You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Re: Guns N' Roses Live From Rock In Rio

Neemo wrote:

someones timing was off on LALD....messed everyone up 16

also with 8 people in the band as opposed to 4 in U2...more likelyhood of someone messing up...since all 8 need to be in sync

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:
-D- wrote:

Im not sure i agree with that

its like in weight lifting... lets say u can bench 300lbs and i can only bench 200lbs.. I am still getting the exact same benefit benching 200 as u are benching 300.

not same thing...try juggling 4 50lb weights instead of pressing 200...i think that might explain better 16

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:
Ali wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
Ali wrote:

Yeah, not seeing each other in a year is meaningless.  These are grown men with their own lives and Axl has never been one to rehearse with the band, for better or for worse.

Ali

Don't agree Ali, their lack of preparing is the main reason they sounded like a monkey trying to fuck a football out there.  This is how they make money, its the ONE thing they should take serious...

"Their" lack of preparing?  Are you serious?  Did you not read about how BBF streamed their rehearsals? How can you say that they didn't rehearse?  That's completely false.

Axl didn't rehearse with the band, but we have no idea what kind of vocal work he did or didn't do on his own.

Ali

Yes, their lack of preparing as a band led to confusion and bad timing on many songs, including but not limited to, NR, Paradise City, Patience, etc.  ron is the ONLY one that looked like he really practiced.  The Backing Band and AXL all did very good on Estranged, its clear they took that one very seriously.  Axl didn't have to rehearse much 91-93, they played a show every other night, that kept his vocal chops up..

Ali
 Rep: 41 

Ali wrote:
Bono wrote:
Neemo wrote:

well as long as we are being honest...U2 songs are hardly as complicated as gnr tunes...musically or vocally...yeah they are catchy..but technical...not so much

i'm not saying it was totally awful cuz of the rain...but i'm saying it could contribute to the odd flub here and there...over the course of the night...little mistakes can start to wear on ya....that sall i'm sayin...just finished brownstone and tbh seems like a pretty good gig so far...yeah ron messed up on jungle but so what...and axl's voice is a bit rusty but so far i see no reason to proclaim the end of the world yet...my adventure continues

To even suggest rain would impact Gn'R more than U2 because they noodle on the guitar more is a joke. Watch a performanceof Untill the End of the World and get back to me on technicalities of playing guitar. the Edge is all about doing technical shit just doesn't shred and even if he did it wouldn't make a difference. To suggest the rain would effect Axl's voice more than Bono's is an even bigger joke. Fact is rain is rain, bands throughout time have played in it and bands throughout time have put on great shows in it. Rain was a non factor. To suggest it was,  is to look for excuses. Sorry dude just being honest.

-D- wrote:
misterID wrote:

D, you are comparing a 28 year old with a damn near 50 year old, you do realize that, right? I thought he nailed Estranged last night.

Axl is never going to sing the way he did back then again. He didn't have a long shelf life for his voice. His self imposed exile is probably the only reason he can still sing now.

last night people were saying that was the greatest performance of Estranged in the entire history of the band.

I am simply pointing out that it was very good but not the best.

I believe it was the best. I have never liked Estranged live but I liked it last night. Musically they sounded better than the old band(on that song) and vocally I thought Axl was pretty good. Never liked the way he sang it back in the day.

Ali wrote:

It is meaningless, though.  Axl said during the 01/01/01 HOB show something about how he never showed up for rehearsals with the band. So, that was not the variable last night.  It just wasn't.  Axl had an off night, period.

Ali

Did you ever think that Axl has far more off nights than other performers at his level BECAUSE he doesnt' rehearse? I dont' know just a  thought that popped inot my head. Weird how all other top notch performers in this world REHEARSE!

You don't seem to understand what I'm saying.  Rehearsing with the band is not the issue.  I have sung in bands and you do not need to rehearse with the band to work on your breath control/support or vocal conditioning.  You don't need to rehearse with the band to make sure you remember vocal melodies, either.  Therefore, I'm saying rehearsing with the band was not the issue.  Perhaps practicing on his own, working on his vocal conditioning and breath support was, though.

Ali

Ali

Ali wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:
Ali wrote:
Smoking Guns wrote:

Don't agree Ali, their lack of preparing is the main reason they sounded like a monkey trying to fuck a football out there.  This is how they make money, its the ONE thing they should take serious...

"Their" lack of preparing?  Are you serious?  Did you not read about how BBF streamed their rehearsals? How can you say that they didn't rehearse?  That's completely false.

Axl didn't rehearse with the band, but we have no idea what kind of vocal work he did or didn't do on his own.

Ali

Yes, their lack of preparing as a band led to confusion and bad timing on many songs, including but not limited to, NR, Paradise City, Patience, etc.  ron is the ONLY one that looked like he really practiced.  The Backing Band and AXL all did very good on Estranged, its clear they took that one very seriously.  Axl didn't have to rehearse much 91-93, they played a show every other night, that kept his vocal chops up..

