You are not logged in. Please register or login.

jamester
 Rep: 84 

Re: DUFF MCKAGAN: Autobiography Book-Signing Events Announced

jamester wrote:

Duff McKagan's (VELVET REVOLVER, GUNS N' ROSES, DUFF MCKAGAN'S LOADED) much-anticipated autobiography, "It's So Easy (And Other Lies)", is scheduled to arrive on October 4 via Touchstone Books (formerly Touchstone Fireside), a division of Simon & Schuster. Check out the book cover below.
duffmemoir.jpg
Duff has scheduled the following book-signing events:

Tuesday, October 4
Strand Book Store Event at 7 p.m.
828 Broadway
New York City, 10003

Wednesday, October 5
Bookends Event at 7 p.m.
211 E. Ridgewood Ave.
Ridgewood, NJ 07450

Thursday, October 6
Book Revue Event at 7 p.m.
313 New York Avenue
Huntington, NY 11743

Saturday, October 8
Barnes & Noble Costa Mesa Event at 2 p.m.
901 B South Coast Drive
Costa Mesa, CA 92626

Sunday, October 9
Barnes & Noble Santa Monica Event at 2 p.m.
3rd St. Promenade, 1201 3rd St.
Santa Monica, CA 90401

Tuesday, October 11
Book Soup Event at 7 p.m.
8818 Sunset Blvd.
West Hollywood, CA 90069

Sunday, October 16
Mall of America Event at 2 p.m.
60 E. Broadway
Bloomington, MN 55425

Tuesday, October 18
Powell's Books Event at 7:30 p.m.
1005 W. Burnside
Portland, OR 97209

Wednesday, October 19
University Book Store Event at 7 p.m.
4326 University Way NE
Seattle, WA 98105

Thursday, October 20
Third Place Books Event at 7 p.m.
17171 Bothell Way NE
Lake Forest Park, WA 98155

Friday, October 21
Elliott Bay Book Company Event at 7 p.m.

Saturday, October 22
Warwicks Event at 6:30 p.m.
7812 Girard Avenue
La Jolla, CA 92037

Please note: Duff will only be signing copies of "It's So Easy (And Other Lies)". Any memorabilia or outside items will not be signed.

In a recent interview with Rolling Stone magazine, McKagan stated about the 304-page hardcover, "It's not really my story, it's really not even my autobiography or memoir. I think that term is overused. It is a story of some shit that happened to me, but probably not the typical [things] what people might expect. It's not my story of GUNS N' ROSES or VELVET REVOLVER. All of those things are sort of in it, because they're things I bounced through as I was getting deeper and deeper into addiction and finding my way out. It was challenging going through some of these things that I hadn't thought about for a long time. And writing forces you to take your own part of your life, of what role you actually played — as opposed to the one you make up later on."

Speaking to Icon Vs. Icon, Duff stated about "It's So Easy (And Other Lies)", "It is my story as I would tell it in my writing, not as I would sit down and tell you my story because I wouldn't really know how to tell you my story. I can write it and get into the bleaker, darker things a lot easier and the more joyful things that have happened, especially after I got sober. It is basically a story of 'How did a guy like me get from Seattle to addiction, totally, fully addicted? How did that happen?' Because the most common question that I get asked in private is, 'How did you get sober?' I get asked that a ton by people that are still out there using. So I wrote about it. I wrote about how I got into that place. [Laughs] It is also my story of playing in punk rock bands up [Seattle] and going down to L.A. and the first band that formed was GUNS N' ROSES. That band wasn't the reason that I got addicted. It was just the situation that I was in. Drinking, drugs and whatnot was completely condoned, especially by our band. I am not blaming anyone else. I take my part in my life. I take accountability for myself. I think that too often we go through life and if something like that happens in your life, you are quick to point a finger and say, 'Well, those motherfuckers …' or 'That guy…' or 'Us going on late was that guy's fault …' or 'it was management.' I just took accountability for things that I probably could have done differently. Going all the way into the addiction part was gnarly to write about. I really hadn't figured that to happen but I went through a couple of months of really saying, 'Whoa! Fuck! I never even thought about this stuff. It is in my past.' I think it is a good book [pauses] because I wrote it! [Laughs] I am editing it so I have written and read the words, different edits, about eight to 10 times! I think it is good. I can't tell anymore."

When asked if he had any reservations about telling his story, Duff said, "Well, here's the deal. I wrote the book myself. You write alone. You don't write with someone else sitting there. I was sitting there like, 'I'm not going to sit here and throw someone under the bus.' No one else that is part of my story asked me to write about them here, ya know? In making that sort of my mantra, I started to discover my part in things. I had reservations about confidences of old bandmates and friends. If you are a bandmate or a friend of someone, you don't leave that band or friendship and start telling everyone things. That is sorta like gossiping. Kinda like 'chick shit.' But whatever, that isn't the point. I wouldn't do that. I think that my story is interesting enough and will have relevance to the people. I think that 'rock people' will like the book. You know, I'm a dad and I think that parents will like the book. The book starts off at my daughter's 13th birthday and then unravels to the past and comes forward again. I don't know if you have read any of my Seattle Weekly columns but, like I said, it is told in that voice, from now. My reservations were, 'What does the book company want? Do they want a GUNS N' ROSES book?' because if they want that, there are enough of those out there. I don't need to write another one of those and I don't have a burning desire to unleash and I don't have some burning secret that I need to tell."

Based on the 40-page proposal that made the rounds of publishing houses in February 2010, McKagan's book will begin on the day in 1994 when his pancreas burst from alcohol abuse. It will recount his rise through the music scene, his fall into drug abuse and his recovery, which included two years of celibacy and a degree in finance from Seattle University.

A sample of Duff's writing which may, or may not, end up in the forthcoming book can be found at SeattleWeekly.com.

Duff's VELVET REVOLVER/GUNS N' ROSES bandmate Slash has published his own book, as has ex-GUNS drummer Steven Adler, who released his life story, "My Appetite for Destruction: Sex, and Drugs, and Guns N' Roses", in July 2010.

RussTCB
 Rep: 633 

RussTCB wrote:

removed

DCK
 Rep: 207 

DCK wrote:

Duff, unlike Slash, knows how to write. I'm buying.

mickronson
 Rep: 118 

mickronson wrote:
BLS-Pride
 Rep: 212 

BLS-Pride wrote:

I will be there in jersey on the 5th. Same place Slash had his signing event. Can't wait. That will make 3 out of the original 5 I have met.

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

nugdafied wrote:

Wow, they sure knew where to cutoff that free peak...

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah this is shaping up to be the definitive chronicle of Guns from one of the original band members.

I wish Axl would write one, but then again that would require him acknowledge Slash actually existed. roll

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:
nugdafied wrote:

Wow, they sure knew where to cutoff that free peak...

Exactly what I was thinking. I was really getting into it and I was like "you're fucking kidding, you stopped right there????" 17

Having read that so far, I'm definitely buying the book! 9

jamester
 Rep: 84 

jamester wrote:

Board footer