You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Re: Guns N' Roses Live From Rock In Rio

Gibbo wrote:
Bono wrote:

It amazes me how polar opposite my two favorite bands are. U2 plays Glastonbury, their first real set at a  festival in over 20 years and they deliver what was one of the best performances of their entire career. Guns N' Roses/Axl shows up to play the biggest festival in the world, one that means a lot to him personally and we all sit here scratching our heads in the aftermath wondering how the fuck it's lasted this long while falling so far. I don't get it.

It''s like having two children, one grows up  to be the president while the other becomes a washed up reality tv star.  And yet you love them both the same..... well almost and in much different ways   14

yer didnt have to be like this he was getting fucked of with him self for forgeting words he could get away with no rehearsing back in the day but he cant know he doesnt care anymore i had a BBQ at my house with a few mate and i was prasing axl up worst thing iv ever done and just got payed out about it all the way throught and just had to sit there and take it axl need to retire its over he was good once other wise hes gonna go down in history as the biggest joke it mite be a bit late

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
metallex78 wrote:

Just watched Estranged again, and it's like a different band on that one song compared with the rest of the set. It's like they REALLY had something to prove by playing Estranged. Shame they didn't have that same attitude for the rest of the performance

Exactlly. For the band it was new and they all know it's a classic among diehard fans. They knew they had to nail it I think. Then there's the same old tired set list that does nothing but further the impression they are a tribute act. They've honestly got to be getting tired of playing other people's music time and time again with no forward progress as a band ready to make new music.  At some point you'd think they'd start to think  "what are we doing here?"

metallex78
 Rep: 194 

metallex78 wrote:

Exactly, I was really hoping this show would be the launch of the new era of this new band. I think we might be all kidding ourselves there.

Sky Dog wrote:

Estranged was good...gonna skip the rest.

johndivney wrote:

is there a HD vid up for d/l anywhere?

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I said before this show that if they didn't come out at Rio and play new music, it pretty much said where the band was heading. I never expected the full blown catastrophe that happened tonight. People looking at this and going "it wasn't that bad", probably still think the 2002 VMA's was the GN'R moment of the decade.

In case you didn't get the memo -- it wasn't. Even Axl called it a "catastrophe". He'll be calling Rio IV the same sooner or later.

No shit... I watched this show with the person whom was going to attend with me in Orlando. Axl literally performed (or "un" performed) himself right out of a ticket buyer. They've pulled out because of the Rio awfulness, and frankly Axl was so awful that even I now don't know if I want to go, if just out of principle alone.

If Axl doesn't care enough to properly prepare himself for a show/tour, why should I pay an unprofessional like that money?

I'm really torn right now, I don't know what to do.

Other than Estranged, This I Love & Street of Dreams.... without a single doubt, and i've seen tons of boots and also attended shows.... that is the WORST Guns N' Roses/Axl show i've ever seen. The fact that it was the Rio stage, makes it even more bizarre.

I have never EVER seen Axl MUMBLE lyrics and half-ass a show like that. With that lack of passion, tells me that 2011 is just another cash grab moment. There's nothing on tap for GN'R to progress.

And that makes me lean to "fuck that" territory. But i'm just not sure yet.

Like others, i'm not shocked by the lack of new songs, but I never ever thought i'd feel like this before the first U.S. tour in 5 years.

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:

Having seen them play Estranged tonight too, it made me go back and listen to the studio cut again. Fuck me, what a great song.

I wonder if Axl felt odd singing "but I'm only 28" at Rio... And maybe that's what set him off anyway. He realised that he's MUCH older than that now...:laugh:

metallex78

metallex78 wrote:
Axlin08 wrote:

I have never EVER seen Axl MUMBLE lyrics and half-ass a show like that. With that lack of passion, tells me that 2011 is just another cash grab moment. There's nothing on tap for GN'R to progress.

I don't think I've ever seen him fuck up lyrics in general. His voice is either good or bad, but to fuck up lyrics that much and that often in such a big show for fans that he cares so passionately about, that says a lot about he doesn't seem to give a fuck.

But on the other hand, he nailed Estranged, which shows he did actually put in some effort.

Who the fuck knows really.

It's hard to support to a guy who continues to sabotage everything he does himself.

Gibbo
 Rep: 191 

Gibbo wrote:

I think if it wasnt for the rain and sound it wouldnt iv been this bad i just think it fucked axl off from the start it didnt help his mood the after NR he was really pissed it must suck being up there in front on so many people and nothing is going right you would just want to die

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

I watched the YouTube video of estranged, thx to whomever posted it.

Don't want to watch the rest, maybe TIL later.

Honestly though. You don't rehearse with your band. You miss your flight then turn up to rio looking like a grumpy teenage who's just been dragged off the couch by his mum.

