the generic norm - & GnR have always been that way. the only issue is the amount of time & procrasting that goes on. if Axl/GnR ever released an album as asinine as TIGH it would spoil the legacy much more than any of the ridickulous behaviour of the last 20yrs.
the only thing worse than GnR releasing a generic cock/pop rock album would be a reunion.

Dude Robin & Bucket are LONG GONE.

Do you actually, honestly think you're gonna get another industrial-soft rock album with DJ & Ron in 2011/12?

Come on, Axl can only work with what he's got. He's gonna HAVE to do a cock rock album with DJ or Slash. Doesn't matter. He's in the same place.

It's time for Axl to go back to doing what he USED to do best. Be the Aerosmith-inspired hard rocker with Queen-stadium ballad rocker he used to be.

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Do you actually, honestly think you're gonna get another industrial-soft rock album with DJ & Ron in 2011/12?

Come on, Axl can only work with what he's got.

Yeah but from many accounts what he's got is 1-2 albums worth of unrealased tracks from his industrial era.

Also reading between the lines from Ron's interviews, I got the impression Ron is keen to write brand new tracks but Axl's next logical agenda will be to return to work on the remaining 2002 era tracks and so he's patiently waiting.

I dunno...I'd love more than anyone to hear the DJ/Axl album - but I think most likely step at the moment is the release of Checkmate and those type of era tracks with some DJ/Ron additions.

But who knows - it's GNR!

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

If Axl releases it as is, it will definitely have some appeal to the hardcores, especially us Bucket fans like myself.

But a Robin/Bucket album re-recorded by DJ & Ron... fuck off... seriously. I'd rather just have the demos leak.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
johndivney wrote:

& if you want, compare the quality & ambition of the CD ballads to the lackluster generic ballads that soil the latter half of TIGH for an explicit example of the difference in vision of GnR compared to other modern hard rock bands.

I think you missed my point a little, I was saying Axl's ambition lies in his ballads, to which Sixx:A.M can't compare at all. So I agree that the soft numbers on TIGH are pretty generic, whereas TWAT, Madagascar and TIL are anything but.

But, having said that, I still think rockers on CD are bland for the most part, and find Sixx:A.M.'s rockers are a lot better than the likes of CD, Shacklers and IRS.

Axlin16

Axlin16 wrote:

Axl's ballads are his baby's. After CD, AND based on Baz's comments about the vault - Axl continued to record UYI-styled ballads.

It's his thing, and he does it WONDERFULLY. Even on CD.

Axl's rockers are what friggin' blew. For all of the love people showered over his "average for GN'R" rockers, go listen to Slash or Izzy's rockers or Duff's punk & grunge-influenced stuff. They do rockers alot better than Axl imo.

Sixx:AM also do rockers alot better than new GN'R.

I think DJ writing rockers, with Ron throwing in some technical guitar, possibly with Tommy doing the Izzy-styled Stones-rockers, Dizzy throwing in that Stones-piano, and Axl pumping out another half-album of nothing but UYI ballads...

GN'R could make another AMAZING album that pleases old fans, CD fans, bring in new fans, and make an album that surpasses CD EASILY.

I believe in Axl and the new Guns, I just wish they would believe in themselves.

johndivney wrote:
monkeychow wrote:

The thing is I don't think it would happen that way though.

If you look at the old rocker songs, you see the kickass riffs of Slash/Izzy - and the kickass vocals of Axl - and the sum of the parts elevates it to another level.

When you take Slash or Izzy alone...well personally I still enjoy the shit out of it - I love Snakepit and the Solo album - but I will admit while I feel the riffs and the guitar is just as good as AFD, it looses something having a different lyric writer/vocalist etc.

So my point is..you guys are making the wrong comparision.

Sixx:Am shows what DJ is capiable of *without* Axl's influence. Just as Snakepit/VR and the solo project show what Slash is like without Axl.

Add Axl's song ideas/melodies/pressence and style to the Snakepit1 riffs and you would have had an AFD not Axl singing snakepit songs.

Likewise..it's not like you would get Six:Am performed by Axl...you would get the riffs and cool shit of Sixx:Am but with the added depth of writing Axl brings to stuff.

I don't think Axl's ever going to make a straight ahead radio rock album. But CD does show his songwriting abilities on ballads, and we know he can write rockers when put with a riff master like slash...so that DJ when working alone can produce an album with good riffs and stuff like SixxAm - shows that with Axl's influence it could be pretty cool..

it's 5 o'clock somewhere/ju ju hounds/river/a load of loaded all have material that would be fit for the GnR banner without any tinkering of the music. only add axl's vocals & a ton of those songs would rank as great as anything GnR ever did. not one song on TIGH is worthy of the GnR name. not one iota of one song.

those guys were & are simply far better & more imaginative song writers than ashba has shown.

dj's songs & playing are just like his image: cliched, embarrassing & stuck in a really terrible 1980s sunset strip party.

Board footer