You are not logged in. Please register or login.

Manets
 Rep: 9 

Re: Guns N' Roses Rock in Rio Freefall!

Manets wrote:

Obviously, things didn't work out as expected. Why?
When did things started to go off the rails?
The TV doesn't show everything. They can't, they wouldn't show two cameras at the same time.
After reading a lot of the comments on GNR-Brasil today, it was possible to get to know facts that only people on the crowd noticed.
Which is very interesting.

First of all, the concert didn't start well.
Rock in Rio can't have concerts past 5AM, that's a prefecture order.
System Of A Down set was way longer than expected, and yes, the rain DID make things slower on the stage set up.
I saw Fernando running around with his umbrella. He even looked to me when I called him once, but didn't come talk to me.
Del James was also there running around like crazy. But no one had more problems than the LCD guy, the one who puts the LCD with the lyrics.
That guy probably went check each LCD about 5 times, covering it with plastic, setting up the wires, and everything.
And also a guy with a hat, I think it's the Tour Manager. Poor him, he ran a marathon.
Seriously, all the time Guns N' Roses was not on the stage yet there was someone there setting something up.
Cleaning ladies everywhere taking out water, and everything.
Many people left because of the rain. The rain was so heavy that a part of the City of Rock even collapsed.

I have a friend who works on the Rock in Rio crew, he said that because of the rain it was much harder to set the stage to Guns N' Roses.
Fucking rain...
I was all wet, and it was very cold. So I was wet, cold, thirsty, hungry, and tired. But I gave 100% the whole concert.
Then... Guns N' Roses time.
The General was the intro, I didn't know if they were gonna play it or not, but it was still an awesome intro.
And then Chinese Democracy intro.
So yeah, concert would have to be way shorter than expected.

Well, as we all saw, Axl started the concert on a very good mood.
Making jokes, noises and faces. Interacting with the crowd as always. He couldn't run around like other concerts, and in the end of the show he kept kicking the water and jumping on puddles, like if to discharge adrenaline.
The band didn't know what to play. Apart from pre-set song orders, like the first fours and the solos, they didn't know what to play and when to play.
I think we can all agree that the point where everything started to ruin for Rio, in terms of concert lenght and Axl mood was November Rain.
Many mistakes, and Axl got pissed with himself.

Well, I don't know when something happened, nor what happened, but something did happen apart from this. I saw Axl talking to Beta during one of the solos, he was like of explaining something, and was also angry and disapointed. He shrugged a few times while talking to Beta, like "I don't believe it" or "What can I do?"

And then Patience. The way the band started it made it hard for Axl to get in with the whistle. And then, more mistakes, and it was the end.
But, was it?

When Richard Fortus started the Paradise City intro (with mistakes), Axl threw his arms on the air and made an angry and disapointed face. Like if he was thinking "Are you kidding me? Going to end this now?!"

During many moments Axl could have kicked the bucket, thrown everything in the air and just leave. You could see he had an urge to fucking leave the piano on the November Rain outro. But he didn't.
There were some audio problems, but he was patient. Until he finally lost his patience and said "Yeah, I have no patience." Sounded ironic.

But what happened? Was Axl pissed because he had to start later then expected, and then make the setlist shorter? I was shocked when I found out about Axl being disapointed when Paradise City started.
Was Axl pissed because of his mistakes and the band's mistakes? Was he pissed because of Rock in Rio inability to make the stage dry?
I think it's a mix of all that, and a few more things that we don't know, and probably even won't.

An interesting fact though, is that Rock in Rio can't past 5AM, that's a Rio prefecture order. Maybe Medina (promoter) asked Axl to end the show? Notice how when November Rain starts, they just played songs that HAVE to be on a Guns N' Roses concert, classic hits. Notice how Axl made Knocking On Heaven's Door very long... His good humor was back during this song and he was enjoying being there again.

But then Patience, and Paradise City, with the interesting Axl reaction... "Are we really going to end?!"
Just after the Guns N' Roses concert finished, sun was in the sky. It past a little bit of 5 AM. Sure the rain and the System Of A Down longer set added minutes, maybe an hour for Guns N' Roses to come onstage.

The thing is, there was new stuff on the soundcheck yesterday, and if you didn't notice, The General intro was different, just before they cut it.
And we've all seen the setlist. There are new songs.

So although for me and many others it was the best start for the tour, and it may have been not the perfect start in other aspects, there's a long tour ahead. There are some awesome concerts this month, like on Buenos Aires, for more than 60,000 people, and Asunscion for more than 80,000. All GNR only. And I read something about Asunscion PRO-SHOT.

So yeah, it was not perfect, but whose fault is it? Should we blame it all in Axl? I'm not deffending him, I believe it's unacceptable that he is unable to sing his own song and that he gets pissed with it. But why was he disapointed with the concert ending? I mean, not even the weather help.

Just a few images to sum up...
Axl%2525201.png
Axl%2525202.jpg
Axl%2525203.jpg

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

thanks for the commentary manet

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

Yeah man, thanks for the honest insight into the show (unlike some of the other Brazilian fans running around at other sites and Twitter right now)

You were there, but based on what I saw live... I don't think at all it was "Axl was pissed he had to end of the show earlier"

After he fucked up NR and started tearing up... he looked like he was ready to go. Even Tommy at the end of Patience seemingly had to encourage him to get back out there for PC. And of course Axl's look says it all when he opens PC.