Axl is probably paid more for that one performance than we will see in a lifetime. He's had more 'holiday' In the past year than we'll also get. He's got access to personal fitness instructors and vocal coaches.  He should've turned up like a prize fighter.

I'm so surprised promoters put up with this, but not surprised at all that the record company can't be bothered.

You simply can't turn up to tour and do your practice in the first few shows. I agree with the 'man up' sentiment.

I completely agree. The man does absolutely nothing (as far as we know) but sit around waiting for hits tours.

Just on a business level alone, you would think Axl was a smart enough business man to protect his voice and body, and see himself as an investment.

Instead he's still convinced it's 1991, and he's in his late 20's. He still thinks he can sit around all this time and wait to show up in sing.

The key difference between tonight's "first performance of 2011", is that Axl looks in alot of ways like a totally different guy than he did in December of 2010, which is kind of shocking.

I'm not even talking how bad he looked, but just his voice and performance alone... he literally acted like he sat at his house and waited until the last nanosecond to show up in Rio and perform.

Remember that vocal coach that Baz recommended that whipped Axl's vocals back in shape and turned him into vintage Axl in 2010?

That was totally gone.

Tonight's Axl sounds like he doesn't visit his vocal coach anymore, and he looks like he doesn't work out at all anymore not about staying slim, i'm no one to talk, but just one running around and "being Axl". Granted the stage was soaked and Axl and the band didn't want anyone getting hurt, but he looked terrible. Winded, out of breath, out of shape, tired... he looked like he's been in bed since Dec. 2010, and Beta just woke him up yesterday.

People talking trash about Axl and claiming "typical Axl"... no... it's not.

I have never seen Axl this "out of it".

DCK wrote:

Didn't Axlin and I have a big discussion over "new songs/no new songs at RIR" a few months back? Who had the opinion there would be no new songs? Me or him? Do you remember that one Axlin? I expected new songs now, but I think I argued in the past I didn't really see it happening, or was that you? If you find it, would be an interesting read...

Next time Axl, go to reharsals you clown.

I don't remember, but i'm pretty sure I didn't say "they'd play new songs".

I don't believe I would say that, because I don't remember being that incredibly stupid.

I never once believed, even back during this summer that Axl would play any new stuff.

All I ever remember stating that was Rio IV was gonna be proof-time for GN'R. Their future would be determined by that show, and I stand by that. No new songs = no real future for new GN'R. I do remember saying something similar to that a few times over the past few months.

And by the looks of tonight, it's even worse than I ever imagined. Other than Estranged, This I Love, and Street of Dreams.... the band (all of them, but Axl was the worst), looked like they wanted to be somewhere else.

I have never seen new GN'R lack so much on-stage chemistry, but tonight was horrible. They literally looked like a band that got thrown together on American Idol and had to perform with each other.

No chemistry at all; no passion at all; no heart at all. They were dead ass.

Olorin wrote:
Scabbie wrote:

I watched the YouTube video of estranged, thx to whomever posted it.

Don't want to watch the rest, maybe TIL later.

Honestly though. You don't rehearse with your band. You miss your flight then turn up to rio looking like a grumpy teenage who's just been dragged off the couch by his mum.

Axl is probably paid more for that one performance than we will see in a lifetime. He's had more 'holiday' In the past year than we'll also get. He's got access to personal fitness instructors and vocal coaches.  He should've turned up like a prize fighter.

I'm so surprised promoters put up with this, but not surprised at all that the record company can't be bothered.

You simply can't turn up to tour and do your practice in the first few shows. I agree with the 'man up' sentiment.

Thats pretty much how I feel.

He doesnt look well though, whether its a poor lifestyle or a medical reason who knows, but I've honestly never seen him look so bloated tired and uninterested.

I find it hard to believe he has been working on a new album during this downtime, I find it hard to believe he even rehearsed once.
This perfomance has killed off any hope I had of this band ever rectifying the mess that surrounded the last album, things are still a mess. I'm not even disapointed anymore I'm so used to the total hamfisted half arsed efforts we get palmed off with, I'm actually more aghast that that they've managed to sully the name Guns N' Roses again.

I cant even be bothered watching anymore of this gig, it fucking sucked man 17

Fucking sucked indeed. It's a shame. I really was pumped for this show and wanted it to go the absolute best for GN'R. I really did.

I completely agree. This band is nowhere near close to rectifying the utter disaster that was Chinese Democracy. They are going absolutely nowhere, and this show is proof in the pudding.

And by "band"...

I mean Axl Rose

DJ, Ron, Richard, Tommy, Frank, Dizzy & Chris all showed up to play and give the people of Rio a legendary show.... Axl's the one that's still in LA.

I don't know what 'that' was out there called Axl Rose, but get rid of it.

And I agree with you (or whoever said it)...

Axl looked off. He looked sick, tired, out of shape, winded, no rehearsal....

He was in the absolute worst shape mentally, physically, and spiritually i've ever seen him on stage.

Board footer