You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Re: Robin's Robin (Shows @ Sonoma, CA, 16-17/09/11)

Gibbo wrote:

Hes sucks arse and looks like a freak in his early days in gnr

monkeychow
 Rep: 661 

monkeychow wrote:

I didn't like him as a slash-replacement for the bulk of the AFD/UYI solos because he plays in a very different style.

That said, I do really enjoy what he plays on CD, and his NIN work.

I also appriciate that he has an unusal style and approach to guitar.

To me he's got a particular purpose as a player. I wouldn't want him on everything and anything, but his style definately has it's place when it's used well.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
buzzsaw wrote:

Everything about him bugs me.  He's waving his guitar around like he's playing some complex, moving material, yet if you listen it's something a junior high band could play.  I thought for a long time that maybe the reason I didn't like him was just because he wasn't playing Slash's stuff well, but it isn't that...he's just not that good.  If the song in the first post is an example of his "style" I'm just not getting it.

i think my opinion of Robin is pretty well documented...but yeah my sentiments as well

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
misterID wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:
misterID wrote:

Sounds great to me. Thing with Robin is that he's not setting out to turn anyone on or concerned about playing in the confines of anyones expectations. He's doing his own thing. Definitely not everyones cup of tea 16

That's another way of saying - you suck.

Nope. Just doing his thing. It really doesn't matter what anyones opinion of him is, I dig him. Axl digs him. Trent digs him. Russ digs him. Who cares who hates him? Just like I dig Johnny Marr and Kurt Cobain's guitar playing. The former is who Robin's video up top reminded me of.  smile

I never could stand Robin's own hipster package. I can't fuckin' stand guys like that. Tries way too hard to be uber-cool, with such average talent.

Robin's style is just a continuation of the Punk and Alt scene. Got no problem with it, seeing I grew up around that stuff.

I don't really understand your obsessive anger over the way people dress or their style, that's why I left it alone in the other thread, so I'll leave you to it. 16

As for his "theatrics" when he plays; it's no different than those guys who make all those goofy ass faces when they play. They're not doing it for attention, it just happens when they play. It just comes out.

Huh?

I don't have any sort of obsessive anger over the way they or anyone dresses. Neither obsessed nor angry. I don't give a flying shit. They could dress in their birthday suit for all I care.

But when someone makes an active effort to look cool (think DJ), i'm gonna comment on it, because that's what they want me to do. They are going above and beyond to look cool, and alot of time - failing.

alexh0618
 Rep: 14 

alexh0618 wrote:

If people hear actually saw Robin live with NIN or '06 GNR they wouldn't be bashing him. IMO he stole the show when I saw those bands perform. Yea maybe he can't play 129301 notes a minute cleanly or he doesn't replicate Slash perfectly like DJ does but don't you guys realize that's not what he's trying to do? He was waaaaayyy out of place in GNR. Some people just can't accept that the guy shows emotion in a different way when playing guitar compared to the cookie-cutter session musicians in GNR today.

Mikkamakka
 Rep: 217 

Mikkamakka wrote:

Robin's playing is hurting my ears. He cannot bend, yet he's bending all the time. He can't even play a proper note, cause he's pressing the neck of the guitar so hard and strong, like he'd be battling with an anaconda.
It's simple as that. I don't have anything against him as a person (unlike Tobias or Ashba), he seems to be a good guy, his acions speaks for themselves. But he cannot play. It's not that he's different, it's that he's really bad. Even secondary school bands have higher standards. He was a good fit in NIN, cause that's about noises, but he's terrible for any melodic music. He can create good things (the SoD solo is the example), but he can't even play his own stuff.

apex-twin
 Rep: 200 

apex-twin wrote:

Just curious Mikka,

What's your opinion on NIN?

RussTCB

RussTCB wrote:

removed

Board footer