You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: Post your favourite fookin' GNR songs and tell us why!

Sky Dog wrote:

Civil War hit the radio in July 1990...a year before UYI II came out. It was GNR's first true epic, and I just thought it was so bad ass. Plus, the version off the charity album was a slightly different mix which I prefer.

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
madagas wrote:

Civil War hit the radio in July 1990...a year before UYI II came out. It was GNR's first true epic, and I just thought it was so bad ass. Plus, the version off the charity album was a slightly different mix which I prefer.

A year before? Are you sure about that? I didn't hear any new Guns N' Roses on radio untill YCBM in the spring/summer of 1991. Civil war was on the YCBM single. I would think Civil War being on radio in 1990 would've been pretty huge.

Civil War and Estranged would've both been huge singles but they released so many singles before them off those albums that I think maybe it was oversaturation of Gn'R and some strong, strong tracks sufferd in terms of being successful singles. Civil War in 1990 would've been a massive hit man if it was on radio.  So..... I'm not saying it's not true cause I don't know I just don't see how that song could've been on radio and gone unoticed by the general public for almost two years untill they released the crappy Tokyo performance as the video.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

nope Madagas is correct...came out in the summer of 1990 on the Romanian Angel Appeal Benifit CD

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=4158

madagas wrote:

Plus, the version off the charity album was a slightly different mix which I prefer.

what was different? is it noticable? its been forever since i heard that version...like since UYI came out ... 16

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

while we are talking Civil War

My real all time favs from GnR are Civil War, Sweet Child and One in a Million

then usually Dont Cry and Patience are in there somewhere...and breakdown

Its so Easy, Brownstone, estranged and pretty tied up prolly would round out my top 10

Sky Dog wrote:
Bono wrote:
madagas wrote:

A year before? Are you sure about that? I didn't hear any new Guns N' Roses on radio untill YCBM in the spring/summer of 1991. Civil war was on the YCBM single. I would think Civil War being on radio in 1990 would've been pretty huge.

Civil War and Estranged would've both been huge singles but they released so many singles before them off those albums that I think maybe it was oversaturation of Gn'R and some strong, strong tracks sufferd in terms of being successful singles. Civil War in 1990 would've been a massive hit man if it was on radio.  So..... I'm not saying it's not true cause I don't know I just don't see how that song could've been on radio and gone unoticed by the general public for almost two years untill they released the crappy Tokyo performance as the video.

It was on the radio in the summer of 1990 in Atlanta, Ga...for sure...100%...don't know if it was a formal single or not but it was on the radio.

Sky Dog wrote:
russtcb wrote:
Neemo wrote:

nope Madagas is correct...came out in the summer of 1990 on the Romanian Angel Appeal Benifit CD

http://www.gnrevolution.com/viewtopic.php?id=4158

madagas wrote:

Plus, the version off the charity album was a slightly different mix which I prefer.

what was different? is it noticable? its been forever since i heard that version...like since UYI came out ... 16

I was thinking the same thing. I'm not saying there's nothing different, I just cannot for the life of me remember what it is.

not a big deal. I just remember the UYI version being a little slower...there was a distinct difference in pace and mix from the studio/radio version in 1990 to the UYI version. I can't describe it now but it was clear to me at the time.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:

Yeah Civil War got massive radio play in 1990. It was played like it was number one on the Top 40 charts. Only reason it couldn't chart is because it wasn't an official single. Hard rock and pop stations were playing it.

Yeah it was the B side to YCBM in 1991 but no one gave a fuck about that as they only wanted to hear YCBM at the time. The world was burnt out on Civil War but it was a cool gesture by the band to include it as very few people actually owned that charity album.

jorge76
 Rep: 59 

jorge76 wrote:

I don't remember massive play, but I specifically remember hearing it on the way to a football game my freshmen year of high school (fall 1990) and at least a few other times. 

Then I hadn't heard it for months by the time the albums came out, or for that matter already by May '91 when I saw a live show. 

Now that it's in my head, I remember playing the radio specifically hoping to hear it again.  I remember hearing whistling multiple times and getting excited only to be disappointed when I got to the radio and it ended up being Winds Of Change.

James
 Rep: 664 

James wrote:
jorge76 wrote:

I don't remember massive play

Maybe it was a regional thing. I was in California and it was played constantly.

getting excited only to be disappointed when I got to the radio and it ended up being Winds Of Change.

Board footer