You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Re: The Tommy Stinson Thread

Sky Dog wrote:

yep...it's Tommy's fault..:rolleyes:..only one person responsible for Gnr's "Situation". Cut the crap, weak ass excuses and put the blame 100% on the shoulders of the owner. Axl is the Jerry Jones of the music industry. 19

estrangedpaul
 Rep: 5 

Didn't see this posted here..

http://www.delawareonline.com/article/2 … ext|Home|s

The album features contributions from Gersh, who played drums with Stinson in Perfect, and Dizzy Reed, the keyboard player for Guns 'N' Roses. And speaking of GNR, Stinson recently returned from another massive tour with them in Europe, a jaunt stacked with shows featuring fireworks, canyon-wide stages, a forrest of towering amps and a supersized lineup boasting a three-guitar attack.

"It's a little over the top, yeah. Big rock fun. It's a lot of work. It's a monster to get going. It's not an easy gig, I'll tell you that."

It also probably wasn't easy to endure Rose's off-kilter behavior in the late 1990s and early 2000s, which resulted in cancelled shows and starts and stops in recording for the "Chinese Democracy" album, which came out in 2008. In fact, when Stinson joined up with Axl in 1996, it was a complete head-scratcher for long-time Replacements fans.

"I never really was thinking that's where I'd want to go necessarily. It was almost sort of like the best thing for me at that time. I really just wanted to play bass for someone for awhile and take the stress of being a lead guy off myself, and also it seemed like about the most punk rock thing I could get involved with at the time. Axl was really trying to do something that no one had done or made a success out of before.

"Not that 'Chinese Democracy' was necessarily a huge success, but I think in a lot of ways it was, because it came out and, you know, people bought it."

The last part was just incredible...saying the only way CD was a success was coz, you know, people bought it!

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:

"Not that 'Chinese Democracy' was necessarily a huge success, but I think in a lot of ways it was, because it came out and, you know, people bought it."

faldor
 Rep: 281 

faldor wrote:

Well considering all the "downloading motherfuckers", the countless leaks, the lack of promo from the band and label, and the list goes on and on.  I'd say it was quite the success the fact that people bought it.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I also think in 2011 (or 2008), like many of them, including Axl, Ron & Chris have all alluded to - you have to take into consideration... downloads. Illegal or legal. Today, that is a true measure of interest, and based on illegal downloads (including leaks), CD is probably a legendary album in rock.

As for Tommy, we kind of poo poo CD's album sales, because we're all old Gunners used to AFD, Lies & UYI "all fucking time"-type numbers... but for someone like Tommy... CD is probably the most album-successful thing he's ever done.

Did the Mats' or Soul Asylum ever go Gold? I don't think so.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I also think in 2011 (or 2008), like many of them, including Axl, Ron & Chris have all alluded to - you have to take into consideration... downloads. Illegal or legal. Today, that is a true measure of interest, and based on illegal downloads (including leaks), CD is probably a legendary album in rock.

As for Tommy, we kind of poo poo CD's album sales, because we're all old Gunners used to AFD, Lies & UYI "all fucking time"-type numbers... but for someone like Tommy... CD is probably the most album-successful thing he's ever done.

Talking about the downloading mofos... When you act towards your fan base like Axl does, then don't be surprised if a lot of people who'd be interested in your music say 'fuck you' and either don't even give themselves (and you) the chance to like your new music, or simply download it. It's a lesson Axl should learn. He can dictate on the live shows, but every fan can dictate in front of his/her computer.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:
Rolling Stone wrote:

Stinson cut the vast majority of album in Los Angeles and Philadelphia, but the title track came to life on a recent Guns N' Roses tour. "We were having a little dispute within the ranks of the bus," Stinson says. "Somebody had an issue with somebody  and there were some e-mails that went around and someone included me in the exchanges. It was like, 'Man, don't include me in your needs. I've got my own issues. I'm a one-man mutiny.'

""One Man Mutiny" was inspired by a conversation between our tour manager Del James, Richard Fortus, and myself somewhere in Ireland."

misterID
 Rep: 475 

misterID wrote:
Mikkamakka wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

Talking about the downloading mofos... When you act towards your fan base like Axl does, then don't be surprised if a lot of people who'd be interested in your music say 'fuck you' and either don't even give themselves (and you) the chance to like your new music, or simply download it. It's a lesson Axl should learn. He can dictate on the live shows, but every fan can dictate in front of his/her computer.

That's not really fair though, considering bands a that are really good to their fans have big problems with their fans downloading their music and not paying for it.

johndivney wrote:

i think mikka has a point - axl's relationship with the buying public & one-time gnr fans did cost them a LOT of sales

i think you could tack on @ least another mil in sales if there had been a bit more goodwill & communication shown towards those interested. instead it seemed like axl took the interest of people as an unwelcome burden & went out of his way to distance himself from would-be fans.

Sky Dog wrote:

Board footer