Forget it.  If you're going to ignore the facts, there's no discussing this with you.  They rehearsed and rehearsed together.  There is video proof of that.  End of discussion.

Ali

Smoking Guns
 Rep: 330 

Smoking Guns wrote:

GNR is a much more complex band with much more chops than U2.  U2 is good at what they do, where "less is more"... The Edge is a good rhythm player, but even I could play circles around him in the lead dept.  Just watch his solo on "Gimmie Shelter" with Mick Jagger and Fergie.

johndivney wrote:
Ali wrote:
johndivney wrote:
Ali wrote:

Yeah, not seeing each other in a year is meaningless.  These are grown men with their own lives and Axl has never been one to rehearse with the band, for better or for worse.

Ali

it's not unusual but it's also definitely not meaningless - it reconfirms all the bad news we've heard or assumed about this band. the only direction they're heading is towards easy money - but when you're as lazy as Axl then nothing comes easily.

again to stress the point it's 4 yrs since CD & the most we have to go on about new material was Tommy's admission & guesses from an interview/twitter a few weeks back.
it's evidence there is zero desire to move this band forward, that there's zero desire to try.

edit - & we all know how well it's work post-AFD the band being separated by such distances..

It is meaningless, though.  Axl said during the 01/01/01 HOB show something about how he never showed up for rehearsals with the band. So, that was not the variable last night.  It just wasn't.  Axl had an off night, period.

Ali

it isn't meaningless given it's indicative of the general malaise that has spoiled the band since 93

& the fact is, Axl's lack of preparation is a variable each night.
i believe he had at least one rehearsal before HOB 01 & he rehearsed & soundchecked a couple times since 06 but like Bono, or anyone sensible, says practice (& familiarity) make an incredible difference in how you perform your job. i agree he had an off night, i've said as much ten pages ago, but you minimise the chances of an off night thru practice. you think the world's best chef doesn't cook a meal for over a yr is gonna make a masterpiece with their first attempt?! an athlete sits out a season, doesn't train then expects to be a champion first game back?
i dunno what gig you watched but Axl's lack of prep (& professionalism) was p obv to me. & something thats really been obv most of Axl's career...

Ali

Ali wrote:
johndivney wrote:
Ali wrote:
johndivney wrote:

it's not unusual but it's also definitely not meaningless - it reconfirms all the bad news we've heard or assumed about this band. the only direction they're heading is towards easy money - but when you're as lazy as Axl then nothing comes easily.

again to stress the point it's 4 yrs since CD & the most we have to go on about new material was Tommy's admission & guesses from an interview/twitter a few weeks back.
it's evidence there is zero desire to move this band forward, that there's zero desire to try.

edit - & we all know how well it's work post-AFD the band being separated by such distances..

Ali

it isn't meaningless given it's indicative of the general malaise that has spoiled the band since 93

& the fact is, Axl's lack of preparation is a variable each night.
i believe he had at least one rehearsal before HOB 01 & he rehearsed & soundchecked a couple times since 06 but like Bono, or anyone sensible, says practice (& familiarity) make an incredible difference in how you perform your job. i agree he had an off night, i've said as much ten pages ago, but you minimise the chances of an off night thru practice. you think the world's best chef doesn't cook a meal for over a yr is gonna make a masterpiece with their first attempt?! an athlete sits out a season, does train then expects to be a champion first game back?
i dunno what gig you watched but Axl's lack of prep (& professionalism) was p obv to me.

It isn't a post-'93 occurrence, though.  That is what Axl himself said at the first new GN'R gig, ever.  He doesn't rehearse with the band, never has.  The issue may be his individual preparation if anything, not the prep with the band.  The lack of that type of preparation has been a constant throughout GN'R's history so it cannot be a variable in this case.

As you yourself said, preparation can help minimize the chances of an off night, but it does not ever completely eliminate the chance of an off night. 

Frankly speaking, it's impossible to know what Axl did or didn't do, and to what extent, to prepare without him telling us or us being there.

Ali

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Neemo wrote:

....Edge is good at what he does, but he hardly plays a ton of crazy shit night in and night out

luv ya bono 19

the Edge pulls of an incredible amount on a  nightly basis. He's responsible for a lot more than what people who dislike U2 give him credit for. He's an incredible guitar player just not typical in a style that fans of "guitar heros" like.  You can check it out if you want with this clip. All in the pouring rain I might add.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WAH8hV843j8

I'm not taking away anything from the Gn'R guys when it comes to their ability that's why I in fact don't view the rain as an excuse whatsoever because these guys are way too good to let rain effect them to such a  drastic level. The rain was irrelevant unless it dampend Axl's mood but that's it. I don't see how rain had an impact on Ron or DJ's ability to perform. No way.

Saikin
 Rep: 109 

Saikin wrote:

I just watched that PC video.  I have never seen such an uninspired and boring performance by Axl.  The end of Patience, he is just basically going through the motions with zero energy or effort.  It doesn't speak well for the rest of the coming tour.  After seeing how he looks in that video, I would be surprised if the US sees a full tour.

Board footer