Manets

Manets wrote:

After You Could Be Mine, Axl goes off the stage for a while, and the band starts to Jam Sunday Bloody Sunday.
Then, Axl came back and out of nowhere started to play November Rain. He looked angry and sad, maybe because of that he made one or another mistakes. I'm sure he didn't rehearsal, I'm not deffending him, but I'm sure his state of mind didn't help at all.

After November Rain, Axl didn't even introduced Bumblefoot properly into his solo.
After it, Knockin On Heaven's Door. Axl started it very angry too, but he started to get into the song, the good humor was suddenly back and he was enjoying to be there again. Then Nightrain.
Encore... Starts with Patience. "Yeah I have no Patience." It sounded very ironic. Did anyone on the backstage told Axl he has no patience? Well...
And then Paradise City. Axl's reaction may tell a lot, Maybe he was sad because Richard started it, and he didn't want to finish. Or Beta (he was looking at her direction) was unhappy because Axl was really going to end the concert and he could do nothing, as his reaction showed.

Well, the thing is, Rock in Rio has a curfew, 5AM. They can't pass it. And after Guns N' Roses there were still the Rock in Rio ending fireworks, they needed time for that. A minute later, sun was already in the sky.

So I ask you. Do you think it's possible that after You Could Be Mine Axl was called backstage and asked to end the concert?

Notice how after You Could Be, Guns N' Roses only played obligatory songs in a GNR concert, songs that most fans are there to see. Maybe Axl had to end the concert, but there were still HAVE TO PLAY songs on the set, so they came back, did all of them, and left.

Manets

Manets wrote:

Well, if you didn't see this was the planned setlist, as posted on Rock in Rio Official Flickr:
6205893234_cff0da3fd0_o.jpg
Live ?!*@ Like a Suicide
Nice Boys (Rose Tattoo)

Appetite For Destruction
Welcome To The Jungle
It's So Easy
Nightrain
Out Ta Get Me
Mr. Brownstone
Paradise City
My Michelle
Think About You
Sweet Child O' Mine
Rocket Queen

Lies
Patience
Used To Love Her

Use Your Illusion I
Live And Let Die (Paul McCartney)
November Rain

Use Your Illusion II
Knocking On Heaven's Door (Bob Dylan)
Estranged
You Could Be Mine

End of Days
Oh My God

Chinese Democracy
Chinese Democracy
Shackler's Revenge
Better
Street Of Dreams
If The World
There Was A Time
Catcher In The Rye
Scraped
Sorry
I.R.S.
Madagascar
This I Love
Prostitute

Unreleased
Going Down

Solos
James Bond Theme, by Richard Fortus
Mi Amor, by DJ Ashba
Pink Panther Theme, by Bumblefoot
Baba O' Riley (The Who), by Dizzy Reed

Other Covers
Riff Raff (AC/DC)
Whole Lotta Rosie (AC/DC)

And here is a video of Guns N' Roses rehearsing Oh My God:
[youtube]http://www.http[/url]://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Fy2zjfhxU0&feature=player_embedded[/youtube]

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:

how do we know he was disapointed wiht the ending of the comncert? What I got from that was him and Tommy were talking likely about Axl's vocals. Tommy said "I havent' seen you in a  year man and you sound find to me" or something like that. A few seconds later Axl shrugs an throws his arms up.  I dont' think That was Axl being upset the show was ending(in my opinion he wanted out of there as soon as possible) I think he was upset with his own performance.   Rain happens and yes it delays a start for all bands but in the end rarely has an impact on their actual performance.  Axl can power through forgetting lyrics but he missed SO MANY that night so I'm not blaming the guys who set up the monitors either.  Know your songs.

In the and this is Axl's ship. He refuses to do soudchecks, he refuses to rehearse with the band so ultimately it falls on his shoulders. It's not really blaming Axl as much as it is aknowledeging who's responsible for it.

the look on his face in those pictures is that of a guy who's thinking "Why am I even doing this anymore"

Bono
 Rep: 386 

Bono wrote:
Manets wrote:

So I ask you. Do you think it's possible that after You Could Be Mine Axl was called backstage and asked to end the concert?.

Honestly when he left the stage I think he did so because they were getting the piano out from under the stage and the band did their typical jam during that time. Axl always leaves the stage between songs when NR is up next.  the stage is full of crew getting the piano ready. Maybe something was said to him backstage but he left because he always leaves durring that time.

nugdafied wrote:

Weird thought...the new Bumble pics makes me think he was auditioning for a SOAD gig. He obviously has the chops for it. It's about time a player of his caliber moves up the food chain. I don't blame him.

Axlin16
 Rep: 768 

Axlin16 wrote:

I also want to say that "I've got no patience" comment was Axl trying to add some levity to the situation after he got REALLY pissed after he fucked up the Patience lyrics.

I was stunned he didn't throw the mic down like he would've back in the day.

Neemo
 Rep: 485 

Neemo wrote:

agree Axlin

Board footer